Any Questions About Living With Legal Marijuana? Your Area Considering It?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Re: Any Questions About Living With Legal Marijuana? Your Area Considering It?

Post by LuckyR »

-1- wrote: May 16th, 2018, 10:14 am I am immune to the lure of Marijuana. I don't smoke, have in my early twenties and made me paranoid, hungry, and heightened my sexual pleasure. But it was useless otherwise, and a big money-guzzler.

I am also immune to the lure of alcohol or cigarettes.

I have two auto-immune diseases, too, one Arthritis, one Diabetes.

No, thank you please, it only makes me sneeze, and then it makes me hard to find the door.
Props to a Ringo fan, from back in the day.
"As usual... it depends."
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

You realise, of course, that even moderate doses of cannabis: profoundly impair the capacity to maintain focussed (effortful) attention/concentration; substantially delay reflex reaction times; diminish overall levels of alertness, vigilance, conscious awareness; have a negative impact on the ability to form competent judgements wrt to factors like time, distance, velocity, etc ; all of which are critical for enabling an individual to drive a car safely in the kind of road and traffic conditions that they will have to deal with in the modern West today.

You realise as well, that as is the case with alcohol, making it illegal to drive whilst under the influence of cannabis, will do absolutely nothing to prevent a material number of irresponsible persons flouting the law and driving whilst intoxicated on the drug. The bottom line is that legalising cannabis is logically likely to increase ( NOT decrease) the number of persons in your State who WILL drive under the influence of cannabis , isn't it (?) and this will, in turn, inevitably increase the number of law-abiding individuals who die or or seriously injured in road traffic accidents in your community every year.

With DUIA, the law typically stipulates some quantitative maximum for blood alcohol content above which it is illegal to drive. In some cases, as in my State, learner drivers or persons how have only recently passed their driving test are not permitted to have ANY alcohol whatsoever in their blood while they are behind the wheel.

As cannabis is legal in your community, tell me, does the law stipulate a zero-tolerance policy for drivers who test positive for cannabis use?

Also, I would be very interested to know what kind of regulations there are in your State regarding the purchase of cannabis. Could you tell me, just out of interest:

(1) Is an official register required to be kept by marijuana vendors containing a legal record of details such as: who makes purchases of cannabis, how much cannabis is purchased of what kind, when the drug is purchased ( time and date) and so on ?

(2) Are different stains/cultivars of cannabis sativa/cannabis indica offered for sale? If so, are there any regulations stipulating a legal maximum THC concentration for any of the different kinds of pot that are offered for sale? Are high potency cannabis products( like "skunk", cannabis oil/resin, etc) legally purchasable from stores that sell pot in your State?

(3) What is the minimum legal age one must be to buy cannabis in your State?

(4) Does your State provide official medical/legal warnings regarding the use of cannabis: in pregnancy, by under-age children or adolescents, at work, by persons who have certain diagnosed psychiatric conditions ( like Major Depressive Disorder, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Affective Disorder, etc.) or persons who are currently taking a regular prescription for other psychoactive medicines like benzodiazepine tranquillizers (Valium, Xanax, etc) or antipyschotic agents (like Risperdal or Amisulpiride) and so on.

Thanks if you can field these queries.

Regards

Dachshund
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund, what difference does it make if people are already driving drunk stoned, on ice, on crack, on LSD, on heroin, while stressed severely, while exhausted, while in the midst of fury, while prone to fits or fainting ... and so on.

Weirdly, most of us are still alive. There's a fair bit of Murdoch talk in your post with enormous exaggeration and false relativism - are you sure you are not from the Clubs and Pubs lobby group?
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 12:15 am Weirdly, most of us are still alive.
Are you referring to yourself as a regular user of cannabis ?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund wrote: May 18th, 2018, 1:41 am
Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 12:15 am Weirdly, most of us are still alive.
Are you referring to yourself as a regular user of cannabis ?
No (and I am sporadic anyway), I'm referring to being a road user when people are already driving drunk, stoned, on ice, on crack, on LSD, on heroin, while stressed severely, while exhausted, while in the midst of fury, while prone to fits or fainting ...

Somehow we are not dead. Could it be that your men in the Murdoch media and at Fox exaggerate relatively small issues enormously, if they are kind of scary and sexy like d-r-u-g-s, so as to sell copy?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dachshund wrote: May 17th, 2018, 11:42 pm You realise, of course, that even moderate doses of cannabis: profoundly impair the capacity to maintain focussed (effortful) attention/concentration; substantially delay reflex reaction times; diminish overall levels of alertness, vigilance, conscious awareness; have a negative impact on the ability to form competent judgements wrt to factors like time, distance, velocity, etc ; all of which are critical for enabling an individual to drive a car safely in the kind of road and traffic conditions that they will have to deal with in the modern West today.

You realise as well, that as is the case with alcohol, making it illegal to drive whilst under the influence of cannabis, will do absolutely nothing to prevent a material number of irresponsible persons flouting the law and driving whilst intoxicated on the drug. The bottom line is that legalising cannabis is logically likely to increase ( NOT decrease) the number of persons in your State who WILL drive under the influence of cannabis , isn't it (?) and this will, in turn, inevitably increase the number of law-abiding individuals who die or or seriously injured in road traffic accidents in your community every year.

With DUIA, the law typically stipulates some quantitative maximum for blood alcohol content above which it is illegal to drive. In some cases, as in my State, learner drivers or persons how have only recently passed their driving test are not permitted to have ANY alcohol whatsoever in their blood while they are behind the wheel.

As cannabis is legal in your community, tell me, does the law stipulate a zero-tolerance policy for drivers who test positive for cannabis use?

Also, I would be very interested to know what kind of regulations there are in your State regarding the purchase of cannabis. Could you tell me, just out of interest:

(1) Is an official register required to be kept by marijuana vendors containing a legal record of details such as: who makes purchases of cannabis, how much cannabis is purchased of what kind, when the drug is purchased ( time and date) and so on ?

(2) Are different stains/cultivars of cannabis sativa/cannabis indica offered for sale? If so, are there any regulations stipulating a legal maximum THC concentration for any of the different kinds of pot that are offered for sale? Are high potency cannabis products( like "skunk", cannabis oil/resin, etc) legally purchasable from stores that sell pot in your State?

(3) What is the minimum legal age one must be to buy cannabis in your State?

(4) Does your State provide official medical/legal warnings regarding the use of cannabis: in pregnancy, by under-age children or adolescents, at work, by persons who have certain diagnosed psychiatric conditions ( like Major Depressive Disorder, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Affective Disorder, etc.) or persons who are currently taking a regular prescription for other psychoactive medicines like benzodiazepine tranquillizers (Valium, Xanax, etc) or antipyschotic agents (like Risperdal or Amisulpiride) and so on.

Thanks if you can field these queries.

Regards

Dachshund
Oh, you're welcome for correcting the errors in your last post. You really don't need to thank me, I'm happy to help out.

I was initially concerned that your Google skills suddenly evaporated. Then I realized your secretary had gone to lunch. Don't worry I am pretty sure she'll be back soon.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 2:55 am Somehow we are not dead. Could it be that your men in the Murdoch media and at Fox exaggerate relatively small issues enormously, if they are kind of scary and sexy like d-r-u-g-s, so as to sell copy?
Dear Greta, LuckyR

Here is a relatively succinct argument for the eradication of cannabis...

All you need to do is google the terms: " A Case for the Eradication of Cannabis The Bow Group David Sergeant " to bring it up.

The facts this document presents are drawn not from the Murdock press my dear, but from the veritable mountain of hard, reputable, high-quality scientific evidence that has already been published to date in a range of high-impact, professional, academic journals. A body of literature which , I can assure you,( silly, ill-informed woman that you are ),unanimously, clearly and unequivocally concludes, - to put it bluntly, - that legalising cannabis for recreational use would be the kind of policy only a moron would ever endorse.

Happy reading...

Regards

Dachshund
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dachshund wrote: May 18th, 2018, 10:20 am
Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 2:55 am Somehow we are not dead. Could it be that your men in the Murdoch media and at Fox exaggerate relatively small issues enormously, if they are kind of scary and sexy like d-r-u-g-s, so as to sell copy?
Dear Greta, LuckyR

Here is a relatively succinct argument for the eradication of cannabis...

All you need to do is google the terms: " A Case for the Eradication of Cannabis The Bow Group David Sergeant " to bring it up.

The facts this document presents are drawn not from the Murdock press my dear, but from the veritable mountain of hard, reputable, high-quality scientific evidence that has already been published to date in a range of high-impact, professional, academic journals. A body of literature which , I can assure you,( silly, ill-informed woman that you are ),unanimously, clearly and unequivocally concludes, - to put it bluntly, - that legalising cannabis for recreational use would be the kind of policy only a moron would ever endorse.

Happy reading...

Regards

Dachshund
Funny, the tone of your post (not to mention it's pomposity) reminds me of the stuff that was peddled before we legalized physician assisted suicide. Surprise! The dire and scary predictions never came to pass. I'll check in in a couple of years and we'll see if the sky (as pertains to legalized MJ) actually fell.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes Lucky, we have now moved into Reefer Madness territory. Lock up your young, the stoners are coming!

So Dachs does not only tout for apartheid and the the withdrawal of women's suffrage. He recommends a society that is essentially a repressive, completely controlled conservative nightmare. White power. Women underfoot. All psyches clean, strong and unquestioning - ever closer to the Übermensch that he idealises.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:38 pm Yes Lucky, we have now moved into Reefer Madness territory. Lock up your young, the stoners are coming!

So Dachs does not only tout for apartheid and the the withdrawal of women's suffrage. He recommends a society that is essentially a repressive, completely controlled conservative nightmare. White power. Women underfoot. All psyches clean, strong and unquestioning - ever closer to the Übermensch that he idealises.
I think further away from homo superior. His ideas are dead beat relics of the past.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Greta wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:38 pm Yes Lucky, we have now moved into Reefer Madness territory. Lock up your young, the stoners are coming!

I think further away from homo superior. His ideas are dead beat relics of the past.
Now, now, keep it down and show the proper respect for seniors
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

LuckyR wrote: May 19th, 2018, 2:00 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Now, now, keep it down and show the proper respect for seniors
He appears young to me. It is simply that he has acquired ossified ideologies.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm Yes Lucky, we have now moved into Reefer Madness territory. Lock up your young, the stoners are coming!
Oh very droll, Greta - highly amusing I must say; but that's you to a "T" isn't it, the ever- so -clever,sophisticated, progressive, liberal intellectual. You love nothing better than to proudly flaunt your "rapier wit" in the same way a female peacock makes a public spectacle of her plumage. You're convinced that- "Yah" - it's definitely hip to be a member the pretentious leftist intelligencia - to be one of the "Guardian-reading" political cognoscenti", a free-thinker who passionately condemns the moribund status quo, and despises the primitive Conservative "square bears" who defend it. After all, they're just a bunch of dumb, unenlightened dinosaurs and nasty reactionaries, right (?); they don't have a high IQ like you do, they lack the kind of superior rational faculties that you possess. If there were more smart, intellectually liberated people like you running the State, we would then have the kind of high-powered creative nous - the kind of radical "Sapere Aude !" attitude - that's needed in the corridors of power if we are ever to have a chance of implementing the kind of bold, new, innovative policies of change that will be required to tackle the major social, political and moral problems of that beset the West today!

There's only one little problem with the doctrine of progressive liberalism, Greta, and that is that it failed and it did so quite a long time ago. Modern-era liberals like yourself (i.e. progressive intellectuals sympathetic to the core tenets of modern philosophical liberalism) look out at the big problems that confront the West today (or were created by the West): the rapacious destruction of the natural environment for profit, pollution, the potentially apocalytic threat of global climate change, the rising prevalence of clinically diagnosed psychiatric conditions especially severe depressive mood disorders and anxiety disorders in the general population), four decades of dominance by the grossly iniquitous, socially - divisive ideology of neo-liberalism across the Western world, racial conflict and the rise of extremist neo-nazi and neo-fascist political groups on the far political right and so on. They look at these crises and reflexly point the finger of blame at the machinations of a wicked "Conservative political establishment" . What they don't realise is that the big problems the West is struggling with today are not the result of the march of traditional Conservatism (as I have defined it) in Western politics in the modern era. Rather, if we do a little detective work, we find that the root cause of our current ills hasits origin in the era of Enlightenment rationality. More particularly, It was the European Enlightenment project that triggered the French Revolution of 1789, and the subsequent unleashing of the forces of liberalism ( i.e. what we term today progressive philosophical liberalism, with its emphasis on the absolute liberty and sovereign autonomy of the rational individual) and market culture.

People like yourself Greta are curious specimens; on the one hand they are- physically/biologically speaking - alive and kicking in the year 2018; on the other hand their brains/minds are still pure 18th century Enlightenment. You and your like-minded, pretentious "intellectual" compeers are, in a sense, forever "off with the pixies of yore " as it were, sipping hot chocolate and taking snuff with fashionable, polite society in Madam Geoffrin's salon in Paris in the year 1755; you are, in your own mind, still, in any uncanny (though very real and must say, rather spooky) sense, happily chattering away with Voltaire about politics, exchanging big ideas with the ghost of Rousseau to your left, waving to little Tom Paine across the room, congratulating the Marquis de Condorcet on his latest essay: - " Magnifique, Nicolas- tres magnifique !"...Do you understand what I mean ?

So I have to thank you for the comment you posted below, the monumental irony of your delusional ignorance actually made me laugh out loud, only briefly though, for the comedy, unfortunately, is pitch - black. You said that I (Dachshund) ...
LuckyR wrote: May 19th, 2018, 2:00 am recommends a society that is essentially a repressive, completely controlled conservative nightmare.
What you don't understand, Greta, is that the whole Enlightenment project failed and in consequence you now already live in a society that is a repressive, completely controlled, f**king nightmare (!); and the reason for this has nothing at all to do with the politics of traditional Conservatism that I endorse. What happened is that progressive liberalism failed. It failed because it was grounded on the principles of Enlightenment thinking, and Enlightenment reason - which promised to liberate man from tyranny and allow him to build a paradise of happiness and moral perfection on Earth -turned perversely on itself as the modern era advanced. First, it naturally (d)evolved into an objective scientific rationality and this gave birth to the "dark Satanic mills" of the English Industrial Revolution in the 19th century; then, in the 20th century it morphed into technological rationality, and this later godless force progressively took on a life of its own. As we speak, it holds sway in the West as the most powerful and tyrannical instrument of oppression, domination and enslavement that has ever blighted humanity.

To fully appreciate what I am saying you would need to properly understand the essential , fundamental spirit of the Enlightenment; you would need to comprehend its critical false premise - (the fatal proton pseudos) that both gave it birth in the 17th century ( basically through the work of four men, namely: Hobbes, Descartes, Bacon and Spinoza ) and at the same time signed its ultimate death warrant. If you like, I am happy to explain it all for you; and equally, how throughout modernity, the opposing voices of traditional Conservatism always warned in the most, strident, and urgent of terms that it was folly, that it must stop lest it all end in tears. But history shows how those pleas fell on deaf ears. Hitler and the Holocaust, Stalin, Mao, the Cold War, global climate change, the despitritualization and alienation of the modern human heart - the disenchantment and desecration of the consciousness of late Western man at the hands of unfettered corporate capitalism its greedy doctrine of materialist consumerism. Don't say you were not warned, Greta !

Today: the spectre of global climate change, the triumph of moral relativism, the wide-spread skepticism and the deathly stench of nihilism -( that paralysing, dreadful sense that human life is absurd; that it has no value, no ultimate worth, no purpose or meaning ) - which pervades the very air we breathe in the West today ; it is all a consequence of technological rationalism.

Don't blame me, I'm a traditional Conservative, and we always warned that the **** of Enlightenment rationality/ progressive liberalism would hit the fan one day, and when it did it would do make an unimaginable mess !

Regards

Dachshund
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund wrote: May 21st, 2018, 3:09 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 18th, 2018, 6:47 pm Yes Lucky, we have now moved into Reefer Madness territory. Lock up your young, the stoners are coming!
Oh very droll, Greta - highly amusing I must say; but that's you to a "T" isn't it, the ever- so -clever,sophisticated, progressive, liberal intellectual. You love nothing better than to proudly flaunt your "rapier wit" in the same way a female peacock makes a public spectacle of her plumage.

[etc etc etc ... the most long winded ad hominem attack ever mounted on an internet forum?]
:lol: If you want to imagine that I'm exciting and exotic member of some elitist intellectual club so you can pretend to your Breitbart buddies that you have crossed swords with a Serious Contender, be my guest.

I'll give you a tip - the serious intellectuals tend to be busy doing serious intellectual things rather than haunting philosophy forums. I'm a reclusive old dog lady nobody hailing from the conservative burbs who did many and varied jobs before wasting her retirement on this BS.

However, as one who enjoys analysis - I can clearly see your manipulative nonsense for what it is and call it as such. The fun thing is that you engaged in this enormous, creative but entirely transparent smokescreen to cover for the fact that you have no argument of substance on the topic.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta, I have nothing against you. I like reading your posts; you are endearingly eccentric...often interesting and sometimes very funny (that was a compliment, BTW) .I apologise if you interpreted my comments as being disrespectful. I was merely trying to help you - and sometimes "shock therapy" is indicated. I had to throw some cold water in your face to bring you to your senses. It was because, sometimes ,one needs, as they say, to be cruel to be kind...

I am, just like you, a nothing in the grand scheme of things; that is, I am nothing but a mere human being who will never understand the enormity of higher transcendent order in which he is but a tiny component. That this order exists is self-evident. Just walk outside right now, look up into the night sky, spend a minute quietly contemplating the boundlessness of what you stand before and you will know exactly what I mean. I know that I will never be able to comprehend with my feeble human reason the terrifying scale of the power of that which ordained this higher order; that which set in place the sublime majesty and ineffable, awesome beauty of the infinite night sky.This, however, is not a cause for despair, and it is - "to cut to the chase" - the main reason why I became a traditional Conservative (insofar as my attitude towards human political affairs is concerned).

Finally, I did say that I would explain my position in more detail for you if you wished, and that was a GENUINE gesture of good will on my part. So my conscience is clear.

Regards

Dachshund

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream