Are we still in the dark ages of medical science?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Harbal

Re: Are we still in the dark ages of medical science?

Post by Harbal »

Lucylu wrote:Sorry,
Nothing to be sorry for. :)
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Harbal wrote:
DarwinX wrote: So, now your a conspiracy theorist as well! Welcome to the fold.
Is that all you've got to say about it?
volcanic eruptions are real and do cause crop failure, famine and disease outbreaks.
I seem to remember there was an eruption in Iceland a while back that caused quite a lot of disruption but I don't recall many cases of the black death, I suppose they kept quiet about that.
Here's a part of a news report on the eruption in Iceland -

Bardarbunga may be one for the history books, but it’s definitely not the worst in Iceland’s history. That would probably be the 1783-1784 Laki eruption, which killed 60 percent of Iceland’s livestock and about 20 percent of its people. Compared to that, Bardarbunga is “10 times smaller in terms of eruption rate, fire fountain height, and gas content,” Stevenson said.

Thus, it is only a very small eruption and not of the scale that would kill thousands or millions of people. But, the reporter has quoted that previous eruptions were far bigger and have killed 20% of the population of Iceland and 60% of their livestock. If this had occurred 200 years ago a lot more people would have died without having modern amenities to protect them from the fumes and no back-up of food supply in regards to imports etc.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

DarwinX wrote: Here's a part of a news report on the eruption in Iceland -
It seems you do accept the authenticity of news reports when it suits you to. The report doesn't say what the people actually died of, unless you conveniently edited it. I'm sure it wasn't something that is normally attributed to viral or bacterial infection. I know that the government and establishment lie to us all the time but they often get found out eventually and a lie on the scale you are talking about would be impossible to contain.
DarwinX
Favorite Philosopher: Stephen Hurrell

Post by DarwinX »

Harbal wrote:
DarwinX wrote: Here's a part of a news report on the eruption in Iceland -
It seems you do accept the authenticity of news reports when it suits you to. The report doesn't say what the people actually died of, unless you conveniently edited it. I'm sure it wasn't something that is normally attributed to viral or bacterial infection. I know that the government and establishment lie to us all the time but they often get found out eventually and a lie on the scale you are talking about would be impossible to contain.
Here's the full report as it appears your computer isn't working properly.

The eruption began as a fissure with 130 craters opened with phreatomagmatic explosions. This event is rated as 6 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI). The scale is open-ended with the largest volcanoes in history given magnitude 8. For comparison, the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption is rated as magnitude 3 on VEI.

The Laki eruption produced an estimated 14 km3 (3.4 cubic miles) of lava, and the total volume of tephra emitted was 0.91 km3 (0.2 cubic miles). Lava fountains were estimated to have reached heights of 800 to 1,400 meters (2,600 to 4,600 feet).

The gases emitted, including an estimated 8 million tons of hydrogen fluoride and 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide (SO2), caused the death of over 50 percent of Iceland’s livestock, leading to a famine killing approximately 25 percent of the country’s inhabitants.

The Laki eruption and its aftermath caused a drop in global temperatures, as SO2 was spewed into the Northern Hemisphere. This caused crop failures in Europe and may have caused droughts in Asia. The eruption has been estimated to have killed over six million people worldwide, making it the deadliest in historical times.

There now - is 6 million plus deaths caused by this volcano enough for you to see what global effects volcanoes have on health? I suppose that you and the government health authorities will say that this was just a coincidence and the volcano wasn't related to deaths occurring else where.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Beware! The devil wears the mask of a saint.
Littleendian
Favorite Philosopher: Buckethead

Post by Littleendian »

LuckyR wrote: As to your excellent doctor, that's what most folks say: "western medicine is populated by money grubbing charlatans... except for MY doctor who is great..."
Well, for that one doctor I found who is doing an okay job (although I go there maybe once every 3 years) I can name no less than ten that I was severely disappointed by.

I have had them try to vacinate me without first verifying my current vacination status, "just to be on the safe side". I've had them try to fix me up with a corset (a then 24 year old otherwise healthy male) because I was complaining about back problems.

Why? Because it made them money. The system is corrupt, and it's not only the patients who suffer from that, but also the doctors.
People see clear enough the barbarities of all ages -- but their own.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Littleendian wrote:
LuckyR wrote: As to your excellent doctor, that's what most folks say: "western medicine is populated by money grubbing charlatans... except for MY doctor who is great..."
Well, for that one doctor I found who is doing an okay job (although I go there maybe once every 3 years) I can name no less than ten that I was severely disappointed by.

I have had them try to vacinate me without first verifying my current vacination status, "just to be on the safe side". I've had them try to fix me up with a corset (a then 24 year old otherwise healthy male) because I was complaining about back problems.

Why? Because it made them money. The system is corrupt, and it's not only the patients who suffer from that, but also the doctors.
I will ignore your anecdotes... since they're anecdotes. Instead let's address your comment on the "corrupt" system, is your beef with the compensation or the state of optimal medical practice?
"As usual... it depends."
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Certainly modern medicine leaves a lot to be desired, but if you want to talk "dark ages" in relation to modern science, I'd say that psychology wins the "Dark Age Award" hands down....
Littleendian
Favorite Philosopher: Buckethead

Post by Littleendian »

LuckyR wrote:I will ignore your anecdotes... since they're anecdotes.
Fair enough. I guess I could just've been unlucky in my choice of doctors. Or my friend working at Roche pharmaceuticals could've just been misrepresenting their company-internal research goals.
LuckyR wrote:Instead let's address your comment on the "corrupt" system, is your beef with the compensation or the state of optimal medical practice?
My beef is with what I perceive to be a system that creates incentives not to heal sick people but to make some other people rich. In this system the sick person is becoming a commodity that's being moved through the system, leaving a trace of money.
People see clear enough the barbarities of all ages -- but their own.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Littleendian wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Instead let's address your comment on the "corrupt" system, is your beef with the compensation or the state of optimal medical practice?
My beef is with what I perceive to be a system that creates incentives not to heal sick people but to make some other people rich. In this system the sick person is becoming a commodity that's being moved through the system, leaving a trace of money.
I suspected as much. So the OP about the state of medical practice is a separate issue from yours. I will not argue that there aren't illogical incentives in third party payor systems, as well as the relationship between the Health industry companies and providers of care. Well publicized folks are total charlatans, but they are a small minority, most providers in 3rd party payor systems practice within guidelines but at the edge of the guidelines slanted towrds more compensation. But let's not forget that capitated systems are a significant minority of the US market (where provider compensation is completely delinked from these economic forces) and this issue is moot in those systems.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream