What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Noobe-Noobe
New Trial Member

Re:

Post by Noobe-Noobe »

Etherealpoet wrote:The meaning of life is simple; it is survival. Everything else is social and secondary to the true meaning. We can discus and ponder and reflect all we want, but in duing this we only pass the time until the inevidible. There is only one true meaning of life, and all life forms on earth, including those that cannot recognize such things, share the same one. I suggest surviving with purpose though.
I agree, at least at this point of my life. I believe that whatever we tell ourselves about the meaning of life, we tell it to have a reason to survive, and we need a reason just because we have evolved too much. We make up religions or theories to convince ourselves that there is a greater cause, but we do that 'cause otherwise we wouldn't survive. Either we'd kill ourselves or go mad.
Sorry if I can't explain very well what I want to say but my English aren't perfect :oops: .
Fairwinds
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by Fairwinds »

An interesting thought but still believe that complicated explanations are unnecessary. Life happens. Life is beautiful in its natural form. Individual life can be hell in bad circumstances. Concepts of why we re here and the search for a meaning are natural but unnecessary. Enjoy the stunning beauty of the planet and accept that our short life is transitory. Beyond that, the human intelligence is such that concepts and beliefs readily form and they have varying strengths from curious to fanatical. This is so called religion and most have beautiful and benign aims which benefit their believers. We all know about the consequences of extreme beliefs in all societies, and history guides us here.

Life is an accident of birth, an amazing gift. Enjoy it to the full before oblivion return!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Ranvier wrote:
An individual death is nothing but a dream, only to "wake up" again... Better.
Would you class this claim as hope or as faith?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

(Sorry to chip in). I guess such things could be hope, faith or evidence. Or a combination thereof:

We can believe things because we want them to be true - because we think life would be better than if they were not true.

We can believe things because we have faith that they are true - because we have a strong feeling that they are true that we think doesn't require evidence. Perhaps we think it's axiomatic, or self-evident.

Or we can believe things because we think we see evidence that they are true. It fits a pattern in our observations of the world.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Belindi wrote:Ranvier wrote:
An individual death is nothing but a dream, only to "wake up" again... Better.
Would you class this claim as hope or as faith?
I "believe" Conservation of Energy to be a fact, as well as I have faith in the cause and effect in a heavy body of evidence as evolution of life. Therefore, I would classify that statement as a "fact".
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Steve3007 wrote:I guess such things could be hope, faith or evidence.
Or pure logic. If death means end of being, there is non-being, which is self-contradictory. The problem is, of course, if the premise is as self-evident as I see it is.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tamminen:

Yes, I think you're right to mention logic. Although, of course, logic only allows us to create proposed truths about the world if they derive from other proposed truths about that world which were arrived at using hope, faith or evidence.

Logic in itself is a system of tautologies - things that are true by definition.

-- Updated Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 pm to add the following --
If death means end of being, there is non-being, which is self-contradictory.
If death were defined as "the end of being" then, yes, clearly it would by self-contradictory to claim that there can be "being after death". So I presume a person who proposes that there is "being after death" disagrees with this definition of the word "death".
The problem is, of course, if the premise is as self-evident as I see it is.
To be clear: what premise are you referring to in this sentence?
Fairwinds
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Fairwinds »

Reading through these posts, it strikes me forcibly that a simple question, "what is the meaning of life?", or "Why are we here?" Is being answered in a convoluted manner using a huge play on words. Words invented by mankind.

Maybe this is too simplistic, but my take on it is that Life is an amazing gift, the result of an accident of birth, and an unbelievable opportunity to savour all the myriad pleasures on a beautiful blue planet. This gift has no special meaning and the unpalatable truth is that we mean very little and the vast majority of humans will not be missed.

There is no special meaning in my view - we exist on the Earth for a very short spell, and lead our lives in our own way influenced more or less by other beings who both create and destroy. Humans have been described by a French philosopher (name escapes me) as " the scum of the universe" and the longer I live, the more I agree.

For a long time I have lived convinced that each day is special, that external doctrines of religion, politics, and even logic are suspect and that great pleasure can be obtained in the knowledge that life is transitory (that word again) and that the world in its natural state is truly beautiful and breathtaking. There is no need to search for meanings that do not exist.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Steve3007 wrote:To be clear: what premise are you referring to in this sentence?
The premise is: "If death means end of being, there is non-being."

This is self-contradictory if by "non-being" we mean nothingness. I have noticed that there are not many who see this "axiom" as self-evident, but I do.

-- Updated September 20th, 2017, 9:00 am to add the following --

To be a bit more precise:

Let us have these two sentences:

p: I cease to exist for good.
q: The world ceases to exist, even so that there has never been anything, no world, no me, no others, because also the past disappears.

p->q is true, and I am convinced of its truth. For me it is as self-evident as the Cartesian "I am".
We all know that q is false: the world does not disappear when I die.
Therefore p must also be false, since only a false statement can imply a false statement.
So my death does not mean my non-being, and everyone in our community of subjects can say the same.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Tamminen:

OK. You've stated that the sentence: "If death means end of being, there is non-being." is self-contradictory if by "non-being" we mean nothingness.

So I presume the premise that you regard as axiomatic is:

"Non-being does not mean nothingness."

Yes?

-- Updated Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm to add the following --

I wrote the above before seeing that you'd added more. I'll read the extra bit now.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

See my update.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

When you say "p>q" I presume you mean that q is an inevitable consequence of p.

I think it's only true if you're using a very specific, subjective definition of the term "the world", which is more accurately described as "my world". If q was this:

"My world ceases to exist, including all of my memories of myself, of others and of the past."

then p and q seem reasonable things to say. But as soons as you say "The world" you're implictly stating your belief in the objective existence of a world that exists independantly of you. So you're begging the question.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

I mean the world. What I am saying is that there can be a world that is independent of my personal existence only if I exist as a universal and eternal subject, i.e. if all of us are manifestations of one and the same subjectivity. I have written more about this in other posts.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK. I'll check out some of your other posts.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

All I am saying depends on one axiom of existence: "If I did not exist, there would be nothing." I keep wondering if anyone can imagine one's nonexistence, truly. Others', yes, but mine? And still there is the world after my death. A paradox that can be resolved only by seeing that my existence is eternal, and so is everybody's.

Is this hope, faith or evidence? I would say it is logic, but only on the condition that the axiom above can be seen as self-evident, which seems to be difficult for most people for some reason. But admittedly it was a remarkable insight for me, too.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream