Hello!

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
Felix

Re: Hello!

Post by Felix »

"There is evidence that homosexuality is genetic, and therefore heritable."

There's actually a lot of evidence that indicates it can be epigenetic, a result of all the endogenous synthetic estrogens in our environment from plastics and other industrial pollutants.

"But the part I don't understand is how you equate behavior with identity so strongly."

Who is "you" in that sentence?

"I am a musician. Were I to move to a country where music is forbidden on religious grounds, I would be unhappy, but I would not be threatened existentially."

And if the punishment for being caught playing music was imprisonment or death, that wouldn't threaten you "existentially"?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

mattfara50 wrote: May 6th, 2018, 7:25 am
Greta wrote: May 6th, 2018, 3:14 am Gay conversion therapy for starters.
Ironically, I think this might propagate homosexuality. There is evidence that homosexuality is genetic, and therefore heritable. If homosexuals do not procreate, then their genes cease to propagate. By encouraging homosexuals to procreate, one increases the homosexual gene pool. Gay conversion therapy would, at least biologically speaking, do quite the opposite of what you claim.
The "treatment" is ineffective and usually only causes damage. Homosexuality is apparently genetically based, but not necessarily inherited - if so, the human race would have disappeared long ago.

I am also a musician but to equate playing music with one of the most basic and fundamental drives is not in proportion.
mattfara50 wrote:Greta, I think we have improvised too liberally on an introductory post. Would you like to take this discussion into a new thread? What would you like to call it? And thank you very much for talking with me about this. Let me say that I think the LGBT community has suffered immensely, and I don't mean to discount that by questioning your beliefs. I could be utterly wrong about everything I believe in life generally, but the only way for me to find out is to argue my position until it is defeated.
Could we please speak about something else? Truth be told, I detest this subject matter. I wish the poor blighters could be left to get on with it like others.

Speaking as a celibate for, gosh, almost a decade (aside from a brief mistake with an Italian tour bus driver while holidaying in Europe in 2012 - but hey, I was on holidays), I have a far more clear view of sexuality and such rules of engagement than before. These people, variant through the way they are wired, just need to be left to live their lives like anyone else.

If you have more interesting positions, more related to broader aspects of reality than human rules of engagement, then I would be happy to engage.
mattfara50

Post by mattfara50 »

Sure, Greta. Let me part the topic by adding that I am the grandson of a gay man. As oppressive as society was to him, I am grateful he actually procreated. He was a music teacher at a primary school, and at that time, any suspicion of his being gay would have lead to worries of pedophilia. He married and had three children before divorcing to live with a man. He died before I could have any real discussion of the topic with him, unfortunately. I agree that LGBT should indeed be left alone to live their lives like anyone else. Thank you for talking with me.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Thanks Matt. Many of us have queer people in the family. I think I became exhausted on this topic because so many people have come on these forums to dissect them, often unfairly, so it's just my fatigue (and preference for ideas beyond the human). Sorry for being gruff.

It is funny how things turn out at times. Your grandfather had the choice of dealing with external or internal needs, without a realistic choice of satisfying either. Then again, life is simply tough and people endure all manner of things, of which that is one.

Return to “Introductions”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream