Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Belindi

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Belindi »

Eduk , irresponsible journalism causes alarm and despondency where its not justified by facts.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Eduk , irresponsible journalism causes alarm and despondency where its not justified by facts.
I agree. What has that got to do with democracy. We have free speech. You are free to lie as much as you wish (within the law). As is the press. What is the alternative?
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Eduk wrote: September 4th, 2018, 11:13 am No intention of answering for Thomas. But there is no law stating that the Daily Mail must be read?
There is no law mandating the reading of Mein Kampf either. But in a state where all you have to read is Mein Kampf then we have a problem.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I have no idea what point you are trying to make Thomas? Neither Mein Kampf nor the Daily Mail are all that there is available to read?
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Eduk wrote: September 4th, 2018, 11:40 am I have no idea what point you are trying to make Thomas? Neither Mein Kampf nor the Daily Mail are all that there is available to read?
That is exactly the point.

MSM is owned by a tiny minority of rich corporate interests and have no hope of representing the people. Aside from Newspapers the ITV is also in the hands of a oligarchy and the BBC has long lost the last vestiges of impartiality.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

How did you find out this information Thomas? Did you read it somewhere? Or are you an investigative journalist?
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Eduk wrote: September 4th, 2018, 6:08 pm How did you find out this information Thomas? Did you read it somewhere? Or are you an investigative journalist?
Did I find out that water goes down, or that **** stinks? Do I need to be a journalist to find that out?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Which is it Thomas. Either the free press are a huge threat to democracy or it is as easy to see their bias as it is to tell water goes down?
It's like you are saying cliffs are a huge threat to all life except for you who can obviously just see them because you are the only awake person.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: September 5th, 2018, 2:47 pm Which is it Thomas. Either the free press are a huge threat to democracy or it is as easy to see their bias as it is to tell water goes down?
It's like you are saying cliffs are a huge threat to all life except for you who can obviously just see them because you are the only awake person.
I think there are a couple of false dichotomies in here. Perhaps TH has them also, I haven't followed the whole thing, but I will respond just to what I see here.

Some thing can be easy to notice, for example, if someone can deal with cognitive dissonence. Or if one has had experiences that make one more skeptical of consensus expert or 'expert' opinion. So the ease is dependent on factors in the one noticing.

I had experiences when I was a child with a kind of authority, and expert authority with mainstream consensus support. I noticed that what at first seemed like an exceptional failure was a systematic one. This has made it easier for me to notice inconsistancies, absurdities, etc. in mainstream experts. Someone for whom it would be a current emotional shock to find out that expert consensus is or even might be wrong, is less likely to find it easy to notice.

Also, I am not sure he has asserted that he is the only awake person. IOW you may think it is everybody vs. TH, when in fact this is part of the ongoing constructed myth.

You and I may disagree, but the assumptions should not get hopped over regardless.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Cliffs are not an existential threat to humanity, as a whole, because they are well understood and easily seen and can be allowed for simply. Doesn't seem like a false dichotomy to me.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: September 5th, 2018, 7:13 pm Cliffs are not an existential threat to humanity, as a whole, because they are well understood and easily seen and can be allowed for simply. Doesn't seem like a false dichotomy to me.
I may not be getting the metaphor, but it seems to me something can be a threat if you don't notice it, but it can be easy to notice it if you are willing/can deal with what that entails.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

That's my point, Karpel, yes. Thomas is saying we live in a state in which only mein kampf is available to read.
Obviously that's a ridiculous statement as through the internet alone I can read almost everything ever written.
Obviously that's a ridiculous statement because even if you take one of the worst offending papers in the UK such as the daily mail it is a long long way from being mein kampf.
Obviously that is a ridiculous statement because if mein kampf were the only available thing to read anywhere then where would you have read criticism for mein kampf? Where would your sources reside?
Thomas said it was obvious that everything is mein kampf, as obvious as water running down. If that is the case then I fail to see the threat.
Everyone is biased. It's impossible not to be biased. The question is biased in which direction and to what extent. For example I am biased towards quality of life.
Also back to the original point. So what if newspaper X is biased. We allow free speech. This is a democracy. The owner of newspaper X is living in the same democracy. You can argue that the owner of newspaper X is a negative influence. You can argue they have undue influence. Personally I am slightly with Thomas in that the threat is obvious. But my conclusion therefore is that perhaps newspaper X only has the influence that it is granted.
I mean I would love to live in a world free from misinformation. But banning free speech is not, I think, a path to such a world.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: September 6th, 2018, 3:31 am
Sure, but I took that as hyperbole. And much of what I haven't quoted here that you mention.
Also back to the original point. So what if newspaper X is biased. We allow free speech. This is a democracy. The owner of newspaper X is living in the same democracy. You can argue that the owner of newspaper X is a negative influence. You can argue they have undue influence. Personally I am slightly with Thomas in that the threat is obvious. But my conclusion therefore is that perhaps newspaper X only has the influence that it is granted.
I mean I would love to live in a world free from misinformation. But banning free speech is not, I think, a path to such a world.
For me the problem is not that a rage of opinions and positions are unavailable that there is a massed center that tend to represent certain interests. So yes, you can find the left or righty journal or something online to criticie that massed center, but the massed center effectively marginalizes other ideas to the fringe. A la The Manufacturing of Consent, whch was written way in a time when there was much more diversity in the mainstream.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

For me the problem is not that a rage of opinions and positions are unavailable that there is a massed center that tend to represent certain interests. So yes, you can find the left or righty journal or something online to criticie that massed center, but the massed center effectively marginalizes other ideas to the fringe.
Can you provide me some examples?
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

It is never really talked about that the war in Syria is not a civil war but a proxy war. The US France and Britain wanted to destabilize Syria for a number of reasons and sent either directly or via Saudia Arabia or Turkey weopons and other support to groups that included what became ISIS. They did this even when warned by parts of their intelligence communities that they likely would create something like ISIS and that it would grow. The West is not just standing on the sidelines, helping refugees, and calling for Asad to be moral, but in fact created a civil war with pretty aweful consequences for the country and destabilized relations with Russia to an extreme degree. Then there's the chemical weapons Assad claims. We hear about the claims, but we do not hear how they never manage to get confirmed. And in fact, Hersh, I think it was found solid evidence that the rebels used chem weapons right as Obama was making ground troops noises.

So the whole refugee crisis, right wing populist politicians on the rise, Russia as bad guy in Syria - Russia was the first one to actually go after ISIS like a country with a modern military can - is in a false context. It is not simply happening, it is something that was set in motion because Neo-cons have wanted to get into Syria - they've gottne in a bunch of other places already in accordance with their project for a new century blueprints. None of this means Assad is a good guy or Putin either.

But it is a context that shifts all the debates about the influx of refugees and then the Syria situation itself. And yes, you can confirm most of this in mainstream sources where it is however mentioned very passingly and in the finer print.

There should be huge calls for criticism of Western policies in destabilizing Syria. In fact, the knowledge that this refugee crisis is Western created can actually unify right and left activists and organizations, rather than having them split around populists and lefty anti-populists.

But this is overwhelmed by news that contextualizes the crisis there in other ways.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream