Why do people murder?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
cynicallyinsane

Why do people murder?

Post by cynicallyinsane »

It seems everyone always agrees that murder is wrong. So, why do people do it? Why do people commit murder?
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

"Why do people commit murder?" -- not really a philosophical question. This is more to do with psychology; the only pertinent question for philosophers is why we ought or ought not murder.

The basic answer is: we ought not murder because we expect others not to do what they would not want done to them.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

I agree with you there. Murder is based on a psychological factor, and so philosophers don't really understand why people commit murder. Most murder is linked to a long term anger that no one can seem to diminish. Other murders may be caused by
psychosis and extreme paranoia.
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
cynicallyinsane

I guess you guys are right. Hmmm....
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

It's something psychologists can't even answer!
cynicallyinsane

MyshiningOne wrote:It's something psychologists can't even answer!
Some have explained some reasons why people murder. Like sociopaths.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

Those people can be quite scary!
Stoan

Post by Stoan »

For one, I think clarification of terminology is in order. To murder implies that someone was killed incorrectly, for instance rape is forcible sex. these terms have loaded meanings. Now to answer the question, "Why do people kill?" I'd say yes there are physiological factors (MRIs of the brains of serial killers for instance) and there are environmental factors at play as well. Hell sometimes people kill because they are in the wrong state of mind (drunk) or just happen to find a victim of opportunity. I would say narrow down the question to something like, "Is killing in the name of war wrong?"
DanteAzrael

Post by DanteAzrael »

Murder is the use of violent force in order to take away one's life (with it their right to life).

As for why people murder? To me, there is a psychological and philosophical answer.

Psychologically, you would have to look at how this person was developed, what kind of environment they are in, what their behavior is towards life in general, etc. Most murders are not pre-meditated murders, I believe. Most of them are murders of passion which involves a temporary break of rationality into complete and absurd irrationality. Pre-Meditated murders are done by those who obviously have never had an ounce or rationality, self-respect, self-esteem, ect. This ranges from just a single murder, to serial murders, to mass murders. There's always some self-esteem issue involved and some sort of inability to think properly (though they can come off as quite logical and intelligent). However, in serial killers and mass murderers there seems to always seem some sort of mental disorder (but not necessarily insanity). Nonetheless, most murderers who have done it pre-meditatedly have always had a self-esteem, self-respect issue that developed at a young age and continued onward. (You can see examples of that in some of the notorious serial killers.) I would say, then, it's probably a mixture is irrationality, self-esteem issues, and a mental disorder that always causes them to murder (minus the murderers who do it by passion, by brute force, or by stupidity).

The Philosophical issue comes to the front of their morality and their personal value system. The main issue is that they do not recognize neither for themselves and what they kill for isn't as much of a value as it is trying to give them a justufication to kill someone. Even this philosophical issue can lead people to the low self-esteem issues.

Of course, it is more of a psychological thing, philosophy does play a role.
When a man declares: "There are no blacks and whites [in morality]" he is making a psychological confession, and what he means is: "I am unwilling to be wholly good—and please don't regard me as wholly evil!" - Ayn Rand
selfless

Post by selfless »

There is no one reason why people commit murder. People kill people because they can. Pre-meditated and moments of intense passion are driven by the individual experience of the killer.
DanteAzrael

Post by DanteAzrael »

selfless wrote:There is no one reason why people commit murder. People kill people because they can. Pre-meditated and moments of intense passion are driven by the individual experience of the killer.
There are plenty of reasons why people commit murder...they will always tell you why...or that they're too clouded by emotion to know why. Either way, the action has a reason...though maybe a reason based on insanity or ect...Every action has a reason to it...Most murders are not just on whim though they may seem that way.
When a man declares: "There are no blacks and whites [in morality]" he is making a psychological confession, and what he means is: "I am unwilling to be wholly good—and please don't regard me as wholly evil!" - Ayn Rand
complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

Sometimes people value what they get out murdering someone more than they value the life of the person they murder. They think the benefits of murdering someone is worth the consequences.
anarchyisbliss

Re: Why do people murder?

Post by anarchyisbliss »

cynicallyinsane wrote:It seems everyone always agrees that murder is wrong. So, why do people do it? Why do people commit murder?
I don't think murder is wrong it's just inconvenient for people to die when they don't plan on it so they made laws to persecute the people who take other's lives. Also, hedonism, if you want to murder and like murdering you should be able to do it freely. Plus it's a biological program in all animals to kill those who are ahead of them or in their way, it's the law of competition.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Samhains

Post by Samhains »

anarchyisbliss wrote:
cynicallyinsane wrote:It seems everyone always agrees that murder is wrong. So, why do people do it? Why do people commit murder?
I don't think murder is wrong it's just inconvenient for people to die when they don't plan on it so they made laws to persecute the people who take other's lives. Also, hedonism, if you want to murder and like murdering you should be able to do it freely. Plus it's a biological program in all animals to kill those who are ahead of them or in their way, it's the law of competition.
I like your way of thinking, NOW if you could just put this jelly bean on your head I'm going to shoot it off.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Samhains wrote:
anarchyisbliss wrote: I don't think murder is wrong it's just inconvenient for people to die when they don't plan on it so they made laws to persecute the people who take other's lives. Also, hedonism, if you want to murder and like murdering you should be able to do it freely. Plus it's a biological program in all animals to kill those who are ahead of them or in their way, it's the law of competition.
I like your way of thinking, NOW if you could just put this jelly bean on your head I'm going to shoot it off.
Sarcasm noted, nice one
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream