I am The Dark Wanderer

Please post all introductions in this forum. Tell us how you found the philosophy forums, what interests you about philosophy, and a little about you, such as your age, where you live, what you do for a living, etc.
The Dark Wanderer
New Trial Member

I am The Dark Wanderer

Post by The Dark Wanderer » October 22nd, 2016, 11:32 am

I sought out a forum like this primarily to help make sense of my own morals, or lack there of.

I have grown disillusioned with dogmas and absolutism. With rules and commandments whit little relation to actual life and no foundation in logic or common sense.

Like Sartre, I have come to the realisation we must make and live by our own morals which we express by our actions.

Such a moral code for my own use must be based on these principles:

Cause and effect

Instinct

Empathy

The will to power

Survival

Noncompliance with absolutism and dogma, but adherence to a middle way. Where no extreme view is held.

The pursuit of happiness, both internal and external.

So, I am looking for help in developing a guideline from which to live by.

Roel
Queue Moderator
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Re: I am The Dark Wanderer

Post by Roel » November 16th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum The Dark Wanderer.

You might like our Ethics and Morality sub-forum.
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel

Spiral Out
Site Admin

Post by Spiral Out » November 19th, 2016, 2:15 pm

There is no framework that can be applied universally. All is relative. All is subjective. Do what feels right no matter what others might say you should do.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » November 19th, 2016, 5:14 pm

I've found the following approach to morality to be grounding:

- enjoy and appreciate the good things

- operate with a light touch (ie. minimise damage)

- try to make yourself useful

- forgive frailty in both yourself and others.

Dissimulation

Post by Dissimulation » March 23rd, 2017, 2:18 pm

hello Dark Wanderer. Why 'must' those principles be included? without having developed an ethical or moral methodology it appears unreasonable to contend what principles 'must' be implied. In order to overcome 'Dogmas' you ought to be careful not to succumb to its often cunning nature. The principles you included are general and may be interpreted or expressed in a way that ironically leads you to untruth. If this moral system is intended to mandate your actions (is that absolutism?) and you reject absolutism ( define?) that methodology requires first that you determine what it is you value and why/how you value it. I speculate Sartre would be dismayed if you concluded from his work shared principles. Its a massive undertaking but you have already recognized a desire to do so. Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard offers some considerable insight into such a task (personally). I recently joined myself and as mentioned by Roel the ethics sub-forum may offer insight.