What is Art?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
Spraticus

Re: What is Art?

Post by Spraticus »

Lucimix wrote:Art is the passage of something from a natural state to a cultural state.

Sometimes. Much of art is comment on other art. Are we talking about the popular use of the word art to cover things like painting and sculpture, or is it the arts, which would include music, dance, theatre etc. Once again, while I agree that it involves making things in the cultural realm, I'm not sure that it necessarily involves the transition from natural to cultural.
Fire_Monkey
New Trial Member

Post by Fire_Monkey »

Art is a language.

It's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something.

If you look at art in this manner, you can never go wrong, nor be argued with! As you can when discussing the merits or shortcomings of a particular piece of art. Like......Ya call that art? LOL. With the language idea, all one has to concede is that the artist was attempting to communicate something.

Btw....I'd like to say I invented this idea...Art as a language. But actually my wife the MFA major told me it. It is the dominant definition if art in college grad level courses, I am told.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Fire_Monkey wrote:Art is a language.

It's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something.

If you look at art in this manner, you can never go wrong, nor be argued with! As you can when discussing the merits or shortcomings of a particular piece of art. Like......Ya call that art? LOL. With the language idea, all one has to concede is that the artist was attempting to communicate something.

Btw....I'd like to say I invented this idea...Art as a language. But actually my wife the MFA major told me it. It is the dominant definition if art in college grad level courses, I am told.
Not bad, but be aware that by your definition (which I agree with, BTW) the use of the word "art" is warranted by the state of mind of the creator of said art (as opposed to an intrinsic characteristic of the piece itself). What do grad schools say is the role (if any) of the audience?
"As usual... it depends."
-1-

Post by -1- »

Art is the art of making the obvious obvious. -- unknown (to me) author.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

Fire_Monkey wrote:Art is a language.

You might be surprised at what people can argue with. Art can be used as you propose, to describe a medium of expression but it is often used in the appallingly silly sense, "Art is what artist do or what they refer to to when they say, "I make art", or, "this is art", which leaves you in an infinite regress of dependent definitions.
Saying, " it's a medium used by the Creator to express an idea or feeling or a representation of something," is a bit broad and vague; when Donald Trump talks about his wall he is certainly expressing something but I don't feel it's art.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Art is a language.

"You call that art???" The artist speaks a different language, that's all.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

-1- wrote:Art is a language.

"You call that art???" The artist speaks a different language, that's all.
Artists speak different languages.

"You call that art???" This usually said by people who know little about art and should really be saying, "That is bad art," or "I don't like that." These are examples of a common usage where people treat "art" as a signifier of approval for artifacts that meet their, usually very narrow, standards. There are also conflicts at definitional boundaries. One person will accept only drawing, painting and sculpture within their meaning of art, while the next will also accept performance and installation, but not looped film, and so on. I find Tracey Emmin very overrated and she derides anyone who still paints, as being stuck in the past. It's all a bit like saying, "I speak English, which is a proper language, not like those unacceptable Spanish or Arabs; these aren't really languages at all." When you see it from that angle it comes into perspective. There is always a temptation to put qualitative criteria into a definition of art, but if you do, the definition will fall apart because it becomes just a matter of personal taste and opinion, and not a matter of fact. When each person has their own definition the word becomes empty.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Spraticus, I generally agree with your opinion here.

However,

<<"You call that art???" This usually said by people who know little about art>> rubs me the wrong way.

I consider the statement "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" absolutely true. If you consider "art" to be beautiful, or consider that all beautiful things that man creates can be called art, then the quoted statement breaks down. The artist does not speak to the observer; but the observer has the ultimate judgement what he or she considers beautiful, and it's nobody else's business to agree or disagree with him or her to the tune of reforming his or her opinion, notwithstanding the amount (little or much) of knowledge he or she (the observer) has amassed about art.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

-1- wrote:Spraticus, I generally agree with your opinion here.

However,

<<"You call that art???" This usually said by people who know little about art>> rubs me the wrong way.

I consider the statement "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" absolutely true. If you consider "art" to be beautiful, or consider that all beautiful things that man creates can be called art, then the quoted statement breaks down. The artist does not speak to the observer; but the observer has the ultimate judgement what he or she considers beautiful, and it's nobody else's business to agree or disagree with him or her to the tune of reforming his or her opinion, notwithstanding the amount (little or much) of knowledge he or she (the observer) has amassed about art.

I'm a seventy year old who has been involved in art all my life. I'm speaking from experience. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder because beauty is a response state in the brain of the experiencer. The statement, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder," is effectively saying the same thing. That, however does not refute what I said. Denying that something is art is different from saying that it is bad art. Also, beauty is not the sole or main feature of art so rejecting an artifact's artness on grounds of personal aesthetic response alone, shows a shallow understanding of art.
-1-

Post by -1- »

I hear you, Spraticus.

However: would you say the same thing if I said "the lack of beauty also lies in the eye of the beholder"?

Consider an artist who paints or produces work that no other person likes or appreciates or values or considers beautiful other than its creator. Is it still art, if the work's creator likes it?

How many people does the art have to speak to before it can be called art, and how many people must it leave cold, before it is called non-art?

Personally (strong emphasis is on "personally") I tend to be an absolutist, and I say art is art if it speaks to at least one person on the globe. Be the person its creator or not.

The funny thing happens often, that the creator says one thing, and the observer sees a completely different thing in the work. They both use language to communicate the art piece, or with the art piece, yet the conversation can be completely different. Ha-ha. It happens in a graduated scale so you can say that the originally intended meaning always gets distorted by the time it reaches its audience. Haha. That's why I am a philosopher, not an artist or -critic. I feel safer with convergent resultants than with divergent ones.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

-1- wrote:I hear you, Spraticus.

However: would you say the same thing if I said "the lack of beauty also lies in the eye of the beholder"?

Consider an artist who paints or produces work that no other person likes or appreciates or values or considers beautiful other than its creator. Is it still art, if the work's creator likes it?

How many people does the art have to speak to before it can be called art, and how many people must it leave cold, before it is called non-art?

Personally (strong emphasis is on "personally") I tend to be an absolutist, and I say art is art if it speaks to at least one person on the globe. Be the person its creator or not.

The funny thing happens often, that the creator says one thing, and the observer sees a completely different thing in the work. They both use language to communicate the art piece, or with the art piece, yet the conversation can be completely different. Ha-ha. It happens in a graduated scale so you can say that the originally intended meaning always gets distorted by the time it reaches its audience. Haha. That's why I am a philosopher, not an artist or -critic. I feel safer with convergent resultants than with divergent ones.
That, "The lack of beauty also lies in the eye of the beholder" is really implicit in what I said. Beauty is a brain state of the beholder and the response can go all the way from -100 to +100, or whatever scale you want. It isn't an absolute and it can take any value you like. That viewers see different things from those intended by the artist is totally true. Artifacts are often full of symbolisms and personal references that completely escape the public, resulting in the average response being far closer to the abstract than people realise. The mistaken response is often based on the notion that being able to recognise objects in the work means the work is understood.

I suppose that you could take either a nominalist or a realist position on this. For me, beauty has no existence outside of the experience of the beholder; it is the name of the experience; I'm very clearly a nominalist. I think of it's gradations as like a vector or a dimension with values going to infinity in either direction.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Spraticus wrote:The mistaken response is often based on the notion that being able to recognise objects in the work means the work is understood.
With the added momentum-vector, that everyone recognizes what they can or are capable of at the time of viewing. I may see Agamemnon's struggle, others their own inner struggles, some a greedy-hungry snake around a bunch of males.
Spraticus wrote:For me, beauty has no existence outside of the experience of the beholder; it is the name of the experience; I'm very clearly a nominalist.
What you said here is so absolutely true. I think a realist would also agree with you (a materialist-evolutionarialist realist, that is.)

What does "nominative" mean? Ain't a rhetorical question; I truly don't have a clue what that means.
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

Roughly, a Realist holds that abstract concepts like beauty, or triangularity have a real existence somewhere, in some sense. Nominalists think that triangle is just the word that denotes a three sided figure and has no existence outside of our minds. (Or presumably the minds of aliens if they exist.) Realists are somewhat Platonic in their thinking.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Thanks, spraticus. Honestly (no kidding) I have thought that a realist thinks real smart and right on, and a nominalist thinks in some other way.

Thanks for the explanation.

In other news: what does "nominative" mean?

I had a long and drawn out argument once with a scientist who thought that the number "two" is a real and naturally occurring thing. I said, no, she said, sure, there are two eyes, two nostrils, etc. I could not penetrate her thick but otherwise beautiful skull to make her change her awful way of thinking about nominations. Her abomination of philosophical nomination was something really basic, and something I could not argue against. What would you have said to her? I was at my wits end, I could not bring up even one argument to defend my point of view.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

One thing for sure. The distinction between art and expression has been forgotten amongst the educated.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream