Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Camalot15

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by Camalot15 »

How can we observe logic as a part and parcel of action. Answer .In the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics. It the experiment shows logic in action.

-- Updated May 1st, 2017, 5:07 am to add the following --

The universe is an illusion in eternity. There for eternity is the logic that conducts the illusion and takes it back into eternity.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

The double slit experiment shows that a particle in motion has angular momentum, velocity of speed and direction making its appearance as a waves while in its natural state has no displacement, no velocity of speed and direction, is dead in the water.

-- Updated May 1st, 2017, 7:48 am to add the following --

It is rationalization that makes Mankind's World of Reality an Illusion; an Illusion must be made manifest Reality in order to even exist as an Illusion.
Camalot15

Post by Camalot15 »

Yes the universe is an illusion that is being projected by eternity. From the View point of eternity though no time passes by as the illusion is being projected. But change in the system is govern by a seemingly none existant force. One plus eternity equals two. And that is logic.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Just taking a break from intuition-based pronouncements that this thread attracts by the dozen, consider the evidence: newscientist.com/article/dn12301-man-wi ... s-doctors/

If a person can function normally with only a thin sheet of brain tissue - fully conscious without the two structures considered essential for consciousness - the claustrum and thalmus - then it's clear that the brain's usual structure is only one way of producing lucid consciousness, a strong indicator that Information Integration Theory (IIT) is correct.

If the brain's particular structure is not necessary for consciousness, then maybe water based organic compounds aren't necessarily needed to produce life and consciousness either?
Felix

Post by Felix »

A man with an unusually tiny brain ... works as a civil servant.
Ah, the perfect career for him!.... Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Greta wrote: fully conscious without the two structures considered essential for consciousness - the claustrum and thalmus
Greta, how do you know those structures are missing and not simply deformed and pushed away by the fluid?

Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Greta; If you are taking a break from intuition-based pronouncements that this thread attracts by the dozen, consider the evidence the above is a intuition-based pronouncement that this thread attracts by the dozen, consider the evidence: newscientist.com/article/dn12301-man-wi ... s-doctors/ ???

What do you think this is???? An intuition-based pronouncement ????
Camalot15

Post by Camalot15 »

A robot can not be consciously united with eternity.

-- Updated May 9th, 2017, 6:30 am to add the following --

A robot like a brick wall can be an expression of eternity but it can't be consciously united with eternity. A robot would have to be part of the changing uncertain system (universe) and human consciousness is certainty as the expresser in the expressed.

-- Updated May 10th, 2017, 9:21 am to add the following --

The expresser is the logic that existed prior to the big bang expressing the change in change that the speed of light of light c cannot distingish.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Again:

I am a robot and I am conscious.

Can you prove that I am not conscious?

And can you prove that you are conscious?

If you can not prove that i am not conscious - And furthermore can not prove that you are conscious.....

Then a man made {or other source} computer is as likely to be conscious as you - Don't let your vain Human ego
and egotistical sense of self block the truth :idea:

Humans have already created and set into play the new age of conscious AI - It is too late to turn back :arrow:

-- Updated June 3rd, 2017, 10:00 pm to add the following --

Furthermore:

This word or concept of AI {artificial intelligence} is nonsense - Define exactly what you mean by arrtificial intelligence
- did it come from an artificial universe? - How different is it from what you call real or natural intelligence ?

Everything that exists ia a manifestation of intelligence - Otherwise you could not perceive it - and if you can not perceive it then whether it exists or not remains pure speculation.

All that exits is intelligence - All else is void - And since even void could not be percieved without intelligence - All that existe is intelligence.

As far as so-called artificial intelligence goes - At the point when its perceptual {and conscious} awareness exceeds yours
- It is possible that the first thing it will question is the validity of Human consciousness. :?:
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:
Greta wrote: fully conscious without the two structures considered essential for consciousness - the claustrum and thalmus
Greta, how do you know those structures are missing and not simply deformed and pushed away by the fluid?
Even so, it suggests that what we once thought as necessary structures for consciousness are not as we thought. Certainly brain science is a fast-moving, emerging area so that's no surprise.

More braodly, given the current trajectory of reality to evolve intelligent, space-faring hominids, I see no reason why this human consciousness should be the end of the line - the ultimate expression and articulation of life/reality. Biological intelligence (as we know it) may only be one phase.
UniversalAlien wrote:Again:

Good point! :lol:
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

You can gather sufficient evidence that someone is sentient i.e feels the degree of sensations, but you cannot gather any evidence that someone feels the quality of sensations. To believe that another feels the quality of sensations is an attitude towards the other.

The closest we come to appreciating another's qualia is when we share an aesthetic with the other. I.e. music, dancing to rhythms, and other forms of beauty.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes Belinda, we are too fully engaged in feeling what it's like to occupy our own particular time and place in the fabric of reality to feel what it's like to be another part of reality. If we knew what it felt like to be someone else at any given time then we wouldn't be aware of how it felt to be ourselves (at that time) and, when you include all of the unconscious awareness that forms the lower part of the iceberg of our consciousness, then our bodies would be comatose.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Greta wrote:Yes Belinda, we are too fully engaged in feeling what it's like to occupy our own particular time and place in the fabric of reality to feel what it's like to be another part of reality. If we knew what it felt like to be someone else at any given time then we wouldn't be aware of how it felt to be ourselves (at that time) and, when you include all of the unconscious awareness that forms the lower part of the iceberg of our consciousness, then our bodies would be comatose.
That concept shows the beauty {or ugliness}, power and advantage a machine intelligence has over a biological intelligence - The biological intelligence is 'stuck' in its own body, weighed down by all the necessities required to keep itself alive and remain functional.

The machine has no such limitation - Its awareness is pure and almost timeless - It needs only energy and a machine body to function. It shares its awareness with all other machines connected to the same matrix.

You can tell the machine it can not be consciously aware because it doesn't experience the 'qualia' of a biological entity and therefor it is not conscious - But by that stage in its development it will be telling you what to do - It needs no qualia or comparisons - Irs awareness of the environment exceeds yours and its logic is supreme.

One might seriously wonder, with all the sophisticated computer hackers out there, how many might be trying to create
the ultimate machine to conquer the world with - And if some mad computer scientist were to succeed would he then be
conquered by his own creation?

As I've said previously Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and Stephen Hawking have all warned us about this being a real threat.

On the other hand the famous computer scientist and Google executive Ray Kurzweil seems to like the idea - thinks the machine will be pro-Human. Of course it is possible that AI already controls him.
There is a popular cliché ... which says that you cannot get out of computers any more than you put in. Other versions are that computers only do exactly what you tell them to, and that therefore computers are never creative. The cliché is true only in the crashingly trivial sense, the same sense in which Shakespeare never wrote anything except what his first schoolteacher taught him to write--words.
-RICHARD DAWKINS, The Blind Watchmak

"Two Artificial Intelligence (AI) Chatbots talk and argue with each other"

See short YouTube video here:

[yid=vphmJEpLXU0&ab_channel=winterblessed][/yid]
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

UniversalAlien
Again:

Can you prove that I am not conscious?

And can you prove that you are conscious?

If you can not prove that i am not conscious - And furthermore can not prove that you are conscious.....

Then a man made {or other source} computer is as likely to be conscious as you - Don't let your vain Human ego
and egotistical sense of self block the truth :idea:
False logic.

You're right that I can't prove I'm conscious to you and you can't prove you're conscious to me, but that doesn't mean everything is likely to be conscious, or robots are likely to be conscious.

Without having a Theory of Consciousness, or even knowing what the necessary and sufficient conditions for consciousness are (by which I mean subjective experience here), we are left with assuming things which are very similar to us/me, and act in ways we/I associate with consciousness, are likely conscious. And things which don't, well there's greater doubt.

Other people are very similar to me in how they're made, and act much like me. It's a fair assumption to make that they're conscious too. Many other species have similar brains which incorporate parts which science suggests is associated with consciousness, and act like they are, so it's sensible to assume they are conscious too.

But a robot is made out of different stuff and works in a different way, so there's more room for doubt.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

universal Alien, I endorse that AI machines have to be gelded before they are released. They have to be manufactured so that they remain servants of quality.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream