Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

You should probably explain your definition then. No?
heeltap

Post by heeltap »

My answer is no, computers don't have consciousness as Searle has argued. But if somehow someday computers become self-replicating and they develop the ability to lie to each other and to kill each other for sport, then I might be persuaded to change my mind.
synapticattack

Post by synapticattack »

if people are "conscious" so are plants, other animals, a lot of people think consciousness is being able to think, our thinking nature is just that, it's just different, not necessarily better or clearer or more advanced, it's just how we operate
consciousness, for a lot of people, is free will, and in that absurd idea, it's the ability to choose and see our decisions being carried out
but blah blah blah, i think i'm rambling
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

synapticattack wrote:if people are "conscious" so are plants, other animals, a lot of people think consciousness is being able to think, our thinking nature is just that, it's just different, not necessarily better or clearer or more advanced, it's just how we operate
consciousness, for a lot of people, is free will, and in that absurd idea, it's the ability to choose and see our decisions being carried out
but blah blah blah, i think i'm rambling
Rambling.

More importantly, making wild and unsupported statements.
synapticattack

Post by synapticattack »

unsupported statements?
all statements are unsupported, all "fact" and "proof" are assumptions people have made, and people agree, in essence, they're nothing
every statement is based on theory and taboo
complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

To get back on topic, I see no reason why we couldn't one day build a computer that could be conscious. We just don't have the technology yet to build something as complex as the human brain. One day we will, though. The human brain is just a machine, but it was made organically through evolution. With enough technology, man can make machines just as advanced.
jayneinphilly

Post by jayneinphilly »

Computers are made by humans, or by other computers than at some point were made by humans. We can imput feelings into our computers and they can seem as if they read our minds. Of course, it's because a human programmed them to do so. I think computers do not breath, therefore they have no soul. A conscious seems possible if they are programmed to behave like a human.
strike

hey

Post by strike »

only a life form can have consciousness because consciousness influences will,and only life can use free will , an object does not have free will, in order to give a computer free will you have to give it life and then it kills the definition of a computer

definition of a computer

Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.
Samhains

Subject

Post by Samhains »

thats actually two questions..I think it can have free thought Like an AI. it is enevitable that we will develope AI to such a dregree it mimics human behaviour patters well.

But this does not constitute for a soul. So no to the second question.
Thoughtless

Post by Thoughtless »

Wow. When AI is finally created, there's not going to be a holocaust of humans perpetrated by machines, a la Terminator, The Matrix, or Battlestar Galactica. There's going to be a holocaust of AIs perpetrated by human bigots...
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

I think it already is conscious because the materials it is made of are conscious (atoms ). The way I see it, everything in the universe knows that it exists and that other things exist around it. Think about this:

1. Human beings are conscious
2. What makes us conscious is our brain
3. What makes us conscious is our thoughts, which basically reside in the brain
4. Our thoughts are held in neurons
5. Neurons are living ( they are cells, cells are living biological units)
6. Neurons are made of atoms
7. If the neurons are made of atoms and the neurons are alive, then I believe that it is because all of the neuron's atoms are alive as well.

That's basically my opinion

p.s. I'm a very instinctual, intuitive, new age thinker
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

anarchyisbliss wrote:I think it already is conscious because the materials it is made of are conscious (atoms ). The way I see it, everything in the universe knows that it exists and that other things exist around it. Think about this:

1. Human beings are conscious
2. What makes us conscious is our brain
3. What makes us conscious is our thoughts, which basically reside in the brain
5. Neurons are living ( they are cells, cells are living biological units)
6. Neurons are made of atoms
7. If the neurons are made of atoms and the neurons are alive, then I believe that it is because all of the neuron's atoms are alive as well.

That's basically my opinion

p.s. I'm a very instinctual, intuitive, new age thinker
Q1? What consistes of consciousness, as to say that a human is such, one would have to understand what consciousness is.

NOTE:
Most people walk around asleep, unaware. The Zen Master Buddha when asked what is he, if he is not an angel or a God, He said he was "Awake" There for one must be awakened to the true reality of the world befor one can say they are conscious.

Our thoughts are only HOUSED in the neron, the Thought is not the neron, nor is the wine the bottle..see. The Thought is actually a 'spark' or electricity in the brain, it travels along nerons from Cell to Cell..The Neron is not a cell, but a multi celled structure that connects the brain cells together, they are the pathways which thought travels down..
NOTE:
Under all the research done, there has never been found any 'person' or 'observer' in the brain. No one can find the person with in.
Nerons like braincells are made of atoms you are right, and an atom is basicly a necules that is serounded by a cloud of photons, photons that pop in and out of existand. the bubble they form is empty, as are they, the Neclus they rotate around also is basicly hollow and pops in and out of existence..so as you see the thought is not there, because Electricity is not made up of atoms, it runs through them, they like the nerons are nothing but the pathway for the thought, which in turn is nothing, is not even there, like the non existance observer in the mind.
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

Thoughtless wrote:Wow. When AI is finally created, there's not going to be a holocaust of humans perpetrated by machines, a la Terminator, The Matrix, or Battlestar Galactica. There's going to be a holocaust of AIs perpetrated by human bigots...
Not only will the AI be full of bigitry, but it will be full of "Religious over tones" as in what ever you religion or cultural background has molded you into is what you will mold the AI into..

SO I'm hoping for A Sexy Jap Robot to replace woman. they can all be lesbians for all I care..get their babys from sperm banks from drunks and crackheads who needed the money. A Robot with AI can be told and tought to do anything -WOW I just Solved Domestic Violance !!!
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Q1? What consists of consciousness, as to say that a human is such, one would have to understand what consciousness is.
When I say consciousness I refer to the state we are currently in, even if that means we are not expressly conscious. I mean what we perceive to be conscious.
The Thought is actually a 'spark' or electricity in the brain, it travels along nerons from Cell to Cell..The Neron is not a cell, but a multi celled structure that connects the brain cells together, they are the pathways which thought travels down..
A neuron actually is a cell, it is a brain cell, it has one nucleus, ribosome, etc. Check a biology book if you don't believe me.

Our thoughts are only HOUSED in the neuron, the Thought is not the neuron, nor is the wine the bottle..see.

This was my fourth statement, I already know that thoughts are held in the neuron, maybe you misread....
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

anarchyisbliss wrote:
Q1? What consists of consciousness, as to say that a human is such, one would have to understand what consciousness is.
When I say consciousness I refer to the state we are currently in, even if that means we are not expressly conscious. I mean what we perceive to be conscious.
The Thought is actually a 'spark' or electricity in the brain, it travels along nerons from Cell to Cell..The Neron is not a cell, but a multi celled structure that connects the brain cells together, they are the pathways which thought travels down..
A neuron actually is a cell, it is a brain cell, it has one nucleus, ribosome, etc. Check a biology book if you don't believe me.

Our thoughts are only HOUSED in the neuron, the Thought is not the neuron, nor is the wine the bottle..see.

This was my fourth statement, I already know that thoughts are held in the neuron, maybe you misread....
To be more clear on what I ment is thus:

Neurons (IPA: /njˈɒɹɒns/, also known as neurones and nerve cells) are electrically excitable cells in the nervous system that process and transmit information. Neurons are the core components of the brain, and spinal cord in vertebrates and ventral nerve cord in invertebrates, and peripheral nerves.

Neurons communicate via chemical and electrical synapses, in a process known as synaptic transmission. The fundamental process that triggers synaptic transmission is the action potential, a propagating electrical signal that is generated by exploiting the electrically excitable membrane of the neuron. This is also known as a wave of depolarization.

See The Neurons are not the brain cell but part of it. It is a Multi Celled strand of brain nerve that extends the length of the spinal cord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron
Thought, In the form of an electric spark travels down these nurons to the brain cells...see I know what Iam talking about.. :) I did look it up first

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron
"there is no use looking in the box if you do not have the key.
The box is empty and never locked, yet all is in it."

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream