New member frustrations

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Andrian

New member frustrations

Post by Andrian »

I have been a member for 8 days and have made 16 posts. However, all my posts still go to moderation and I am still unable to post links. This is making it increasingly difficult for me to participate in conversations, as the lag time between when I type a reply and when that reply gets posted is such that by the time my reply is posted, other people have posted after me, and since my post appears as if it had been posted when it was submitted, rather than when it was approved, it's easy for my contributions to the conversation to be lost.

I understand why new members need to have their posts moderated and why they are not allowed to post links at first, but according to the site policies, I should be past both those milestones by now.

In addition, I would like to request that the site be changed so that posts appear in the order they were approved, rather than in the order in which they were submitted. That way new members' voices don't get drowned out by the veteran members who don't have to wait for post approval.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Re: New member frustrations

Post by Renee »

Hang in there, Andrian. Your woes are only temporary. It was very frustrating, yes, for me too, but after a while of freedom posting, you don't even look back. As we used to say in my native country, in my native language, when a little boy hurt his finger or knee, we used to console the crying child with these words: "you'll have this all forgotten by the time you join the army." (Compulsory army training and service for every male in those days. Women had no such social burden to bear then.)

If you are still frustrated, remember: the little boys did not even understand the concept imparted in the consolation, so nothing's lost in translation. You remain frustrated, much like the little boy remained in pain. As the saying goes, "sayings go". My attempt at consoling you is just as ineffectual as the saying we repeated to little boys.
Ignorance is power.
Andrian

Post by Andrian »

It seems I'm finally out of the trial period now. Not sure if I can post links yet, but at least my posts are showing up immediately now. Perhaps the site policies have changed to require 20 posts before they're automatically approved? If so, then the informational posts ought to be updated to reflect this.

If you're going to have a policy on a site, you'd better stick to it and communicate it clearly, especially if you want to attract new members and have them stick around.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Andrian wrote:t seems I'm finally out of the trial period now. Not sure if I can post links yet, but at least my posts are showing up immediately now. Perhaps the site policies have changed to require 20 posts before they're automatically approved? If so, then the informational posts ought to be updated to reflect this.
From the Forum Rules page:

"Other notes: As a new trial member, your posts will be held for moderation until you have at least 20 approved on-topic posts. You will also be unable to send PMs. All new topics for all members even those with more than 20 posts are held for moderation (except those by moderators and contributors)."

From the Site Policies Regarding Links and URLs page:

"Members with less than 10 posts or who have been registered for less than 3 days are automatically blocked from posting links."

The information about links may need to be updated if this rule has since changed.

Thanks for your feedback!
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Spiral Out wrote:You will also be unable to send PMs.
Yeah, I remember I went ballistic on this back in the early days. I was raising hell, the site being illy organized, and a moderator wanted to calm me, I guess (I'll never learn what he or she wanted to tell me), and said, "Send me a private message," which I could not, as I was blocked from doing it due to not having the requirements to send PMFOs. I was incredibly angry, I remember. The frustration. The idiocy. The Catch 22. That the only way the moderators could help me was for me to do something I could not do, and they were blind to it.

At the time I felt that the site needed to update its message systems and user-friendliness. Now I don't give two hoots, I enjoy the structure and the programming engine's workings and operations.

If I have any problems with the site now, it's that it's turned away from being a philosophy forum and became a bitching forum between theists and non-theists. It's sad, but it's evolution for you. I think I had like three conversations / debates and altogether 7 posts about philosophical matters in the last two months, the rest of the over hundred was spent on spending a whole bunch of mental and emotional energies in vain trying to influence the uninfluenceable.

To me this is very sad. Getting philosophy shut (and shot) down because a horde of fundamentalists descended on us who'd vowed to, and succeeded to, destroy our little corner of philosophy.

Debating about god on a philosophy forum is a bit like reading or writing a crime story. It has all the elements of a good story or good philosophy: character development, logic, style, argumenting, storyline, anecdotal evidence, respectively, AND they both feel really good; but both crime writing and atheist-theist fighting are bastardization to good literature and to good thinking.
Ignorance is power.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

When you join this group, you have to prepare yourself to be frustrated. You will be taking sides because philosophy deals mostly with controversial topics. You can't help but defend your view whatever it may be about an established ideology. It is like every action has an opposite reaction - positive/negative something like that. It depends on the trend of thoughts of the opposing minds.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Josefina1110 wrote:When you join this group, you have to prepare yourself to be frustrated.

You're right. But they don't state this in the forum rules!! Neglective rule-making.
Josefina1110 wrote:You will be taking sides because philosophy deals mostly with controversial topics. You can't help but defend your view whatever it may be about an established ideology. It is like every action has an opposite reaction - positive/negative something like that. It depends on the trend of thoughts of the opposing minds.
Generally you are right, but there are exceptions. The exceptions being that once in a while a debating partner (I or the opposition) will give in and change our stance. The other exception is to this exception: the debaters about god never yield.

Some philosophical topics are not controversially contentious. Like "What is art".
Ignorance is power.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

Actually, when the debate tries to change the opposite side, the trend is a win or lose situation. Recently we have witnessed debates of candidates in the political arena. Each side claimed to have won. I think they determined that they won when they get more applause or when the parties themselves felt they have given more facts with no direct rebuttal. But actually, in the political arena, the people are the judge and not the candidates who are debating. In this situation, it's like in boxing, the winner won by unanimous decision. On the debate about "god," there are some people who yield to the other side for one reason or another. There are believers who leave their faith and there are many others who become believers. There are those who believe in God but get angry with God and then abandon their belief. There are those who are touched by actions of believers and they acquire faith in God. So I cannot agree with you that debaters about god never yield. There are those who are identified as Christian evolutionists like modern Christian scientists. They believe in God but they also believe in evolution as God's method of creating living things.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Andrian wrote:It seems I'm finally out of the trial period now. Not sure if I can post links yet, but at least my posts are showing up immediately now.
I'm guessing that this won't last. You should know that if you should annoy one of the many mods, your status can be returned to that of a trial member, and again your posts will be held for review before appearing on the forum.

Don't ask me how I know this, because this is hush hush top secret classified need to know only information which is not revealed until you have 23,938,821 posts, or perhaps just one post that pisses off a mod. :-)
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Toadny
Favorite Philosopher: Toadny

Post by Toadny »

Renee wrote: It's sad, but it's evolution for you. I think I had like three conversations / debates and altogether 7 posts about philosophical matters in the last two months, the rest of the over hundred was spent on spending a whole bunch of mental and emotional energies in vain trying to influence the uninfluenceable.

To me this is very sad. Getting philosophy shut (and shot) down because a horde of fundamentalists descended on us who'd vowed to, and succeeded to, destroy our little corner of philosophy.
I post regularly and I haven't seen any of this. Stay away from the Philosophy of Religion forums and similar. Don't waste your time on it.

Post some interesting non-religious philosophy. Let me know where.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Toadny wrote: I post regularly and I haven't seen any of this. Stay away from the Philosophy of Religion forums and similar. Don't waste your time on it.
Philosophy of science is full of Darwin-bashing, moral philosophy is gripped with fundamentalists, and metaphysics is nothing but religion to begin with. I know it's not Christian, but may as well be some worship stuff, it has nothing to do with reality as we like to think of reality.
Toadny wrote: Post some interesting non-religious philosophy. Let me know where.
I made a pretty original post I think on "what is art", but it teeters on the supernatural realm, my opinion on it is so heavily dependent on intuitive perception.

Also, a new member, Andrian, porposed a topic which I answered and it was abandoned by everyone else. It had to do with... oh, if only my memory was not so bad... oh, yes, the free will conundrum vis-a-vis heaven. Free will will produce evil, but there is no evil in heaven, so either heaven contains no souls with free will, or else there is evil in heaven. I refuted that in one argument, and nobody ever even looked at it afterward, not even Andrian.

Then there was the normal refutation of "free will in a causative world". I also proved there is no choice for anyone in any matter.

Thanks, Toadny, I'll check out your posts now, maybe there is some gold there that I can sink my teeth into.
Ignorance is power.
Andrian

Post by Andrian »

Renee wrote: Also, a new member, Andrian, porposed a topic which I answered and it was abandoned by everyone else. It had to do with... oh, if only my memory was not so bad... oh, yes, the free will conundrum vis-a-vis heaven. Free will will produce evil, but there is no evil in heaven, so either heaven contains no souls with free will, or else there is evil in heaven. I refuted that in one argument, and nobody ever even looked at it afterward, not even Andrian.
I did reply. If you look at that thread, mine is the most recent response. To bring things back around to the original topic, one reason you might not have noticed my response was because it took quite a long time to get my post approved.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Andrian wrote: I did reply. If you look at that thread, mine is the most recent response. To bring things back around to the original topic, one reason you might not have noticed my response was because it took quite a long time to get my post approved.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look at it presently.

-- Updated December 14th, 2016, 6:55 pm to add the following --

Thanks, Andrian!! I responded in kind. Please review (at your leisure and inclination. After all, we all have a free will to decide to look at that thread again or not.)
Ignorance is power.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Ormond wrote:
Andrian wrote:It seems I'm finally out of the trial period now. Not sure if I can post links yet, but at least my posts are showing up immediately now.
I'm guessing that this won't last. You should know that if you should annoy one of the many mods, your status can be returned to that of a trial member, and again your posts will be held for review before appearing on the forum.

Don't ask me how I know this, because this is hush hush top secret classified need to know only information which is not revealed until you have 23,938,821 posts, or perhaps just one post that pisses off a mod. :-)
I doubt any moderator can put anyone under moderation. I think only Scott can do that. What I can do is zap users with warnings which don't do anything really. I have been zapped myself with a warning issued to me by a contributor and so you may want to worry about them too.
If Scott looks at your record and sees all the warnings, then that may also influence his decision as to what to do with you. Repeat offenders may never be able to post again in this forum without being moderated but some type of offenses such as doing what is perceived as "ad hominem attacks" seem to be the surest and fastest way to get back on the list of users under moderation.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Andrian wrote:I have been a member for 8 days and have made 16 posts. However, all my posts still go to moderation and I am still unable to post links. This is making it increasingly difficult for me to participate in conversations, as the lag time between when I type a reply and when that reply gets posted is such that by the time my reply is posted, other people have posted after me, and since my post appears as if it had been posted when it was submitted, rather than when it was approved, it's easy for my contributions to the conversation to be lost.

I understand why new members need to have their posts moderated and why they are not allowed to post links at first, but according to the site policies, I should be past both those milestones by now.

In addition, I would like to request that the site be changed so that posts appear in the order they were approved, rather than in the order in which they were submitted. That way new members' voices don't get drowned out by the veteran members who don't have to wait for post approval.
I found it unnecessarily laboured and frustrating too, it was taking literally days to then get posts refused because of something pernickity. I buggered off for ages, then decided to come back and post a lot of short uninteresting posts to get the required number. Now I can write long uninteresting posts with equanimity!

I expect it puts some people off bothering, which is a shame.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream