Killing someone to save your own life

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
cooltodd109

Killing someone to save your own life

Post by cooltodd109 »

Is it immoral to kill someone to save your own life?

For example, if I would die unless I got a heart transplant, would it be immoral to kill someone for their heart?

It seems like it wouldn't, but isn't it basically the same thing as defense?
captain_crunk

Post by captain_crunk »

For example, if I would die unless I got a heart transplant, would it be immoral to kill someone for their heart?

It seems like it wouldn't be immoral to kill an innocent person so you can selfishly take their heart from them?? Wow. I find it hard to believe that anyone can think like that.

In no way, shape, or form does this seem like the same thing as defense. Defense implies that you are at risk of harm due to actions taken against you by another person (or in some cases, albeit not this one, at risk due to the lack of action taken by another). That's not what's happening here.
So in my opinion, yes it would be very wrong to kill someone to save your own life, at least in the example given.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

A person must consent to donate their organs for another's use. (You cannot transplant an organ yourself, so you must go through the proper channels so that argument is mute) A person donates their organs to help another live when they cannot viably live any longer. The donor body must be artifically kept alive...the person is no longer living...(harvesting an organ from a living person does not happen here unless someone is donating a kidney) Certain protocol is met, and brain death must be one of the criteria for organ donation. The organ is harvested for transplantation in the recepient. Time is of the essence in order to get the donated organ transplanted.

I guess a murder could take place, an organ harvested, but that would happen under certain conditions that were an episode of CSI. That would be morally wrong.

I guess the question to ask is: With the shortage of organs, would it be ethical for hospitals to undertreat patients who present in the er as potential organ donors?
captain_crunk

Post by captain_crunk »

Would it be ethical for a hospital to undertreat a patient? No.
sergioakaskyler

killing to save one's life

Post by sergioakaskyler »

If we are to approach matters with some regard to an idea of ethics, it seems unquestionable that the ultimate immoral action is to take someone's life.
In the absence of ethics, it may be possible to argue that not doing anything necessary to save one's own life (including and maybe especially taking someone else's life) would be the ultimate waste of existence, for ceasing to exist (or not prolonging this existence as long as possible before the next ETERNAL one) may have to come at some point, but there would be no reason not to prolong it as much as possible.
However, seein as how this is a forum topic on ethics, I will take the liberty to state that taking someone else's life is the most immoral action possible, for ending someone else's existence prevents them from any 'good' deeds, no matter how you may define 'good', as well as takes the most basic thing away from them: life.
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Is it immoral to kill someone to save your own life?
It depends on the factors of the situation.
The question sounds simple enough, but the answer is almost impossible to simplify. You must take into account an almost infinite amount of considerations. Under which ethical system are you considering this situation? Does the other person wish to donate his heart? Is he even alive, or capable (sane) enough to decide? Who decides if he isn't considered capable of choosing for himself? What if he is in a vegetative state? These and many other questions need to be answered, before the morality of the situation can be defined.

No, it isn't basically the same thing as defense, unless the other person (the would-be donor) is in some way attacking you (did he cause you the heart damage?). So, by my ethical standards, it would be immoral if the donor doesn't in some way or another deserve to be killed. simple as that.
Bk2Kant

Post by Bk2Kant »

Wow. Um I'm gonna have to say that I would be compelled to steal the heart becasue I think a lot of our base reaction to moral dillemas is brought out of self-intrest and preservation of life, but I do not think it would be moral. I could not will it that every person, or any person for that matter would kill to spare thier own life so I could not justify doing it myself. Ok now that I think about I understand the parallel to self-defense made. It's the decision to kill to preserve your own life even though it is not an instance where killing prevents someone from casuing your death. it would be more like sef defense if it were somthing like killing a bacteria that was compramising your life not a person that could help save it.
captain_crunk

Post by captain_crunk »

I could not will it that every person, or any person for that matter would kill to spare thier own life so I could not justify doing it myself.
I see you're defnitely rocking Kant's deontological system of ethics to make your decision (as if it wasn't obvious you're a fan of Kant through your name here on the forums) :) Kant's system has always been one of my favorites in terms of ethics. Too bad I abhor the process of reading just about anything he's written. His writing style drives me nuts. :shock:
MyshiningOne

Re: Killing someone to save your own life

Post by MyshiningOne »

cooltodd109 wrote:Is it immoral to kill someone to save your own life?

No it isn't. Defense occurs when a person attacks
someone who is trying to inflict harm on an innocent
individual through a heinous act such as murder
or rape. Self-defense is an attempt to protect
one's own rights or possessions. Of course,
there are arguments made
by people as to whether self-defense is a moral or
immoral act. It may not fit in the category
of moral behavior, but most people would not
consider self-defense to be an immoral act, even
if they do not believe in it themselves.

However, to kill someone in order to give someone
else a heart transplant is not an act of defense.
It is robbing an innocent being of his/her rights
so that someone else may live. Think of it this
way; if you had two young children, and one gets
sick and has to have a heart transplant in order to live, would you consent to the killing of your
other child so that the sick one may live?
Of course, there are different situations at play here. What if someone consented to the idea of
donating a heart to a sick person? If an eighty
year old man wanted to donate his heart to a young boy who had a little while to live, would
this act be unethical? It's a hard question to
answer. Of course, if a person does not consent
to his demise, then the act would be unethical.
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
Hacashu

Post by Hacashu »

Killing is killing no matter how you look at it. Even if it is in "self defense" or in the case of a heart transplant. One person is deciding weather another has the right to live or not. That Idea would start going into free will. If anyone can take the life of another even in the case of self defense, than the person that was killed did not decide when he/she was going to die. The person that killed them did, because when it comes down to it, in any situation we have a choice to make about self defense. That would also put the person who claimed self defense as a "god" like figure, because he /she was deciding the fate of someone else. If in the case of an organ transplant, if the hospital had an organ, than you might recieve it and live, and if not than you should accept the fact that you are going to die and move on with everything else in your mind.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

captain_crunk wrote:

It seems like it wouldn't be immoral to kill an innocent person so you can selfishly take their heart from them?? Wow. I find it hard to believe that anyone can think like that.

In no way, shape, or form does this seem like the same thing as defense. Defense implies that you are at risk of harm due to actions taken against you by another person (or in some cases, albeit not this one, at risk due to the lack of action taken by another). That's not what's happening here.
So in my opinion, yes it would be very wrong to kill someone to save your own life, at least in the example given.
Can't disagree with you there.
cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane »

Hacashu wrote:Killing is killing no matter how you look at it. Even if it is in "self defense" or in the case of a heart transplant. One person is deciding weather another has the right to live or not. That Idea would start going into free will. If anyone can take the life of another even in the case of self defense, than the person that was killed did not decide when he/she was going to die. The person that killed them did, because when it comes down to it, in any situation we have a choice to make about self defense. That would also put the person who claimed self defense as a "god" like figure, because he /she was deciding the fate of someone else. If in the case of an organ transplant, if the hospital had an organ, than you might recieve it and live, and if not than you should accept the fact that you are going to die and move on with everything else in your mind.
All killing isn't murder.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

I don't believe that self-defense is wrong, but killing someone to save your life is.
complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

What about when the United States government dropped the atom bombs on cities full of civilians in Japan? It appears you are all saying that it was immoral.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream