Publication Forum?

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Josefina1110

Re: Publication Forum?

Post by Josefina1110 »

One thing I know is that philosophy is an art. It is not science. Philosophy mostly deals with reasons on issues of life that you either agree or disagree.
Ozymandias
Favorite Philosopher: Loren Eiseley

Post by Ozymandias »

Josefina1110 wrote:One thing I know is that philosophy is an art. It is not science. Philosophy mostly deals with reasons on issues of life that you either agree or disagree.
Well, science is type of philosophy. Philosophy is the act of deliberately thinking about questions. Science is the method, championed by Francis Bacon, of approaching questions through empiricism and testing, so it's a school of thought within, not separate from, philosophy.

Not to necessarily equate etymology to meaning, but the term "science" is synonymous with the term "natural philosophy", as they used to call it before it became something larger in society than philosophy.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

There is a department of education that deals with science. Philosophy is not included in it. Science subjects ends in ...logy. Philosophy is included in Arts. Hence the department is called School of Arts and Sciences.

-- Updated March 4th, 2017, 10:42 pm to add the following --

I mean in College education. So when you graduate you have Bachelor of Science in Biology or Mathematics etc. Then you have Bachelor of Arts in Literature, Music, etc.
I am not really an expert on this classification. I am just generalizing. I may be wrong. But like I say, In College, Philosophy belongs to Arts.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Ozymandias wrote:Well it seems to me that, while "everything" is apparently philosophy to me, very little at all is philosophy to you. I say that deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy, how would you define it? Does philosophy have to have a certain level of formality to be philosophy to you? Why can an essay on the merits of love and hate be philosophy, while the Harry Potter series is not, even though it deals with the same question adequately?
Valid question. To me philosophy is to state what you are going to prove, and then prove it with logic.

It turns out that our differences stem from our own differing standards of what definitely is philosophy.

We can proceed from here to disprove the validity of the other's definition.

Deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy

(1) The rise of the price of peas. My wife deliberartely and consciously think of how peas are fifty cents more a pound today than they were yesterday.

The occurrence of (1) which is clearly not philosophy, is sufficiently convincing that not ALL deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy. Philosophy may involve deliberate and conscious thinking about a given subject, but the two are not equivalent. In fact, the overwhelming majority of activities that you describe with your definition are not in the realm of philosophy. (Even if you disregard my definition.) Here I employed one of Wittgenstein's maxims, which says that there are ideas and ideals and concepts that nobody can define, but everyone has at least an inkling (Ahnung) was das ist. What that is. Time, life, god, this sort of thing. Philosophy is definable, but only if you start mit einer Ahnung at first, what it is. Without that Ahnung there could be no further definitions of philosophy (other than mechanical, object oriented or else randomly or arbitrarily.)

So I formally (and not emotionally or antagonistically or belligerently) reject your definition of philosophy, because although it fits the idea of philosophical enquiry, it does not delineate it at all from other forms of pondering.

-- Updated 2017 March 5th, 12:30 pm to add the following --
Fooloso4 wrote: The relationship between philosophy and poetry was an important theme for Plato, but because of methods of inquiry used by anglo-american philosophers interpretation of the Platonic dialogues suffered greatly.
Please don't stop there. You may be referencing knowledge that not all of us have. You can't assume we read exactly the same authors as you have. You need to guide us -- not to the books and titles, but to your findings in few coherent sentences of what it is actually that hurt thedialogues by the interpretation. I am not arguing your point, I just say I don't have the same knowledge, and without substantiation, your statement is -- sorry -- rather empty.
Wittgenstein wrote:-Philosophy ought really to be written only as a form of poetry.
It is in Eastern philosophy that you quote the master and expect the students to fill in the missing links between the endpoints of the proof. In western philosophy the master derives the in-between, and in fact the onus is on the master to prove his or her own point.

You seem to be argumenting in Eastern philosophical style, with a bit of appeal to authority fallacies sprinkled on top. I can't respond to that. To me that style and that artificially restricted content is nothing but a trap. Please make a point, and tell us how YOU interpret it; if you leave it to individual opponents in the debate to interpret every poetic points you make, then you are only inviting mayhem and disparate bits of arguments that have nothing to do with your point.

Just my two cents worth. You do what you like but don't expect replies from me to poetic or unexplained and unsubstantiated rhetoric.

-- Updated 2017 March 5th, 12:33 pm to add the following --
Josefina1110 wrote:One thing I know is that philosophy is an art. It is not science. Philosophy mostly deals with reasons on issues of life that you either agree or disagree.
I think there are times when you must cast aside your disagreement, in light of convincing arguments by your opponent in the argument. That is why I hate to argue with the super-religious, because they straight-out reject proven truths if it does not fit the (obviously superstitiously established) tenets of their faiths.

-- Updated 2017 March 5th, 12:40 pm to add the following --
Josefina1110 wrote:There is a department of education that deals with science. Philosophy is not included in it. Science subjects ends in ...logy. Philosophy is included in Arts. Hence the department is called School of Arts and Sciences.

-- Updated March 4th, 2017, 10:42 pm to add the following --

I mean in College education. So when you graduate you have Bachelor of Science in Biology or Mathematics etc. Then you have Bachelor of Arts in Literature, Music, etc.
I am not really an expert on this classification. I am just generalizing. I may be wrong. But like I say, In College, Philosophy belongs to Arts.
Arts and sciences belong to philosophy, technically speaking (I am not being philosophical here, but have the hat of a college administrator.) Historically, there were four major areas of study at medieval universities, each having a top degree of a doctorate designation: medicine, law, philosophy, and theology.

Then when arts and sciences began to be taught, the school administration wanted to create a doctorate level of achievement, but there were no such room on the forms. So they slapped all and science and art doctorates under philosophical doctorates, and hence a doctor of neurobiology or of English Literature is actually a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.)

Since then, of course, in modernt times, philosophy became a school in the faculty of arts and sciences at most universities, theology a part of philosophy, and engineering gained its own faculty. But that's in more recent administrative history.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

-1- wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Well it seems to me that, while "everything" is apparently philosophy to me, very little at all is philosophy to you. I say that deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy, how would you define it? Does philosophy have to have a certain level of formality to be philosophy to you? Why can an essay on the merits of love and hate be philosophy, while the Harry Potter series is not, even though it deals with the same question adequately?
Valid question. To me philosophy is to state what you are going to prove, and then prove it with logic.

It turns out that our differences stem from our own differing standards of what definitely is philosophy.

We can proceed from here to disprove the validity of the other's definition.

Deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy

(1) The rise of the price of peas. My wife deliberartely and consciously think of how peas are fifty cents more a pound today than they were yesterday.

The occurrence of (1) which is clearly not philosophy, is sufficiently convincing that not ALL deliberate and conscious thinking on a given subject is philosophy. Philosophy may involve deliberate and conscious thinking about a given subject, but the two are not equivalent. In fact, the overwhelming majority of activities that you describe with your definition are not in the realm of philosophy. (Even if you disregard my definition.) Here I employed one of Wittgenstein's maxims, which says that there are ideas and ideals and concepts that nobody can define, but everyone has at least an inkling (Ahnung) was das ist. What that is. Time, life, god, this sort of thing. Philosophy is definable, but only if you start mit einer Ahnung at first, what it is. Without that Ahnung there could be no further definitions of philosophy (other than mechanical, object oriented or else randomly or arbitrarily.)

So I formally (and not emotionally or antagonistically or belligerently) reject your definition of philosophy, because although it fits the idea of philosophical enquiry, it does not delineate it at all from other forms of pondering.
Fair point; what if I trade the word "subject" for "question"?
You might apply a similar argument to that one by bringing up something like "you can think deliberately about what groceries to buy at the store, but it's not philosophy", but I would argue that such an activity is philosophy. You can apply the same logic to an everyday question as you do to questions concerning the grandiose meaning of life, and they can require equal amounts of thought. Essentially, philosophy is philosophy, no matter how mundane.
-1- wrote:Then when arts and sciences began to be taught, the school administration wanted to create a doctorate level of achievement, but there were no such room on the forms. So they slapped all and science and art doctorates under philosophical doctorates, and hence a doctor of neurobiology or of English Literature is actually a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.)
I might add that the fact that one can have a PhD in literature, since you bring up the terminology in PhD, is supportive of my point that literature is necessarily philosophy.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

Everything boils down to the four letter word - - w o r d. Philosophy, science, arts and what not are just words. Man is just playing with words all the time. But there is a person who is the Word. His name is Jesus Christ. Only human beings have problems with words because only human beings use words. Other creatures don't. Man makes things complicated through the use of words. Aldous Huxley said, "Words form the thread on which we string our experience. Jean Paul Satre said, "Words are loaded pistols. "So difficult it is to show the various meanings and imperfections of words when we have nothing else but words to do it," - John Locke. "The words that I speak, they are spirit and they are life," Jesus Christ. "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. John 1:1. "The words of some men are thrown forcibly against you and adhere like briars. --Henry David Thoreau. But the only words that really matter are the words of God. I know you would argue with this because you are a so called "philosopher." All other words are philosophy in my humble opinion.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Ozymandias wrote: I might add that the fact that one can have a PhD in literature, since you bring up the terminology in PhD, is supportive of my point that literature is necessarily philosophy.
I think that your interpretation is supportive of the fact that you can't distinguish between the concepts of disciplines of enquiry and of administrative divisions.

Let's close the argument that I accept that your personal view is that everything is philosophy. I am okay with that.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Josefina1110 wrote:Everything boils down to the four letter word - - w o r d. Philosophy, science, arts and what not are just words. Man is just playing with words all the time. But there is a person who is the Word. His name is Jesus Christ. Only human beings have problems with words because only human beings use words. Other creatures don't. Man makes things complicated through the use of words. Aldous Huxley said, "Words form the thread on which we string our experience. Jean Paul Satre said, "Words are loaded pistols. "So difficult it is to show the various meanings and imperfections of words when we have nothing else but words to do it," - John Locke. "The words that I speak, they are spirit and they are life," Jesus Christ. "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. John 1:1. "The words of some men are thrown forcibly against you and adhere like briars. --Henry David Thoreau. But the only words that really matter are the words of God. I know you would argue with this because you are a so called "philosopher." All other words are philosophy in my humble opinion.
Well, actually, I'm a fairly enthusiastic Christian as well as a "philosopher". This isn't some battle between "philosophers" and "Christians". But I will still argue with your preachy statement because the topic you've thrown it into has little to do with philosophy. I don't know how you presume to hold that the Word of God is any better than the rest of the "words", given that Biblical text is one of the most convoluted, controversial, and varied sets of "words" humans have ever dealt with. Anyway, I really don't see how your statement here is supposed to aide the discussion and I think it's a misuse of Christianity.

Oh- and philosophy, science, arts, and what not have very little to do, fundamentally, with "just words". Science is the act of testing empirically observable phenomena in order to learn about the universe, art is communication by use of any media, not limited to words, and philosophy is... what we have been discussing. Certainly not "just words". Might I ask what you're doing on a discussion forum if it's all "just words" to you? Is there no meaning or significance to the discussion of these words and their implications?

-1-, I suppose, as much as I hate to say it, this is one of those "agree to disagree" things. For now at least; I'll ponder what philosophy intrinsically is and if I end up agreeing with you I'll post it so here.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream