What is CTD?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Burning ghost

Re: What is CTD?

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve -

Several people have been over this over 5 years. RJG won't budge and thinks people disagree with the obviousness where what they disagree with tends to be his unfounded conclusion that consciousness does nothing. He seems to think that because "stuff" takes time nothing actually happens - that is essentially what his "argument" boils down to.

Basically it's and Achille's and rabbit problem. If Achille's at some point in time reduces the distance between himself and the rabbit in a race and continues to do so, he'll never actually pass the rabbit, because the quicker he halves the distance he has to infinitely half the remaining distance again and again and so no matter how fast he runs he cannot pass the rabbit.

I am sure you're familiar with this line of reasoning, it just appears RJG is not.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

BG: Yes, I take you point. But with each new poster that comes along hope springs eternal! I'd like to keep it simple and focus on one thing at a time. Experience has suggested to me that if we try to say too much in one go our interlocutor just has more places to hide. So I'd like RJG to just stick to the simple and (I think) obvious 5 steps that I listed in my previous post.

-- Updated Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 am to add the following --

(It's for this reason that I slightly regret the moon landing analogy that I introduced. An analogy like that provides lots of opportunities to bring up irrelevances to what is a very, very simple situation.)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

RJG wrote: Not so. “Zeno’s Paradox” is a sleight-of-hand “parlor trick”. It is not real or “actual”.
It illustrates that the way you describe change does not make sense.
Logic is our ‘innate’ means of “making sense”. Without it, 'nothing' makes sense.
Logic only concerns the relationship between propositions. It does not tell us what is or isn't the case, that sort of knowledge is empirical.

And yet again I note that you make no attempt to respond to what I wrote about the topic, so I'll leave it at that.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote: 1. Event in the world: Ball approaches my hand
Delay
2. Event in my brain: I perceive the ball
Delay
3. Event in my brain: I issue a command to my hand to catch the ball
Delay
4. Event in the world: My hand catches the ball
Delay
5. Event in my brain: I perceive my hand catching the ball
Steve, you fail to account for CTD in this timeline. For instance, at the time of step 1, you give the event happening in the world, but are missing the event happening in the (conscious) brain. Each step is missing the corresponding CTD. The "delay" that you show is just the delay between sequential events, not the delay associated to CTD.

Let's assume a CTD of 250 milliseconds, and take a closer (and more accurate) look at catching a ball:

@ t = 0
Event in the world: You throw the ball, ball leaves your hand
Event in my brain: I perceive you still holding the ball

@ t = 250 ms
Event in the world: Ball is in the air halfway to me, my hand initiates movement towards ball
Event in my brain: I perceive you throwing the ball, just now leaving your hand

@ t = 500 ms
Event in the world: Ball has reached me, my hand catches ball
Event in my brain: I perceive the ball halfway to me, I perceive my hand initiating movement

@ t = 750 ms
Event in the world: I spit on the ground
Event in my brain: I perceive my hand catching the ball

@ t = 1 sec
Event in the world: I throw the ball back towards you
Event in my brain: I perceive myself spitting on the ground

As you can see, 'conscious causation' is impossible.

If CTD exists, then a 'time lag' exists, and if a time lag exists, then ‘everything’ one is conscious of, has ALREADY HAPPENED. If it has already happened, then it has already been caused. If it has already been caused, then it is too late to ‘cause’ it.

... agreed?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

RJG:

In my timeline I added an event in the brain called " I issue a command to my hand to catch the ball". You have no such event in your timeline. You only have perception events. Why?
Chili

Post by Chili »

RJG wrote:If CTD exists, then a 'time lag' exists, and if a time lag exists, then ‘everything’ one is conscious of, has ALREADY HAPPENED. If it has already happened, then it has already been caused. If it has already been caused, then it is too late to ‘cause’ it.
... agreed?
RJG can you run through how these issues apply in this scenario?

* a person wakes up, gets out of bed, and writes a diary entry about what it's like to be alive, muses about consciousness, etc

In other words, what - if anything - is evidenced by an individual's reports of consciousness? Is the fact of consciousness somehow affecting what is written? Is the fact of consciousness itself somehow causing or influencing the content of the report?
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:In my timeline I added an event in the brain called " I issue a command to my hand to catch the ball". You have no such event in your timeline. You only have perception events. Why?
Steve, if you truly believe that you issued this command, then we can add it to the timeline (see revised timeline below). But, if we add it, then we will need to add the corresponding CTD component.

In other words, if you were "conscious" of giving this command, this means, according to CTD, that the 'real' event (the command) actually happened 250 ms 'prior' to your consciousness of it. And if this is so, then you didn't consciously command it, you were only conscious of the command. There is nothing that we can cause (or command) that hasn't already been caused. There is nothing that we can (consciously) "do", that hasn't already been "done".

Revised timeline:

@ t = 0
Event in the world: You throw the ball, ball leaves your hand
Event in my brain: I perceive you still holding the ball

@ t = 250 ms
Event in the world: Ball is in the air halfway to me, my body commands my hand to move towards the ball

@ t = 500 ms
Event in the world: Ball has reached me, my hand catches ball
Event in my brain: I perceive the ball halfway to me, I perceive my body commanding my hand to move towards the ball.

@ t = 750 ms
Event in the world: I spit on the ground
Event in my brain: I perceive my hand catching the ball

@ t = 1 sec
Event in the world: I throw the ball back towards you
Event in my brain: I perceive myself spitting on the ground
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

This stage:
@ t = 250 ms
Event in the world: Ball is in the air halfway to me, my hand initiates movement towards ball
should read:
@ t = 250 ms
Event in my brain: I perceive you throwing the ball, just now leaving your hand. I send a command from my brain to my hand telling it to move as a result of this perception.
In other words, as I said in relation to the baseball viewing analogy, I'm not just a passive observer. Events in my brain as a result of sensory neurones cause events in motor neurones.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Steve3007 wrote:should read:

@ t = 250 ms
Event in my brain: I perceive you throwing the ball, just now leaving your hand. I send a command from my brain to my hand telling it to move as a result of this perception.
The important question is -- were you 'conscious' of "sending this command"?

If so, then don't forget to add the corresponding missing CTD component; the event happening in 'real-time'; that happened 250 ms 'prior' to this 'conscious-time' event.

If not, and assuming you were ultimately conscious of this, then don't forget to add the corresponding missing CTD component; the event happening in 'conscious-time'; that happened 250 ms 'after' this 'real-time' event.
Last edited by RJG on November 15th, 2017, 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Here's a version of my original timeline again, showing both events outside and inside my brain, and broken down into a little more detail.

Events in the world: Ball is 3 metres from my hand.
Events in my brain: Nothing relevant. I haven't seen the ball moving yet.
Delay

Events in the world: Ball is 2 metres from my hand.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 3 metres from my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: Ball is 1 metre from my hand.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 2 metres from my hand. I issue a command to my hand telling it to catch the ball. It sets off down my nervous system towards my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: The command reaches my hand as the ball reaches my hand. My hand closes around it.
Events in my brain: I perceive the ball 1 metre from my hand.
Delay

Events in the world: My hand is holding the ball.
Events in my brain: I perceive my hand catching the ball.

Events in the world: My hand is holding the ball.
Events in my brain: I perceive my hand holding the ball.

It could be broken down into more detail if required. For example, the time taken for the sensory nerve impulses to go from my eyes to my brain is (I presume) shorter than the time taken for the motor nerve impulses to go from my brain to my hand. Because my hands are further away from my brain than my eyes are. But hopefully that's not necessary and you get the idea.

So I issued the conscious command to catch the ball at step 3. I did this even though my perception tells me that the ball is not in the right position yet. But, due to years of practice living inside this body, I know this and I know how to compensate for it. Just as Mission Control knows that when they say "Jump Buzz!" they shouldn't expect to see Buzz Aldrin jumping for some time. That doesn't alter the fact that they consciously commanded him to jump.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

You can throw a ball at someone in a completely vegetative state and they can still catch a ball. There is such a thing as PROCEDURAL MEMORY.

I can also make you wear glasses that make things appear to be more to your left than they are and you'll reach out into empty space trying to grasp at it. After a few minutes you'll adjust to the change, and then when I remove your glasses so that what you see is "how things are", you'll then grasp to the right of the item because you have to realign again.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes. You can also wear glasses to make everything upside down. And you adjust to that too. We learn the mapping between the world and our perceptions by experience. That's why we spend the first several months of our lives lying on our backs waving our arms and legs around constantly and observing the effect. We're creating a map.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve3007 wrote:Yes. You can also wear glasses to make everything upside down. And you adjust to that too. We learn the mapping between the world and our perceptions by experience. That's why we spend the first several months of our lives lying on our backs waving our arms and legs around constantly and observing the effect. We're creating a map.

:D

This is what blows my mind more than anything.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, I suppose so. The idea that the mapping between reality and perception is created by experience and is therefore flexible is maybe surprising at first?

In the context of this topic, what it means is that any delay between an event happening in the world and our perception of that event can be automatically built into the map by experience. To put in software terminology nothing has to be "hard-coded". As infants, when we're lying on the floor wiggling around we're automatically programming ourselves to know what the delay is for our particular body. We learn by experience the length of time between a motor signal leaving our brain saying "move left leg" and the sensations that result - the feeling of the leg moving and the associated view of the leg moving.

As we grow, presumably the nerve lengths grow so the time delay presumably increases. So it seems natural that this process of map making must continue throughout our lives. We're always capable of re-configuring the map if new sensations suggest that it's useful to do so. And we then extend the process outside our bodies. When we learn to drive a car, the car becomes like an extension of our bodies.

It's really no different from the way that science creates patterns/maps in our observations. Science is just a formal continuation of this natural pattern/map forming process.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I learn how to co-ordinate hand and eye so that I can throw and catch things - as a reflex action.

I see a moving ball in my vicinity. Without thinking what I am doing, I catch it.

Followed by event in brain: 'Oh! A ball! I wonder where it came from'. I look around. I see some people playing a game. I decide to throw it back.

After a few moments I throw it back without thinking how I am doing it, again using learned reflexes.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream