Some Questions about P-Zombies Hypothesis

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Mosesquine

Some Questions about P-Zombies Hypothesis

Post by Mosesquine »

In this post, I offer some questions about P-zombies hypothesis. P-zombies are, by definition, hypothetical entities that behave like conscious people like us, and that are physically the same as us, but that have no consciousness. The hypothesis was offered genuinely by the philosopher named David Chalmers to refute materialism. If there were physically-equal-but-no-mental-life sorts of things, then materialism would not be the case.

However, I have some questions about the hypothesis. First, is it possible that physically normal beings like us are not conscious??? Dead bodies not like us are not conscious, since they are different from us in the sense of physical states. The question might be put like this: Is there a possible world in which the same physical states lack of metal world???

The second question is mostly the main issue that I am interested in. P-zombies behave like us as if they are conscious but they are not conscious. How can non-conscious being behave like conscious??? This is very important. In our actual world, people who are not conscious cannot behave like conscious.

Conscious behaviors imply being conscious. If you are behaving with consciousness, then you are conscious. If you are not conscious, then you cannot behave like you are conscious. So, the second question is more important.

I am very interested in what you think.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Re: Some Questions about P-Zombies Hypothesis

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

[Devil's advocate hat firmly in place]

Consciousness is not about behavior. Consciousness is about what it feels like to have experiences. I can experience the sight and sound of wind in a tree without doing anything, i.e., exhibiting behavior. Also, a machine can be caused to say "ooooo look at that wind!" without having the experience of seeing the tree. So why can't you have a machine that is caused to act like a human but doesn't actually have any of the feelings that a human has?

[admiring own hat]
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Think of a computer game where you decide what the character in some story line does. Within the game there are also characters that act independently but appear as if having their own thoughts and goals (essentially p-zombies for this analogy). If you then had a human observer they may not be able to distinguish between the characters as being under human control or led by automated responses (this would depend upon the complexity of the game).

The point is we can imagine this as if it were impossible to tell any difference between human and non-human operations.
AKA badgerjelly
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Mosesquine wrote:How can non-conscious being behave like conscious??? This is very important. In our actual world, people who are not conscious cannot behave like conscious.

Conscious behaviors imply being conscious. If you are behaving with consciousness, then you are conscious. If you are not conscious, then you cannot behave like you are conscious. So, the second question is more important.
This is quite false. I can easily imagine a good robot behaving like a conscious entity. And people can certainly do things consciously or unconsciously, and an observer would not know the difference. You can be daydreaming, and not aware of what you are doing in the least, and still do the dishes, sweep the floor, organize things, etc. For example, you can walk into a room, see the light switch is off, and say to yourself 'I will now turn the lights on' and then turn them on. Or you can walk into the room and, without thinking about it or even being aware of it in the least, mechanically and automatically just flick the lights on. And an observer in the room would have no way of knowing which was which, when they simply watch you turning the lights on.

So the P-Zombies hypothesis is quite correct. Consciousness cannot be seen in others, only in oneself....
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OP:
If there were physically-equal-but-no-mental-life sorts of things, then materialism would not be the case.
I don't see how that conclusion follows from that premise.
First, is it possible that physically normal beings like us are not conscious???
As Descartes famously noted, it's possible of everybody else except yourself. Although later people pointed out that even that is open to debate.

But just because something is possible doesn't necessarily make it useful to entertain it as a serious idea.
The second question is mostly the main issue that I am interested in. P-zombies behave like us as if they are conscious but they are not conscious. How can non-conscious being behave like conscious??? This is very important. In our actual world, people who are not conscious cannot behave like conscious.
You've presumably heard of the Turing test?
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Steve3007 wrote:
First, is it possible that physically normal beings like us are not conscious???
As Descartes famously noted, it's possible of everybody else except yourself. Although later people pointed out that even that is open to debate.

But just because something is possible doesn't necessarily make it useful to entertain it as a serious idea.
The question of whether or not we are really conscious is a very important idea, because in a way, it's the beginning of actual self-knowledge. In reality, people are rarely fully aware of what they're doing and why, i.e. they're not normally conscious, as we understand and define it, and in the way we like to imagine ourselves being. And once this is realized, a man might look for ways to strengthen and augment consciousness in himself. However, if one assumes that himself and everyone else is "conscious", one will never make any efforts in this area.
Quite false. People do this all the time, and I gave some examples above. We unconsciously and automatically do things all the time, and I'm not just referring to the automatic instinctive functions of the body, I'm referring to unconscious and automatic thoughts, feelings, and actions. In fact, this is the norm. We're not in control of our thoughts much of the time (daydreaming), we're never in control of our feelings (easily seen with negative emotions and outbursts like anger or fear), and often our physical "voluntary" movements are quite habitual and mechanical (like flipping the light switch when we walk in a room).

And the P-Zombies Hypothesis is a very clever way of showing this....
Consul

Post by Consul »

Steve3007 wrote:OP:
If there were physically-equal-but-no-mental-life sorts of things, then materialism would not be the case.
I don't see how that conclusion follows from that premise.
According to materialism, mental properties are either identical to, or different from but (metaphysically/ontologically) necessitated by (certain) physical properties of subjects, such that there is no (metaphysically/ontologically) possible world where there are physical duplicates of subjects of mentality which aren't themselves subjects of mentality. So if materialism is true, the existence of P-zombies may be conceivable, but it is impossible. And if their existence were possible, materialism would be false.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Chili

Post by Chili »

My own thinking goes along the lines of what many people here have said. The problem of other minds - combined with the mounting successes of reductionist science - lead one to increasingly entertain the idea that while one's own consciousness is undeniable, that other minds are quite the opposite. Using scientific methods, "you can't get there from here".

I read and re-read Chalmer's summation of p-Zombies and keep noticing that there is a blithe assumption of other minds. If one does not make that slip, then upon considering the "hard problem of consciousness", one is really not left with anything more that the "problem of other minds" but muddled a bit.

The argument seems to be something like: since we all know that we all are conscious, then we know for sure that nobody is a p-Zombie. But What If There Were?

By presuming to skate around the other minds problem, something confusing statements are made.

Can anyone describe the hard problem of consciousness in a way which differentiates it from the problem of other minds.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote:Can anyone describe the hard problem of consciousness in a way which differentiates it from the problem of other minds.
"The problem of other minds is the problem of how to justify the almost universal belief that others have minds very like our own."

(SEP entry on Other Minds)

So this is basically an epistemological problem.

"The hard problem of consciousness is the problem of explaining why any physical state is conscious rather than nonconscious. It is the problem of explaining why there is “something it is like” for a subject in conscious experience, why conscious mental states “light up” and directly appear to the subject."

(IEP entry on The Hard Problem of Consciousness)

So this is basically an ontological problem.

"The subjective nature of consciousness presents a real puzzle to both neuroscientists and philosophers these days and (at least in the case of the philosophers) also some days ago: How is it possible that something as subjective as consciousness and its phenomenal features can arise within the objective physical world in general, and our seemingly purely physical brain in particular? This question touches upon what philosophers like David Chalmers describe as the “hard problem.”
Put in an abbreviated way, this hard problem is the question of why there is and how it is possible that there is consciousness and thus subjectivity at all in the midst of an otherwise purely objective and completely non-conscious physical world. To address this question, the focus in this second volume shifts from the brain itself and its physical features, as dealt with in the first volume, to consciousness and its phenomenal features: How can the seemingly objective and purely physical brain possibly generate something as subjective and phenomenal as consciousness?"

(Northoff, Georg. Unlocking the Brain, Vol 2: Consciousness. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. p. xvi)
Chili

Post by Chili »

So roughly it is as I said. One skips over the inability to know about other minds, assumes they are out there, and then asks, how it is that they exist.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Chili wrote:So roughly it is as I said. One skips over the inability to know about other minds, assumes they are out there, and then asks, how it is that they exist.
The solipsist who thinks that his mind/consciousness is the only one there is is confronted with the hard problem as well.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Consul wrote:
Chili wrote:So roughly it is as I said. One skips over the inability to know about other minds, assumes they are out there, and then asks, how it is that they exist.
The solipsist who thinks that his mind/consciousness is the only one there is is confronted with the hard problem as well.
No. Especially the reductionist scientist solipsist will say that sure there is matter outside of his mind, but it would be unscientific folly to speculate that it has a mind of its own. No problem.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consol:
According to materialism, mental properties are either identical to, or different from but (metaphysically/ontologically) necessitated by (certain) physical properties of subjects, such that there is no (metaphysically/ontologically) possible world where there are physical duplicates of subjects of mentality which aren't themselves subjects of mentality. So if materialism is true, the existence of P-zombies may be conceivable, but it is impossible. And if their existence were possible, materialism would be false.
Yes, ok. I see what you mean now.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atreyu wrote:We unconsciously and automatically do things all the time, and I'm not just referring to the automatic instinctive functions of the body, I'm referring to unconscious and automatic thoughts, feelings, and actions. In fact, this is the norm. We're not in control of our thoughts much of the time (daydreaming), we're never in control of our feelings (easily seen with negative emotions and outbursts like anger or fear), and often our physical "voluntary" movements are quite habitual and mechanical (like flipping the light switch when we walk in a room).
A great point, Atreyu. This would seem to be leading to a link between focus and what we think of as consciousness.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Greta wrote:
Atreyu wrote:We unconsciously and automatically do things all the time, and I'm not just referring to the automatic instinctive functions of the body, I'm referring to unconscious and automatic thoughts, feelings, and actions. In fact, this is the norm. We're not in control of our thoughts much of the time (daydreaming), we're never in control of our feelings (easily seen with negative emotions and outbursts like anger or fear), and often our physical "voluntary" movements are quite habitual and mechanical (like flipping the light switch when we walk in a room).
A great point, Atreyu. This would seem to be leading to a link between focus and what we think of as consciousness.
Atreyu, I'm curious as to your idea of the role of memory with regard to consciousness. You mention flipping a light switch unconsciously, but what if everything regarding consciousness is the same between two such light switch flippings, except one is remembered and one is not? Is it that memory is necessary but not sufficient?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream