Philosophical Zombies

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

the question is how do we know that other people aren't just mindless zombies? Well if we were mindless zombies but we saw ourselves as conscious beings wouldn't the definition of consciousness mean someone who acts like a mindless zombie?
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Simian

Post by Simian »

Actually, I remember reading about a philosopher who thought just that. I can't provide a decent reference or even remember his name but he thought something along these lines:

(1) An individual who was conscious would be indistinguishable from one who mistakenly believed he was conscious, even to the individual himself.
(2) Consciousness is unexplained and perhaps unexplainable. False beliefs have been studied in detail and are easier to explain.
(3) Since it is easier to explain the person's behaviour in terms of the mistaken belief that he is conscious, this is the more likely scenario.

So perhaps zombiism is the answer. I don't think so but it's an interesting argument.
luciditee

Post by luciditee »

At present, I do not feel that any living being can be classed as a zombie. I would say that there is even some form of interiority to bacteria, or other single celled organisms. I lean towards consciousness and life as being inseparable, involving a base level of unvarying pure awareness being shared by all lifeforms, but with a progressive and diverse experience, and functioning, in relation to this consciousness corresponding to evolved characteristics.
live unlimited, love regardless! :D
Baekho

Re: Philosophical Zombies

Post by Baekho »

cynicallyinsane wrote:How do we know that other people are actually conscious? How do we know that they aren't just mindless zombies who behave like they are conscious?
We infer that they are from our own experience as conscious beings that they are also conscious. Yes, there is no way to "prove" that, but Pyrrhonism is an inherently unpractical way of going through the world. If we can't trust our own experience, we can't trust anything, and all discourse becomes impossible. Personally, I'd like to continue this and other conversations so I'm perfectly comfortable accepting your consciousness. ;)

The question of "zombies" is one of the key questions in the entrenched "mind-body debate". Some philosophers, like Daniel Dennet, deny that the idea of the zombie is coherent at all. According to strong physicalists, mind is basically reducible to matter. Therefore a zombie whose physicality matached that of a conscious human being would be, in point of fact, conscious.

Non-physicalists, however, or those who feel that mind is not simply reducible to physical states, claim that the very possibility of the zombie scenario proves that mind can't be reducible to matter.

This is closely related to the question of whether a machine could think (and how would we know, anyway?). Searle's "Chinese Room" experiment is basically arguing that a system can give the appearance of thought without actually thinking---essentially such a computer is just a "zombie" and not conscious.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

As a physicalist, I think the "mindless zombie" question is probably the best argument against dualism.

For a physicalist, the fact that other beings are conscious is physically verifiable because consciousness considered to be a physical phenomenon. I believe that I know other people are conscious in the same way I know that my computer computes.

The fact that a philosophical zombie would be the same in all observable respects as a mindful person is why I believe mindfulness is physical. And that explains away philosophical zombies because if a so-called "zombie" has all the physical characteristics of mindfulness than it truly mindful.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
tez

zombies

Post by tez »

ive read the postings on this interesting subject, but found the quality to be, at best, infantile. profound questions dealt with in an off the cuff comic book fashion. this kind of discussion reqires an iq that you can only dream of.
tez

zombies

Post by tez »

zombies are not mindless. the zombie mind allows it to fuction in such a way that its actions are indistinguishable from the actions of any human being. the idea is that there minds are pre -programmed. they are able exist without thinking. they simply respond to any stimulus according to a comprehensive set of rules conditions.
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

tez wrote:this kind of discussion reqires an iq that you can only dream of.
And yet you're the one who's posting entirely in lowercase.
tez wrote:ive read the postings on this interesting subject, but found the quality to be, at best, infantile.
If you don't like it go to another forum. Calling people infantile isn't contributing anything.
tez

philosophical zombies

Post by tez »

because zombie minds are pre -programmed, they are able function without thinking. they simply respond to any stimulus according to a comprehensive set of rules and conditions in their data store. zombie personalities cover the whole spectrum of personality. what they do or say will not give away the fact that they are zombies
there is, however, an inate weakness in the zombie programming, because of its mechanical format. this enables us to test whether an entity is zombie, or concious.
take a particular case like colour. we know that colour allows us to more easily identify and position objects in our field of vision. a conscious entity knows that colours are colours, and how to use colours to understand the visual world more easily. a zombie does not have this background information. if a zombie is asked a question such as, what is your favourite colour?, its data base will provide an answer from a list of colours and it will give an immediate reply. it cannot think that colours are colours and that it would be nonsense to favour one over another. the zombie will have given himself away without realising it.
anarchyisbliss

Re: philosophical zombies

Post by anarchyisbliss »

tez wrote:because zombie minds are pre -programmed, they are able function without thinking. they simply respond to any stimulus according to a comprehensive set of rules and conditions in their data store. zombie personalities cover the whole spectrum of personality. what they do or say will not give away the fact that they are zombies
there is, however, an inate weakness in the zombie programming, because of its mechanical format. this enables us to test whether an entity is zombie, or concious.
take a particular case like colour. we know that colour allows us to more easily identify and position objects in our field of vision. a conscious entity knows that colours are colours, and how to use colours to understand the visual world more easily. a zombie does not have this background information. if a zombie is asked a question such as, what is your favourite colour?, its data base will provide an answer from a list of colours and it will give an immediate reply. it cannot think that colours are colours and that it would be nonsense to favour one over another. the zombie will have given himself away without realising it.
This thread is not about real zombies, it's about how we can tell whether or not we are conscious. Your posts are good but just slightly off topic. You're talking about the mind of a zombie whereas we are talking about how can we tell if something is a zombie, but thanks for your contribution to the definition of zombie :D
tez

Post by tez »

This thread is not about real zombies, it's about how we can tell whether or not we are conscious. Your posts are good but just slightly off topic. You're talking about the mind of a zombie whereas we are talking about how can we tell if something is a zombie, but thanks for your contribution to the definition of zombie
the concept of zombies is a made up thing. you cant have a real zombie. the zombies under discussion in this thread are a philosophical constuction. do you understand? probably not. i have made a clear demonstration of how you can tell if an apparently fellow being is a philosophical zombie. simply ask a friend what is their favourite colour. if they answer straight away with the name of a colour you can be certain that you are talking to a zombie. they wont believe it of course,they are programmed to consider themselves human.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

the zombies under discussion in this thread are a philosophical constuction. do you understand? probably not.
Actually , yes, and it might help your cause if you were less condescending. Just a suggestion.
TripleBla

Post by TripleBla »

I found a good way to test the conciousness of an individual.

A one on one Instant messaging conversation about faith. See how far you can crack' em open.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Not only do you not know that other people are conscious, you don't know that they exist except in your own mind.This is a question for epistemology i.e. the study of how we can know anything, or indeed if we can know anything.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Physicalist (at one time called 'materialist'), or idealist (sometimes, especially in the US,called immaterialist) is a choice of what you prefer to believe.Some people prefer to believe that reality is all made up by minds. Others like Scott(if I understand you correctly Scott) prefer to believe that reality is 'out there'i.e. not all in the mind.

Ultimately and by 'ultimately' I mean if you are entirely sceptical you don't know for sure which is the correct stance- the idealist stance or the physicalist stance.

The only philosopher I know of who makes both of these philosophical stances mutually compatible is Spinoza who claimed that mind and body are different and compatible aspects of reality The dual aspect theory of Spinoza, the idealist theory and the physicalist theory are all sometimes referred to as theories of existence

The theory of existence that the theistic religions depend on is the dualist theory which includes that there is both mind stuff and material stuff.NB the dualist theory is markedly different from the dual aspect theory, and has very different practical issues .

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream