Lower Health Care Costs by Basing Premiums on Habits

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Lower Health Care Costs by Basing Premiums on Habits

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

In my recent philosophy of politics article, Ways to Lowering Health Care Costs, I explained my top 5 suggestions. Please use this thread to specifically discuss the third suggestion about basing insurance premiums on habits.

Do you agree that it is fairer to charge higher premiums to people who voluntarily engage in unhealthy behavior such as smoking cigarettes or overeating? Do you agree that it would lower health care costs?

What other activities besides those that I listed would you want to see lead to higher premiums being charged for people who engage in them?

Thanks!
Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Frederic Bastiat

Post by whitetrshsoldier »

Just as car insurance companies drive more based on how much you drive, and home insurance companies drive more based on how close you are to flood/fire/earthquake zones, so health insurance companies must charge based on how much of a "risk" you pose.

How else would you all have it? You must pay an increased rate if you are more likely to use the insurance at an increased rate. How is this difficult to comprehend? Can somebody explain to me why private companies are demonized for embracing this concept, and yet governments are not?
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

whitetrshsoldier wrote:Just as car insurance companies drive more based on how much you drive, and home insurance companies drive more based on how close you are to flood/fire/earthquake zones, so health insurance companies must charge based on how much of a "risk" you pose.

How else would you all have it? You must pay an increased rate if you are more likely to use the insurance at an increased rate. How is this difficult to comprehend? Can somebody explain to me why private companies are demonized for embracing this concept, and yet governments are not?
Exactly. So you agree, right?

Unfortunately, as explained in the article, often people are charged the same rate for health insurance regardless of they engage in habits that will make them more of risk, i.e. more costly to cover. I wish the insurance rates of any given person tended to more often be more impacted by how much the person engages in unhealthy habits like smoking cigarettes. Anecdotally, when I had health insurance, I was never asked whether or not I smoked cigarettes, whether I was an obese over-eater, or so forth. I wish they had. I believe it would clearly lower the total health care costs.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Scott,

I'm actually licensed in the State of California to sell insurance, and I can guarantee you that the companies that I have sold for in the past most definately ask those questions.

In fact, if people lie on the applications, all treatments that can be traced to conditions DIRECTLY related to things they lied about [smoking, drinking, etc.] will either be outright denied [charged to the individual; how's that for a penalty] or severely limited in scope.

I think it's beyond fair, and am in full agreement with you. And yet, no government interference is necessary. In fact, I know for certain that Insurance companies HAD TO FIGHT TO KEEP THESE POLICIES IN PLACE.

The State of California attempted to call these questions "discriminatory" at one point in the past, and under the 'public option', all pre-existing conditions must be accepted WITHOUT "penalty" to the insured.

Can you please explain to me how any insurance organization can remain solvent while embracing these asinine principles?
"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I'm obviously just insecure with the ineptitudes of my logic and rational faculties. Forgive me - I'm a "lost soul", blinded by my "ignorant belief" that there's such a thing as reality and truth in the world"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

whitetrshsoldier wrote:I'm actually licensed in the State of California to sell insurance, and I can guarantee you that the companies that I have sold for in the past most definitely ask those questions.
I'm glad to hear it. I hope more companies do that. I assume it is more common for companies to ask those questions when individuals apply on their own to get coverage. When large groups apply as a group, namely through an employer, I don't think these questions are usually asked.

As for what the governments can do, they could change the health insurance plan bought by their employees to be one that asks these types of questions (e.g. do you smoke cigarettes, are you obese, do you eat fast food, etc.). As far as I know, state employees usually pay a set amount for their health care regardless of their habits. Though I want big businesses to also choose these types of fair plans for their employees, I wouldn't want the government to tell businesses which plans to buy. But the government of course chooses which plans it offers its own employees. And as we agree, choosing to offer plans that charge a higher rate to individuals in the group who voluntarily engage in unhealthy cost-increasing habits will discourage those habits and lower the total health care costs.
whitetrshsoldier wrote:The State of California attempted to call these questions "discriminatory" at one point in the past, and under the 'public option', all pre-existing conditions must be accepted WITHOUT "penalty" to the insured.

Can you please explain to me how any insurance organization can remain solvent while embracing these asinine principles?
That's a requirement in some of the health care bills, some of which also happen to call for a public option. But as I understand it these are two separate proposals. One requires insurers to accept pre-existing conditions without penalty and is also present in bills that do not have a public option. The other is the public option proposal, which I believe could be enacted without requiring companies to accept pre-existing conditions.

Unless there is a health insurance mandate requiring all individuals to get coverage, I do not see myself supporting a law that requires all health insurance companies to accept involuntary pre-existing conditions without penalty. Either way, it's irrelevant to the main issue of this thread, which is the idea of charging people higher premiums if they engage in unhealthy behaviors, thus financially discouraging unhealthy behavior, which then leads to lower total health care costs.

whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Scott wrote:
whitetrshsoldier wrote:The State of California attempted to call these questions "discriminatory" at one point in the past, and under the 'public option', all pre-existing conditions must be accepted WITHOUT "penalty" to the insured.

Unless there is a health insurance mandate requiring all individuals to get coverage, I do not see myself supporting a law that requires all health insurance companies to accept involuntary pre-existing conditions without penalty. Either way, it's irrelevant to the main issue of this thread, which is the idea of charging people higher premiums if they engage in unhealthy behaviors, thus financially discouraging unhealthy behavior, which then leads to lower total health care costs.
Scott,

I believe it's relevant because this is the "Politics" forum, and we're ultimately discussing [although rather removed from this particular threads' focus] Government intervention into a private sector. My point is that the Government does not, and never has had to enforce this principle.

So while it's obvious to both of us that higher rates for unhealthy individuals are necessary for properly rating insurance risks, it should be apparent that this is totally irrelevant to "Politics" in general.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

How do we know if a person is overweight? How can we know by how much a person is overweight so as to have a sliding tax scale determined by excess pounds? We would create gevernment standards equal for all.

I propose Weigh Stations, one for men and one for women similar to the weigh stations used by trucks.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question626.htm

A woman would visit her weigh station once a month and she would enter a room where she would be weighed to determine both her gross weight and the weight of her parts so she could be assigned the means to work on offending parts. For reason of fairness, the weigh station would be the same for all with impartial weigh masters to assure equality. At the end of the year the results of her twelve visits to the common weigh station would be averaged out and she would receive a tax form that would determine the amount owed on her federal return.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

whitetrshsoldier wrote:
Scott wrote: Unless there is a health insurance mandate requiring all individuals to get coverage, I do not see myself supporting a law that requires all health insurance companies to accept involuntary pre-existing conditions without penalty. Either way, it's irrelevant to the main issue of this thread, which is the idea of charging people higher premiums if they engage in unhealthy behaviors, thus financially discouraging unhealthy behavior, which then leads to lower total health care costs.
Scott,

I believe it's relevant because this is the "Politics" forum, and we're ultimately discussing [although rather removed from this particular threads' focus] Government intervention into a private sector. My point is that the Government does not, and never has had to enforce this principle.
I'm sorry. I think I wasn't being clear. I wasn't saying that you bringing up government intervention (specifically the lack of need for government intervention) was irrelevant. I am saying that the issue of whether or not people are charged for involuntary pre-existing conditions (i.e. someone having a disability, disease or ailment through no fault of their own) is irrelevant because it would not lower costs. (Granted, I agree with you in that I do not want the government to force private companies to insure people with involuntary pre-existing conditions with no extra charge.) I just didn't want to confuse that topic with the topic of lowering costs.

Charging people more for voluntary conditions--e.g. smoking and the unhealthiness caused by it--would lower costs by discouraging the cost-increasing behavior.

I agree with you that I do not think government intervention is needed to force companies to charge people more for engaging in unhealthy habits like smoking. That's a relevant point and a good point, and I'm glad you made it. The only government action needed on this particular issue is to use such habit-based programs when it offers private insurance to its employees, as opposed to buying a private plan that charges the same premium to all individuals regardless of their habits.

The people most capable of enacting the suggestion of this thread would be health insurance companies (both profit and non-profit) who can start charging more to people who engage in unhealthy habits such as smoking or overeating. And the other people are consumers who can choose to buy insurance from such companies. Though healthy people may not care much about the little money they would save from having their healthy habits factored into their premiums, I think health care activists would be wise to boycott insurance plans that do not factor it in as a matter of principle. (Unfortunately, I think many activists and many politicians who claim they want to lower costs actually have other goals and motives.)
Nick_A wrote:How do we know if a person is overweight? How can we know by how much a person is overweight so as to have a sliding tax scale determined by excess pounds?
It's not a tax I'm suggesting (in this thread) but rather a higher premium to be charged by the private insurer. The most obvious way for an insurer to find out if a person smokes or is overweight or so forth is to ask when the person applies for insurance or applies to renew it. Also, like with all types of insurance, fraud needs to be fought criminally and civilly.

whitetrshsoldier
Premium Member

Scott,

The great thing about private insurance companies is that fraud doesn't need to be litigated!

If you lie on your application, you lose coverage for your condition, or altogether. It's much more simple to deter people from unwanted behavior with the threat of removing their coverage than it is to threaten them with "possible" penalties or jail time.

I'm sure most people don't expect to be penalized even when this disclaimer is provided, especially considering the dismal state of our judicial system.

This only goes to further show the BENEFIT OF PRIVATE MARKET INSURANCE.

Government regulation of private industry in a free-market economy is an impediment to progress in this and most other social issues.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream