My Non-Paradoxical Explanation of Time and Space

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
DouglasTheAwesome
New Trial Member

My Non-Paradoxical Explanation of Time and Space

Post by DouglasTheAwesome »

This is going to be quite a long post, so I may cut it short and come back to expand it later.

One night, when I was in the shower, I was frustrated about how the 4th dimension was so different compared to the first three. Keep in mind the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome. I suddenly had a moment of inspiration. "What if they aren't so different? What if they follow the same pattern? What if the difference between dimensions two and three are the same as between three and four?" I then started scribbling in a notebook for the next few hours. This is what I got:

The 0th dimension is a dot. No length, no width, no height. Zero dimensions.
The 1st dimension is a line. This single dimension is usually called length.
The 2nd dimension is like a square. They have two dimensions, which are titled two of the three following: length, width, and height.
The 3rd dimension is like a cube. It has three dimensions, being length, width, and height.

It follows the pattern:

The 4th dimension is like a cube, stretched out through a timeline. It has four dimensions, being length, width, height, and time!
The 5th dimension is like a cube, stretched out through multiple timelines. It has five dimensions, being length, width, height, time, and what is probably an unnamed measurement whatchamacallit.

Here is another pattern, that really makes light-bulbs go off in people's heads:

The 0th dimension is a dot.
The 1st dimension is a line. A line is made of an infinite number of dots strung together.
The 2nd dimension is like a square, which is made of an infinite number of lines strung together.
The 3rd dimension is like a cube, which is made of an infinite number of squares strung together.
The 4th dimension is like a cube stretched out through a timeline, which is made of an infinite number of squares strung together.
ETC.

Because of this pattern, there are an infinite number of dimensions. Given the fact that there are infinite dimensions, separations between dimensions are an illusion we created by giving them a name. A dimension is just a way of classifying a part of something that is already there, but everything has infinite dimensions. Paper still has thickness. Paper still moves through time. The paper still exists in alternate timelines. Et cetera.

I've also used these patterns to show how time flows, how time travel would work, etc., but I'm short on time. I'll come back and edit this post within the next few days.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: My Non-Paradoxical Explanation of Time and Space

Post by Sy Borg »

Hi Douglas. It may also be that there are natural limits to the numbers of dimensions, all yet to be known. Imagine that you pan out dimensionally from this universe, then to all possible permutations of this universe, then to multiple universes, then to all possible multiverses ... where to from there? Multiverses themselves are still in the realms of speculation for us, let alone extrapolations from the concept.

I find some of Rob Bryanton's videos helpful in understanding dimensions but my brain malfunctions with these ideas after a while: https://www.youtube.com/user/10thdim
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

DouglasTheAwesome:

One thing to bear in mind: the concept of dimensions is a mathematical construct. For sure, it is useful for modelling the observed world that we call reality, but you can go wrong if you start to confuse the map with the territory - to think that those dimensions are reality. You're quite right in observing that it is perfectly mathematically consistent to just keep adding more dimensions, obeying the rule that each new dimension is simultaneously perpendicular to all of the previous ones. But that doesn't necessarily mean you've made any empirical discovery about the observable world. It means you've used some deductive mathematical reasoning to make a discovery about mathematics.

The mathematical concept of an n-dimensional space is useful for modelling and visualising various different aspects of the physical world. Not just the thing that we normally refer to as space and think of as having 3 dimensions (or space-time that we think of as having 4 dimensions). That's just the most well known one.

Another well known use of this mathematical model called dimensionality is the concept of "phase space". As an example of this, think of all the numbers required to entirely define the state, at a given instant, of a point particle at a location in physical space. It is 6. You need 3 for its position and 3 for its velocity. Now imagine a system of n particles (where n is any whole number) like, for example, an ideal gas. The number of numbers required to define the state of that gas is 6n. Now you can imagine a "space" with 6n dimensions. In that multidimensional space a single point represents the entire state of that gas - the state of all its contituent particles. A line in that space could represent the evolution of that gas over time.

These are the ways in which the concepts of dimensionality and space can be used to manage the complexity of modelling complex systems.
Sandis36
New Trial Member

Post by Sandis36 »

The 3 dimensions are forward, up and to the side. The 4. dimension is time. But the 4. space- dimension is the fact that the space of the universe is without edge but everything belongs to it. Only after that comes the time, dimension or not. This is how the reality is like probably, not like in the mainstream cosmology. Does anybody agree?

There maybe some different things, the spirit world, the warm holes, ether and others, but physically we know only know these four and the time.
Toledoroy
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Toledoroy »

That's not a new theory. That's actually the reason time is referred to as the 4th dimension.
Sandis36
New Trial Member

Post by Sandis36 »

Time is not similar as the space- dimensions. There exists at least 5 dimensions in the reality. The 4. space- dimension is a space dimension, not exactly similar as the other three, and it is in the reality, it is the fact that the space of the universe has no outside and everything belongs to it. These has not been taken as facts in the modern astronomical cosmology, but philosophically they are rational facts.

I also like more the larger cosmology, the philosophical cosmology than the astronomical cosmology.

These 5 can be seen in the reality. In mathematics there can be more, but in the physical reality we now can see only these 5. Of course there can be other realities, the spirit world, the things of Quantum Theory and so on, but they are not clear yet for us.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Apparently few people really understand the modern space-time paradigm.

Consider an ordinary timeline. This is mapping time as space.

The timeline itself is the fourth dimension of space (or "space-time").

The plane on which the timeline is drawn is the fifth dimension of space.

The "room" on which the plane exists, on which the timeline is drawn, is the 6th dimension of space.

If you imagine our present-day Universe as a dot moving through 3-D space, much like a speck of dust floating around a room, you can visualize 6 dimensions of space. The 3 dimensions of space in which the speck of dust is moving through is 3 more dimensions of space than the speck of dust itself, which is representing our 3-D Universe. Therefore the room the speck of dust is traveling through represent the 4th, 5th, and 6th dimensions of space, which, due to the fact that our 3-D Universe is moving relative to, gives us our perception of time. This is why we have the idea of a "before, now, and after" ---> it's because our entire 3-D Universe is moving within higher dimensions of space....
Sandis36
New Trial Member

Post by Sandis36 »

This is not clear, what you mean by the fifth dimension here, and the 6. So it is also not clear, how the timeline is the 4. dimension. You just state this, with explanations that are not good and understandable. The time is not similar as the space- dimensions. Only the fact that the space of the universe contains everything can be a space- dimension. Rationally, not exactly, strictly logically. Of course everything depends of the fitting of the model to the evidence, we can make models infinitely. But the explanation of the evidence also depends of the model.
DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

Post by DumDumTaDum »

What is meant by the word "dimension" in this context. From reading the posts in this 'thread', and other texts about proposed mathematical structures by which existence may be symbolically represented, it appears to me that 'dimension' refers to that which might otherwise be termed a 'characteristic' or 'quality of'. Conceptually problems arise when these differences-by-which-we-establish-existence are, as it seems often occurs, described in terms of the particular qualities of space - i.e. length, breadth and height / X, Y & Z axis & planes / lines / points etc. Might it not be more helpful to simply consider them as existential 'fields', each with their own defining characteristic, within which the fundamental mathematical operations and relationships apply i.e. addition/subtraction, equivalence, identity etc.
Sandis36
New Trial Member

Post by Sandis36 »

Yes, in fact there is only 3 dimensions of the space. The 4. dimension of the space is not a similar dimension, it is only the fact that the space of the whole universe is such that there is no outside but everything is there. It is problematic how this should be interpreted in mathematical form. The time is also in the reality, but it is not a space- dimension, which it is only in the Theory of the General Relativity. Successfully that. In fact it is not a space dimension. And the space of the whole universe has no time, or at least the universe has a different time as the particles in the space of the universe.

This all we can rationally say as philosophers. The models in astronomical cosmology are a little different thing. The philosophy is a larger cosmology.
DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

Post by DumDumTaDum »

Unfortunately I have not watched this post frequently, and cannot therefore expect anyone else to return to it.

Further to the questions approached in this thread: I realise I do not have the mathematical training or aptitude to comment usefully nor to assess the comments of others, with regard specifically to matters of Physics in general and posited relationships between purported 'dimensions'.
Surreptitious57

Post by Surreptitious57 »

There can only be three classical spatial dimensions for that is the only number we can actually
experience. For we would not exist if the Universe was composed of any other number of them
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

Post by DumDumTaDum »

The question of the number of spatial dimensions - classical or relativistic and their relationship to other postulated existential dimensions seem to me to be more properly the field of mathematics and physics than philosophy. There does for instance seem to be clear experiential evidence for the notion of time dilation (ref. Wikipedia entry on Time Dilation). In any case a claim made on the basis of what "we can actually experience" - without explication of what is to be understood by the terms 'actually' and 'experience', cannot be addressed. Certainly if the phrase refers to that which is perceived by human beings, such 'experience' is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent.
Sandis36
New Trial Member

Post by Sandis36 »

That's right. There is only 3 dimensions in the space. Other things are not dimensions of the space, they are different ones. As I stated in the previous post. Mathematically they can be interpreted as dimension, but when they are not, some other way to handle them should be better. Time and the limitlessness of the space are the too obvious other things. The spirit world, the invisible world, would be one candidate too.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Surreptitious57 wrote:There can only be three classical spatial dimensions for that is the only number we can actually
experience. For we would not exist if the Universe was composed of any other number of them
Yes, and those three spatial dimensions make the form through which the material world is for us. And because we exist temporally, that is, our being consists of successive experiences of the world, also the world must be temporal, consisting of material events. We measure those events with our clocks, and now the situation becomes a bit more complicated, because those clocks go slower or faster depending on our position in relation to the clocks. Space and time get intertwined, and we have the concept of space-time, which is the result of applying and extending our original, subjective time to the material world.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream