Should People Be Allowed to Own Guns?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Spiral Out

Re: Should People Be Allowed to Own Guns?

Post by Spiral Out »

Quotidian wrote:I have a narrow view?
Yes, you have a narrow view. Your view is that the US is destined for one set of circumstances and there is only one solution. And you've determined this from 9,500 miles removed, as a citizen of another country, from a foreign viewpoint, with insufficient and inaccurate information. (No, the news media and your "statistics" are not sufficiently accurate.)

How is that not a narrow view?
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Xris

Post by Xris »

So why should any American not be allowed to own a ballistic missile or obtain explosive devices? What weapons should they not have and why?
Ascendant606

Post by Ascendant606 »

Xris wrote:So why should any American not be allowed to own a ballistic missile or obtain explosive devices? What weapons should they not have and why?
Justify owning a ballistic missile or explosive devices. If you can justify it with a resonable answer that is not "to fight an opressive government" or to "start a rebellion", than you can have it.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Ascendant606 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Justify owning a ballistic missile or explosive devices. If you can justify it with a resonable answer that is not "to fight an opressive government" or to "start a rebellion", than you can have it.
I asked a question. I did not propose a scenario that is suitable for your answer. In America now.What weapons should an any American citizen not be allowed to own?
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

Spiral Out wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Yes, you have a narrow view. Your view is that the US is destined for one set of circumstances and there is only one solution. And you've determined this from 9,500 miles removed, as a citizen of another country, from a foreign viewpoint, with insufficient and inaccurate information. (No, the news media and your "statistics" are not sufficiently accurate.)

How is that not a narrow view?
The argument is about ownership of guns. I am arguing that the high rate of gun ownership is directly related to the fact that America has rates of gun death that are orders of magnitude higher than comparable advanced nations. You may choose to argue whether or not this is a good thing, but you can't argue that it is a fact. The only statistics I have quoted in this thread are published by the FBI. They are not 'my statistics' and they are not 'liberal media lies'. They are a count of people killed by weapons.

'Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but not to their own facts'.
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan
Ascendant606

Post by Ascendant606 »

Xris wrote: I asked a question. I did not propose a scenario that is suitable for your answer. In America now.What weapons should an any American citizen not be allowed to own?
And I gave an answer. Any wepon that people are able to justify reasonably should be allowed.

I fail to see how my answer is not satisfactory. I can justify owning a pistol. I should be able to own a pistol. I cannot justify owning ballistic missles. I should not own a ballistic missle.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Xris wrote:So why should any American not be allowed to own a ballistic missile or obtain explosive devices? What weapons should they not have and why?
Let's not get sidetracked from the issue at hand which is gun ownership. You still have not told me why I cannot own an assault rifle but you want me to tell you why I can or cannot own a ballistic missile? I'll start answering your questions when you've answered mine. Deal?
Quotidian wrote:I am arguing that the high rate of gun ownership is directly related to the fact that America has rates of gun death that are orders of magnitude higher than comparable advanced nations.
The people who are committing these crimes are not gun owners. They are thieves and murderers who have stolen those guns, or have otherwise procured them by illegal means. Why are you not providing THAT statistic? The more guns one owns the less likely they are to be involved in a murder, drive-by shooting, home invasion, robbery, etc. How about THAT statistic? The more guns one owns the less they contribute to the "violence using guns" issue. But hey, feel free to ignore what doesn't help your own case.
Quotidian wrote:The only statistics I have quoted in this thread are published by the FBI. They are not 'my statistics' and they are not 'liberal media lies'. They are a count of people killed by weapons.
Statistics are GARBAGE. Those FBI statistics do not reflect the intricacies of the situational circumstances and lack the proper contexts. They are a generalization of only particular aspects of those incidents. The FBI is not interested in the personal perspectives of each incident, nor are they qualified to make such determinations as to the nature and reason even for their own statistical data.

Do you also think that there are too many robberies due to the fact that we have too much paper money floating around on our streets? Should we ban paper money as well? Do you think a cashless society will eliminate theft? Don't you think that the theft will only move to a different medium and method?

Here's my own solution:
Create a complete national registry of all weapons that would detail all of the necessary information of the ownership of those weapons from the specifics of the weapon itself such as mfg, model & serial #s, origin of sale, etc., to the specifics of the owner such as name, DOB, address, legal history, medical records, etc., IN COMBINATION WITH an amendment to the constitution which specifically states that such information can never be used against the weapon owner in any manner and that it will be kept to the highest level of privacy which is only accessible to the one governmental agency who legally and specifically presides over weapons ownership procedures, and that these weapons shall never be forcefully repossessed in any circumstance (other than from those who have been deemed unfit to own such weapons by reasonable and agreed upon standards as accepted by majority vote of the population of legal US citizens) from any legal US citizen who owns such weapons and who owns said weapons as a private individual citizen, and also to include a clause that states that the amendment is to survive any change in the governmental status such as with any reorganization of the federal government into a "North American Union" with Canada and Mexico.

**For those who qualify to own guns based on the accepted standards, there would be no restrictions as to the number or type of guns owned.**

I'm sure there are other fine details to be added but you get my point.

Would anyone have any objections to that sort of structure for gun ownership?
Last edited by Spiral Out on May 6th, 2013, 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Xris

Post by Xris »

And I gave an answer. Any wepon that people are able to justify reasonably should be allowed.

I fail to see how my answer is not satisfactory. I can justify owning a pistol. I should be able to own a pistol. I cannot justify owning ballistic missles. I should not own a ballistic missle.
Why not? What justified you owning an assault rifle can also be used to owning a missile or explosive devices.
Ascendant606

Post by Ascendant606 »

Xris wrote: Why not? What justified you owning an assault rifle can also be used to owning a missile or explosive devices.
I didn't justify owning an assult riffle. I do not need an assult riffle to protect my family when a pistol or other type of gun would work just as fine. A ballistic missile would be "overkill". I think that each state government should ban the types of guns that they rule to be unjustified.
Eonblue

Post by Eonblue »

Quotidian wrote:Well, I favor any government over a self-appointed militia with automatic weapons.
Are not governments made of the same men that would be in a militia? Do you think a militia lacks institutional integrity or organization? The Revolutionary War was won with the sweat of militias. I find it hard to believe you would choose North Korean Faschism or Mussoulinis Italy over a militia made up of you, your neighbors and family.
Quotidian wrote: It's not outside the realm of possibility, although I don't think it will actually happen in the USA.

You don't "think" it could happen?

Do you really feel comfortable with your naivete?

This peaceful future that doesn't require guns you dream of what does it look like? Does it resemble the world we live in now? This explains why are ideas are worlds apart.
Quotidian wrote:If you actually listen to Wayne LaPierre's speeches, his vision of society is truly Distopian
This is not fact. This is your personal perception. Let me preface by saying you may be right about LaPierre and in fact we stand on the same square but this one man does not invalidate the greater ideology of gun rights activists.
Quotidian wrote:He wants armed guards in every school and people with visible and concealed weapons on every street. You think this is what 'civil society' means? I would have thought that a 'civil society' was one where you didn't have to carry a gun for fear that the guy next to you might be.
Like I said ONE mans political posturing does not constitute the entire movement. I really don't understand how you could so easily prescribe to the possibility of this guy vision of the future.

This is why I don't understand.
Quotidian wrote:It's not outside the realm of possibility, although I don't think it will actually happen in the USA.
You ever so easily dismiss with half a hesitation the idea of a government fascist police state but you believe owning guns will lead to fascist police state because of a speech of a man in a group that supports gun rights.

You would leave us weaker my friend. The weak would get weaker. The strong and the criminals would get stronger. The distribution of illegal gun would sky rocket. The market would grow exponentially overnight. I don't have enough time to explain to you how harmful this is for everyone. Regulation does more harm than it does good. The seniors would get victimized by the criminal. The woman would get victimized by the strong. The father could no longer protect his kid. The hunter could no longer provide himself with food. The population could no longer defend itself from invaders. In a hypothetical apocalypse how will the good defend from the hordes of criminals? How will a person find food after the supermarket shutdowns?

The 2nd amendment is fundamental. It not only reinforces democracy but democracy would not stand without it. It is part of the fabric of this country. I'm not nearly as pro-gun as it would seem but I can't imagine a future where we just perpetually allow the government what we can own. Is this really the type of government you want?
Xris

Post by Xris »

I didn't justify owning an assult riffle. I do not need an assult riffle to protect my family when a pistol or other type of gun would work just as fine. A ballistic missile would be "overkill". I think that each state government should ban the types of guns that they rule to be unjustified.

So you agree with gun control? So I will ask all those who support the gun lobby. What weapons would you not allow? Ballistic missiles,explosive devices, tanks,nuclear submarines. If you envisage a civil war, no weapon should be denied the citizen or should they?
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe »

Quotidian, re post # 72:

At one point the US was a militia too. Self defense is not insurrection, I said nothing of that any group would appoint them self to power. I'm glad you trust the government so much though, someone should, but then again you have very different socio-political experience.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

Since you said "any government" though, it seems you wouldn't mind a fascist state that only uses tear gas, flash-bangs, tasers, fire hoses, dogs, Dazer-Lasers and random beatings; so long as they don't have guns. Those things can all kill and maimed too.

I agree that many of the people in the gun lobby are completely crazy, but responsible people should still be allowed to have guns. Explosive munitions are different, it's exponential harder to prevent collateral damage.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

Wanabe wrote:Since you said "any government" though...
Correction - I should have said, any democratically-elected government. Not, for instance, the North Korean government or some other crazed dictatorship. Any elected government is answerable to the populace, at least in principle, whereas the same may not be said for Wayne LaPierre's 'good guy with a gun'.

I wonder what the founders of the nation meant by 'right to bear arms'. Perhaps the right should be extended to the kind of muzzle-loading muskets that were available at the time. Perhaps they didn't envisage 'arms' to be 'military-grade weapons that can kill or maim tens people in a couple of minutes'.

I think, however, that is probably too subtle a question for the political atmosphere.
Eonblue wrote:You would leave us weaker my friend. The weak would get weaker. The strong and the criminals would get stronger. The distribution of illegal gun would sky rocket.
This is the voice of fear, isn't it? Can't you see this is only fear speaking? Once it takes hold, it spirals, so everyone must have a gun, because of the fear you will be the only one unarmed.

Which president said 'we have nothing to fear but fear itself'?

There's a chart on the Huffington Post about US gun deaths since Newtown. Currently the figure is 2,244.
Last edited by Quotidian on May 8th, 2013, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan
Xris

Post by Xris »

wanabe wrote:Quotidian, re post # 72:

At one point the US was a militia too. Self defense is not insurrection, I said nothing of that any group would appoint them self to power. I'm glad you trust the government so much though, someone should, but then again you have very different socio-political experience.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

Since you said "any government" though, it seems you wouldn't mind a fascist state that only uses tear gas, flash-bangs, tasers, fire hoses, dogs, Dazer-Lasers and random beatings; so long as they don't have guns. Those things can all kill and maimed too.

I agree that many of the people in the gun lobby are completely crazy, but responsible people should still be allowed to have guns. Explosive munitions are different, it's exponential harder to prevent collateral damage.
So you agree with gun control?
Keithprosser3

Post by Keithprosser3 »

I agree that many of the people in the gun lobby are completely crazy, but responsible people should still be allowed to have guns.
Only people who don't want a gun should be allowed to have one.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream