Godel ends in absurdity

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
gimal

Godel ends in absurdity

Post by gimal »

Godel's theorems are invalid for six reasons.

Godel's 1st theorem is about there being true maths statement which cannot be proven. Yet Godel cannot tell us what makes a maths statement true. Thus his theorem is meaningless.

Godel's proof uses his G statement. Yet his G statement is self referential and is banned/outlawed by the axiom of the system he says he is using. Thus his proof is invalid.

To see all the proofs that Godel ends in meaninglessness.
Read.
GODEL’S INCOMPLETENESS THEOREM. ENDS IN ABSURDITY OR MEANINGLESSNESS GODEL IS A COMPLETE FAILURE AS HE ENDS IN UTTER MEANINGLESSNESS
CASE STUDY IN THE MEANINGLESSNESS OF ALL VIEWS
gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/books/phi ... GODEL5.pdf

-- Updated Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:38 am to add the following --

to give proofs of the two points.

1) Godels theorem in semantic terms reads.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_in ... ss_theorem

“Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete. In particular, for any consistent, effectively generated formal theory that proves certain basic arithmetic truths, there is an arithmetical statement that is true,[1] but not provable in the theory (Kleene 1967, p. 250)
but

Peter Smith the Cambridge expert on Godel admitts godel does not tell us what truth is.
peter smith the Cambridge expert on Godel admitts
groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/brows ... 12ee69f0a8

Quote:
Gödel didn't rely on the notion
of truth
thus without telling us what makes a maths statement true Godels theorem is meaningless.

2) Godels G statement is self referential.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_in ... ss_theorem

“the corresponding Gödel sentence G asserts: “G cannot be proved to be true within the theory T””
Godel uses the axiom of reducibility in his proof.
and as godel states he is useing the logic of PM ie AR

“P is essentially the system obtained by superimposing on the Peano
axioms the logic of PM” ie AR
but.
AR outlaws bans impredicative statements
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Axiom_of_reducibility

russells axiom of reducibility was formed such that impredicative
statements where banned
Thus Godels G statement is self referential and is banned/outlawed by the axiom of the system he says he is using. Thus his proof is invalid.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Re: Godel ends in absurdity

Post by Renee »

Charging that Godel did not define "truth" and therefore his theory sucks, is not a valid charge.

Because if you asked for a definition of truth, and Godel gave you one, then you could charge still, demanding definitions of the words which words were used to define truth.

And if the definitions of THOSE words were supplied, you could still say, "This is meaningless, you need to define the words that define the words that define truth." This can go ad infinitum.

So you are starting a recursive process, and declare that the first iteration is missing, therefore the entire recursive process is faulty.

What you are doing is you're denying the power of the language.

Some words don't need to be defined; some words can't be defined, and yet we all agree what they mean.

So nailing Godel to the cross by charging he did not define "truth" is like nailing Jesus to the Cross, for not defining what "King" means in the expression "King of the Jews." (As an example of parallels, nothing more.)
Ignorance is power.
1i3i6--

Post by 1i3i6-- »

Godel doesn't end in absurdity as many people fail to often understand the difference between a formal and an informal system.
You could seemingly spend an eternity centered on detailing/distinguishing the two.
Suffice to say, Godel provided a brilliant foundation framework for doing so.

To recursively try to iterate or analyze his work is to miss the whole point.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

1i3i6-- wrote:Godel doesn't end in absurdity as many people fail to often understand the difference between a formal and an informal system.
So you say that if someone understands the difference between a formal system and an informal system, then he or she will understand Godel as not ending in absurdity.

I can't agree with that.
Ignorance is power.
1i3i6--

Post by 1i3i6-- »

Renee wrote:
1i3i6-- wrote:Godel doesn't end in absurdity as many people fail to often understand the difference between a formal and an informal system.
So you say that if someone understands the difference between a formal system and an informal system, then he or she will understand Godel as not ending in absurdity.

I can't agree with that.

As you selectively quoted me, Do you agree with :
"To recursively try to iterate or analyze his work is to miss the whole point."
or with :
"You could seemingly spend an eternity centered on detailing/distinguishing the two : Formal/informal system"
?
ChanceIsChange

Post by ChanceIsChange »

gimal wrote:Godel's proof uses his G statement. Yet his G statement is self referential and is banned/outlawed by the axiom of the system he says he is using. Thus his proof is invalid.
The Gödel sentence G refers to itself indirectly. In fact, Gödel proved that such a sentence exists; he did not simply assume its existence. Only in an informal outline is G represented as directly self-referential. Therefore, G is allowed whereas “This sentence is false.” is not (see Wikipedia/Liar Paradox/Gödel's First Incompleteness Theorem).
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

Charging that someone who was arguing that all systems are necessarily either incomplete or inconsistent, is being variously incomplete or inconsistent, is missing the point. First off establish that your chosen measures are logically necessary for Godel's theorum to be meaningful, and then, and only then, are we likely to care about whether he meets this arbitrary standard.
gimal

Post by gimal »

to put the point more simple
Godel ends in meaninglessness/contradiction http://gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/bo ... GODEL5.pdf

Godel's 1st theorem is about there being true math statement which cannot be proven. Yet Godel cannot tell us what makes a mathematics statement true-thus theorem is meaningless

Godel's 1st theorem states "“Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete. In particular, for any consistent, effectively generated formal theory that proves certain basic arithmetic truths, there is an arithmetical statement that is true,[1] but not provable in the theory (Kleene 1967, p. 250)" But Godel cannot tell us what makes a mathematics statement true-thus his theorem is meaningless

Also Godel's G statement is banned by the axiom of the system he uses to make his proof-thus his proof cannot go through. Also Godel falls into 2 contradictions and 3 paradoxes-Thus Godel's theorem is meaningless
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

gimal wrote:to put the point more simple
Godel ends in meaninglessness/contradiction http://gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/bo ... GODEL5.pdf

Godel's 1st theorem is about there being true math statement which cannot be proven. Yet Godel cannot tell us what makes a mathematics statement true-thus theorem is meaningless
No this doesn't follow. You're mistaking a logical argument (X therefore Y) with a positional argument (I believe X). It doesn't make any difference to Godel's theory what makes a mathematical statement true, merely that it has a truth value.
gimal wrote:Godel's 1st theorem states "“Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete. In particular, for any consistent, effectively generated formal theory that proves certain basic arithmetic truths, there is an arithmetical statement that is true,[1] but not provable in the theory (Kleene 1967, p. 250)" But Godel cannot tell us what makes a mathematics statement true-thus his theorem is meaningless
Again no, you've missed the point being made. He's demonstrating that a system that proves something true must rely on an unproven axiom. It doesn't matter how or in what way it is proven to be true, merely that there is a truth value.

Your argument is equivalent to arguing that X= 2Y is meaningless because no method is given to derive Y.
Vodoman
New Trial Member

Post by Vodoman »

The universe according to godel is eternity expressing its greation by the use of maths logic. So a rose flower is eternity expressing its self as a rose flower by maths. Am I correct.
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

Vodoman wrote:The universe according to godel is eternity expressing its greation by the use of maths logic. So a rose flower is eternity expressing its self as a rose flower by maths. Am I correct.
You may correct about Godel's views, but this isn't what he's famous for.

In general when people talk about Godel's theory they're most often talking about his fundamental incompleteness theorum, which states that any logical system may turn out to be unproveable, even in theory. Prior to Godel there had been a lot of work put into trying to demonstrate a complete thesis of logic, a logical system that would be both proveable and complete. Godel's work holed that project below the waterline, although it was not the only idea that did so.

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream