What are the Gods of man?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Jerrygg38

What are the Gods of man?

Post by Jerrygg38 » May 13th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Man has many Gods. What are they? Are they valid? Firstly it is clear that the Gods of man are the product of man. Each religion preaches that their particular God is legitimate.Unfortunately they often preach that the other Gods of man are false. This tends to promote hatred and violence. Yet it is clear that all the Gods of man are either all false or all true. The atheist would say that they are all false. I am of the opinion that they are all true.
How can that be? The God of the universe set up a situation in which the judgment of man is by man. This means that man makes his own Gods.
The religions of man tend to be unethical. Somehow a monster God is sentencing some to eternal rewards and others to eternal punishment. As I see it the God of the Universe is quite ethical and therefore puts the judgment of man in the hands of man.
A Christian can achieve the Kingdom of Heaven by accepting Jesus. All the kingdoms exist at the center of our Earth in the higher light speed dimension. Thus the faithful Christian will achieve the Kingdom after purification. The same is true of all the many religions in the world. A person enters a particular kingdom. Then he is absorbed but he will reincarnate over and over again. Thus Heaven is only a temporary stopping point.
Everyone gets the same thing. Some are sentenced to the outer darkness and disintegrate. We are completely separated from the ultimate creator of the Universe. Yet as we study the various holy books there is a clue to what is happening.

Erribert

Re: What are the Gods of man?

Post by Erribert » May 27th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Today we have the God called Randomness. It is one of those gods we take for granted, yet cannot fathom. We also have Natural Selection as our choice maker. Many believe in the god of Gravity and Electromagnetism. Both creationists in their own right. Many of these gods also had Greek counterparts. Chronos was our god of Time. Gaia was the goddess of earth. Zeus was electromagnetism. And let’s not forget Chaos who still retains the same name today. We still worship the sun, Ra, and believe in Atun. Cosmology has the creation myth of the Big Bang, caused by the God Singularity. Science is still full of the old gods. The only difference is that they appear impersonal. Still, jump off a ledge, and Gravity becomes very personal.

The book American Gods is a fun read. Old gods v new gods.. I suppose money is also a god to many. Wall Street is a church.

Cheers

Jerrygg38

Post by Jerrygg38 » May 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm

As I see it, the Earth itself is a God. The Sun has a spiritual dimension and to believe that the sun is a God appears true to me. This is because we live in a dual physical/spiritual universe.
The things you mention all have spiritual components. I do not see any spiritual component to money or the wall street church but agree they are false Gods.

IThink IThinkTooMuch
New Trial Member

Post by IThink IThinkTooMuch » June 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

There are as many Gods as there are people that believe in God

Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum » June 23rd, 2018, 10:05 pm

Here is how the idea of God first emerged;
  • Note the original idealization of a God;
    1. The emergence of the idea of a God emerged millions of years ago from a terrible existential crisis [psychology].
    2. In their experience of the terrific forces of nature, humans infer some being greater than themselves.
    3. Then this greater being was anthropomorhized as some sort of deity i.e. God.
    4. The natural one-up [mine better than yours] instinct kicked in and inevitably the idea of God will end up with the ontological God where no one can claim whose is greater than the other.
    5. This inevitable ontological God is the only way out if one resort to the idea of God to deal with the fundamental psychological issue.
The idea of God [illusory] is merely a falsehood and a necessary lie to deal with a fundamental existential psychological issue.

The initial impulse towards a belief in a God was fundamentally a psychological impulse of an existential crisis driven by a zombie parasite.

The solution to a psychological problem therefore should be psychological [as the Buddhists and other Eastern religion has done] rather than merely logical thinking or faith of the Abrahamic theists.

The psychologically necessary gods of man has facilitated the emergence of many 'man-of-God' to abuse the psychological vulnerable theists.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » June 24th, 2018, 2:41 am

Jerrygg38 wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm
As I see it, the Earth itself is a God. The Sun has a spiritual dimension and to believe that the sun is a God appears true to me.
I relate to this. I see the Earth/Moon system as fulfilling all important criteria to be considered our deity, while the Sun can be seen as the deity of the Earth and other planets, and the Sun itself is subject to the supermassive black hole Sagittarius A* in the centre of the Milky Way. Meanwhile the Milky Way is subject to the Laniakea galactic supercluster, and goodness knows what structures superclusters form in the cosmic web.

Each of these entities, including the planet Earth, is massive, complex and powerful beyond the human capacity to comprehend. They created us and sustain us. Ticking a lot of boxes there. Meanwhile we we are the god of our microbes, as is any multicellular organism.

Obviously we are being a little quirky with our sue of the word "god" - or sensible. There's relative omnipresence and omnipotence, plus creation and sustenance, but without the anthropomorphism. "Relative" was emphasised because it's reflective of the fractal nature of reality - the various layers of Russian doll "gods" within "gods".

Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter » June 24th, 2018, 3:43 am

God is the object of our ultimate concern.

Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical » June 24th, 2018, 6:02 am

All gods are the gods of man. They are all contingent on cognitive activity, nothing more than a mental construct, an extension of ones ego, the result of an ideology fuelled by religion and ignorance. They are destined to start wars with the intention to unite us all, they have the ability to give life meaning but are themselves meaningless.
Man creates god, then mans belief in god destroys man......
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out