Report posts

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Ami
Favorite Philosopher: Autie Miller

Report posts

Post by Ami »

I've noticed quite consistently now that when I click "report post" I get my own posts ransacked and a "board warning issued". About ten or twelve times now. Obviously this doesn't encourage one to report off-topic, ad hom, spam etc posts. I feel sad to imagine you going though my posts looking for something to take a strange revenge on. I'd suggest taking a few deep breaths? I notice one of the last posts of mine you deleted was for "ad hom"; but it isn't ad hom to point out cognitive distortions, defenses, and projections in another's writing as was clearly stated, analysis isn't a personal attack.
Fun enjoyable days.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Report posts

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Ami wrote:point out cognitive distortions, defenses, and projections in another's writing
Please do not use the forum to discuss whether or not another poster is projecting or to otherwise psychoanalyze other users or to comment on or argue about their personal qualities. What another poster posts could just as well have been a seeming coherent statement written by a literal monkey randomly pressing keys. Address the philosophical ideas and arguments without regard to who wrote them or why, or report them as off-topic and do not respond to them if they are off-topic. Please see the forum rules.

If your posts are deleted and a warning is issued, it is because in my analysis you violated the forum rules not because you have reported another user's post. Plenty of users have gotten warnings and even got put on the moderation queue who never use the report button. It's more likely your deleted post was reported by someone else.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Scott wrote:What another poster posts could just as well have been a seeming coherent statement written by a literal monkey randomly pressing keys. Address the philosophical ideas and arguments without regard to who wrote them or why, or report them as off-topic and do not respond to them if they are off-topic.
Cognitive distortions, projections and defenses make up a portion of the structure and nature of thought. It makes sense to address psychoanalytic issues as many philosophers have, the first that come to mind being Nietzsche and Sartre; this interesting article goes as far as to claim Psychoanalysis as Philosophy. Cognitive distortions line-up largely with the fallacies: dichotomous reasoning = false dilemma fallacy, overgeneralization = hasty generalization, inference-observation confusion = slippery slope, emotional reasoning = appeal to emotion, projective labeling = self-fulfilling prophecy. Since all arguments are fallacies, they are ultimately just a reasoning game like chess. What makes psychoanalytic criticism very different is it addresses the how and why world-views and philosophies emerge: symptoms of the mechanics of egoic consciousness. The sympathetic nervous system continually trying to maintain the persona it created alive, and the way it does that, rather than coming to compassionate peace, is by cognitive distortions, projections and defenses.

But the issue of this thread however wasn't cognitive distortions, (notice the "avoidance") -- The topic was vindictive moderation. The posts I reported were off-topic and/or ad hom. Yet those post were mostly untouched, meanwhile, multiple posts of mine were edited and deleted from days ago in separate threads. It feels very gamey. It feels like a drama mind-game. There seems to be an element of discrimination: few posters are being held to the same standards that I find my posts being subjected too. What's going on seems to me to be 'immature' and 'unprofessional': personal attacks aimed at scoring some sort of point or emotional win. I feel disappointed and embarrassed to see this bullying happening and justified with reference to rules which are not being applied fairly.
Fun enjoyable days.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Ami wrote:
Scott wrote:What another poster posts could just as well have been a seeming coherent statement written by a literal monkey randomly pressing keys. Address the philosophical ideas and arguments without regard to who wrote them or why, or report them as off-topic and do not respond to them if they are off-topic.
Cognitive distortions, projections and defenses make up a portion of the structure and nature of thought. It makes sense to address psychoanalytic issues as many philosophers have, the first that come to mind being Nietzsche and Sartre; this interesting article goes as far as to claim Psychoanalysis as Philosophy. Cognitive distortions line-up largely with the fallacies: dichotomous reasoning = false dilemma fallacy, overgeneralization = hasty generalization, inference-observation confusion = slippery slope, emotional reasoning = appeal to emotion, projective labeling = self-fulfilling prophecy. Since all arguments are fallacies, they are ultimately just a reasoning game like chess. What makes psychoanalytic criticism very different is it addresses the how and why world-views and philosophies emerge: symptoms of the mechanics of egoic consciousness. The sympathetic nervous system continually trying to maintain the persona it created alive, and the way it does that, rather than coming to compassionate peace, is by cognitive distortions, projections and defenses.
You can point out that the argument posted by a user is (allegedly) an hasty generalization fallacy, or false dilemma fallacy or is otherwise fallacious; you cannot post the alleged psychological reasons why you believe the person is committing the fallacy. You can't call them dishonest, stupid, ignorant, crazy, trolling, mean, ugly, hateful or such. That is considered ad hominem and is considered off-topic, both qualities of which make it against the forum rules. There are plenty of other websites/magazines out there that have different rules.
Ami wrote:The posts I reported were off-topic and/or ad hom. Yet those post were mostly untouched,
The reports are reviewed. If I (or the moderator) agree that the reported post violates the forum rules, then we will edit or delete the post. Otherwise we may close the report without edit. If the report is closed, an email is sent notifying you that the report you made has been closed. If you get the email, notice the post has not been edited or you otherwise still believe it is in violation of the rules, then please send me a PM or start a topic in the feedback section about that particular post, preferably specifying the exact rule by letter/number which you think the post violates and if it is long post a reference to which part of the post you think is in violation of the rule. Then I can change the decision or try to explain why I think it is not in violation of the forum rules.
Ami wrote:meanwhile, multiple posts of mine were edited and deleted from days ago in separate threads.
If your posts violate the forum rules, they will be edited or deleted. Usually deleted. It's not vindictive; it's how the forum works.

If you disagree that a deleted post of yours violated the forum rules, you are free to make a post in the feedback section or PM me to ask for more information or make your case.
Ami wrote:It feels very gamey. It feels like a drama mind-game.
I'm sorry it feels that way.
Ami wrote:There seems to be an element of discrimination: few posters are being held to the same standards that I find my posts being subjected too.
Many posters complain of the same thing. I have no idea how you could purpose to know the types and number of posts being deleted made by any other user. If your feeling of discrimination is coming from noticing rule-breaking posts that are still on the forum, then report them. If you have reported them and the report has been closed but you still think the post is rule-breaking, then feel free to followup with me about that particular post.
Ami wrote:What's going on seems to me to be 'immature' and 'unprofessional': personal attacks aimed at scoring some sort of point or emotional win.
I'm sorry it seems that way.
Ami wrote:I feel disappointed and embarrassed
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Ami wrote:to see this bullying happening
I have no idea what bullying you are talking about.
Ami wrote:and justified with reference to rules
The forum rules shall reflect all moderation actions, so that all members know what they are getting into. It's like the submission guidelines for an offline magazine. All acceptances and rejections will be made/justified based on those guidelines.
Ami wrote:which are not being applied fairly.
I disagree with this conclusion. Such fears can be eased by the presence of the report button: If you see a post you think is violating the forum rules, report it and wait for the post to be deleted or the report to be closed. If you make a post that violates the forum rules, it will be deleted as is deemed fair by the forum rules.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Okay. Thank-you for your detailed and genuine reply.
Fun enjoyable days.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Ami:

If it helps at all, I'd just like to say this: I've previously made some fatuous throwaway comments about your signature tagline, picture and avatar. They were not meant in a spirit of genuine hostility but it is difficult to tell that so I think that's one of the reasons why such comments are against forum rules. (The main reason being, of course, that they're irrelevant and off-topic). I concede that the comments were inappropriate and I unconditionally withdraw them. I find it difficult to stop myself from occasionally slipping and making comments that break forum rules. But I'm trying!

I hope that goes some small way towards persuading you that it might still be worth sticking with this site, despite the occasional failings of some of its members.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream