Why do we exist?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Bebelle
New Trial Member

Why do we exist?

Post by Bebelle »

Have you ever felt that everything you do and will do is meaningless? That no matter how great you are at something you will never be truly important, and that's when you are good at something, because most of the time you are just average. So why should we live if our existence has no importance, if it is not going to make any difference in the world? No big changes, you are just one more person like many others.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why do we exist?

Post by Sy Borg »

Then again, while we rely on society to survive, our sense of self worth need have nothing whatsoever to do with our societal interactions or dynamics. Walk in nature - just be a living thing amongst other living things, drawing in the same air, absorbing the same solar radiation as part of this extraordinary edifice of life on Earth.

Rather than feeling pointless, you can feel glad and privileged to part of these extraordinary things - the body of humanity, the biosphere, the Earth, the solar system. You are ultimately a tiny part of the expression of each of these entities. The nice aspect of this is that, since you (like me) are apparently not especially good at anything or capable of making much of a needed contribution to the world, we can sit back and enjoy watching it unfold without undue pressure of responsibility. Personal and local level assistance rendered to others is always an option and often happens naturally through the usual interactions of life anyway.

Being a major influence, mover or shaker is only for the few. Many prefer, or at least settle for, a pleasant life that only includes little victories. The beauty is that one may be thoroughly mediocre - say, only gaining fame by twerking on reality TV - and still be one of the most complex and extraordinary things in the galaxy for trillions of kms, and still be part of this incredible evolving biosphere.

Enjoy the show :)
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Bebelle wrote:Have you ever felt that everything you do and will do is meaningless? That no matter how great you are at something you will never be truly important, and that's when you are good at something, because most of the time you are just average. So why should we live if our existence has no importance, if it is not going to make any difference in the world? No big changes, you are just one more person like many others.
Looking back at the more nihilistic periods of my life, I don't think that even then everything was meaningless. There was a high unbalance, perhaps, between what was not worth living for and the little rewards.

So you're deep down in a hole and what do you do? A Spanish philosopher said that once you find yourself lost, you have begun to find the way. Your mission is to climb up and leave the damn hole. The strength you gain in doing so will help you make the difference.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Newme

Post by Newme »

Count Lucanor wrote: Looking back at the more nihilistic periods of my life, I don't think that even then everything was meaningless. There was a high unbalance, perhaps, between what was not worth living for and the little rewards.

So you're deep down in a hole and what do you do? A Spanish philosopher said that once you find yourself lost, you have begun to find the way. Your mission is to climb up and leave the damn hole. The strength you gain in doing so will help you make the difference.
I like how you put that. Like a chick breaking out of its shell... & the psychologically heretical positive disintegration. Depression and similar ideally serve purposes of getting our attention that something isn’t right so there’s a disintegration of that in order to regroup in better ways.

Life is temporary and relatively short. And I’ve come to ask “why” enough to realize for so long my reasoning wasn’t meaningful enough. I’m working on focusing on appreciation as well as well-directed hope.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Bebelle wrote:Have you ever felt that everything you do and will do is meaningless? That no matter how great you are at something you will never be truly important, and that's when you are good at something, because most of the time you are just average. So why should we live if our existence has no importance, if it is not going to make any difference in the world? No big changes, you are just one more person like many others.
When one has the thought 'life is meaningless', then one is one of those small percentile of people who are caught in a eddy [a circular movement of wind, fog, or smoke.] of turbulence of life forces in premature sense.

Since you are in a philosophical forum, it would be wiser to hitch onto the maxim 'Know Thyself' [Socrates].

If we observed [as exhaustive as possible] and carefully, based on empirical evidence we can infer there is a 'purpose' and 'meaning' to life and human beings are endowed with all the necessary elements to strive to survive with 'purpose' and 'meaning'.

Thus to be human is to align oneself and strive with the best of one's ability with this universal survival, purpose and meaning of life.

The fact is there is a small % who [no matter how hard they try even with medical assistance] are unable to get into alignment with the main river of life, so they will eventually surrender life prematurely.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Bebelle wrote:Have you ever felt that everything you do and will do is meaningless?
Yes I have and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Bebelle:

Yes, I have thought that. It's an endless source of amusement to me: being a not very skilled stage-hand watching the poor players that strut and fret their hours upon the stage and then are heard no more. My advice is to have a large gin and tonic, or a spliff (if that's your thing), and laugh at it all. Be the little Lebowski, not the big one.
Bebelle
New Trial Member

Post by Bebelle »

Greta wrote:Then again, while we rely on society to survive, our sense of self worth need have nothing whatsoever to do with our societal interactions or dynamics. Walk in nature - just be a living thing amongst other living things, drawing in the same air, absorbing the same solar radiation as part of this extraordinary edifice of life on Earth.

Rather than feeling pointless, you can feel glad and privileged to part of these extraordinary things - the body of humanity, the biosphere, the Earth, the solar system. You are ultimately a tiny part of the expression of each of these entities. The nice aspect of this is that, since you (like me) are apparently not especially good at anything or capable of making much of a needed contribution to the world, we can sit back and enjoy watching it unfold without undue pressure of responsibility. Personal and local level assistance rendered to others is always an option and often happens naturally through the usual interactions of life anyway.

Being a major influence, mover or shaker is only for the few. Many prefer, or at least settle for, a pleasant life that only includes little victories. The beauty is that one may be thoroughly mediocre - say, only gaining fame by twerking on reality TV - and still be one of the most complex and extraordinary things in the galaxy for trillions of kms, and still be part of this incredible evolving biosphere.

Enjoy the show :)

But if being a major influence is only for the few and you and me are only gonna be spectators our whole lives, than what is this all for? Even if we are part of this big universe, if you don't have a purpose it is almost the same as being dead, since you will be living a life without meaning being lived just because that is the way it is supposed to be. Going to school, and then to college, starting in a job, getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, getting married, having kids, getting a divorce, and then finally dying. All this "journey" and we will go back to the same place that we came from: The earth. So, if in all your life you didn't do anything to leave a mark or to make a change, living a ordinary life like many others, then you basically lived to die, to go back to the same place from where you came. Wouldn't it be easier if we weren't born at all?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Bebelle wrote:But if being a major influence is only for the few and you and me are only gonna be spectators our whole lives, than what is this all for? Even if we are part of this big universe, if you don't have a purpose it is almost the same as being dead, since you will be living a life without meaning being lived just because that is the way it is supposed to be. Going to school, and then to college, starting in a job, getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, getting married, having kids, getting a divorce, and then finally dying. All this "journey" and we will go back to the same place that we came from: The earth. So, if in all your life you didn't do anything to leave a mark or to make a change, living a ordinary life like many others, then you basically lived to die, to go back to the same place from where you came. Wouldn't it be easier if we weren't born at all?
Certainly we are very small in the realm where the main discourses, such as environment and political policies, take place. Institutions are like steamrollers and we are like rats scuttling away from the roller.

However, in our own realm we have plenty of influence - family, friends, pets, neighbours, workmates, acquaintances, gardens, house plants and so on.

Consider that an inventory of the effects of your life was held afterwards. Not the things that people know about, but everything. Every time you touched another's life. Every time your showed or failed to show kindness to those who are at your mercy. The web of influence of every long-lived being is necessarily huge - but it will never be fully noticed, understood or acknowledged (unless AI archaeologists find a way of teasing out and understanding all of the connections of life). Even when you sneeze, millions of beings will find a home in your stray droplets of watery mucous. Countless unknown knock on effects occurring daily that perhaps no one will ever know. What we do know is that if no one was born at all, life would never have progressed from microbe to mammal.

We are part of all this progression, links in the chain. Maybe we live in a difficult "immature" reality, where life is difficult until a more mature, stable and relaxed state is achieved, at which time life will make more sense.

I have boiled the point of life down to having fun, trying to make yourself useful and avoiding causing harm as much as practicable. Life is mysterious and no one really knows what's going on, despite bravura from some, so it makes more sense to try to make the best of this life than the alternative.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Bebelle -

Humility is the first step beyond nihilism.

Ask yourself WHY you're asking this question in the first place. Ask yourself what you mean by "exist" and what "meaning" is?

After that it may be useful to think about what you imagine a good and bad future could be for you. Decide whether you want a good future or and bad future and then decide if you're willing to suffer and strive toward the good or simply lie back and surrender all responsibility.

You were born. You are here now. Go explore. Go find out what other people are out there, what other opinions people have, how far you can push yourself. Discover your limits and you'll discover "meaning".

-- Updated November 27th, 2017, 1:40 am to add the following --

I would add ... judging by your pic I gather you understand beauty. That is a place to start right?
AKA badgerjelly
Razblo

Post by Razblo »

No importance to who? Important people? If so I think one should then ask themselves why one deems the important people important and whether these so-deemed important people must also notice one's own importance in order to self-deem one's importance.

-- Updated November 27th, 2017, 1:50 am to add the following --
Albert Tatlock wrote:
Bebelle wrote:Have you ever felt that everything you do and will do is meaningless?
Yes I have and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Yeah I've noticed that about you too. Good nickname and pic though.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

There is a great deal of discussion about the meaning of life as if that word "meaning" signifies something everybody understands. I can be useful to many people in different ways. I can be useful to a hamburger joint if I eat their hamburgers and I can be useful to a squirrel if I give it a peanut but does that satisfy my meaning in life? No matter how useful I prove to all sorts of creatures is my main purpose in being alive to serve squirrels? If not, then what determines my usefulness?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Bebelle (to Greta):
But if being a major influence is only for the few and you and me are only gonna be spectators our whole lives, than what is this all for?
A major influence on what? Spectators of what? As others have already pointed out, the answers to these questions are entirely dependant on scale. At some scales we're all (even the most influential people in the world) "just" spectators. At other scales, you and I are both major influences.

What is it that leads you to pick a particular scale? Is it determined by the amount of the world you can see on TV?
Chili

Post by Chili »

Count Lucanor wrote: So you're deep down in a hole and what do you do? A Spanish philosopher said that once you find yourself lost, you have begun to find the way. Your mission is to climb up and leave the damn hole. The strength you gain in doing so will help you make the difference.
For a scientifically-minded observer, watching you climb up, he will decide this is merely chains of cause-and-effect leading back to the big bang. There is no "agency" involved. Do you agree or disagree?

-- Updated November 27th, 2017, 1:19 pm to add the following --

The human is a very social creature and sometimes that sense of meaninglessness will be ameliorated by doing something which others find meaningful.

Also, sometimes it is surprising how mood can be altered by getting better food, more sunshine, enough sleep.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Whether or not I decide to climb out of the hole makes me the agency.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream