The Public Toilet Theory

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Intuitiv3infid3l

The Public Toilet Theory

Post by Intuitiv3infid3l »

This is my theory on why the world is constantly in conflict. I believe the fact that public toilets are dirty is a strong metaphor for all evil, wrongdoing, injustice, and unfairness in the world. The day the majority of public toilets become clean is the day the inhabitants of the earth will achieve harmony and happiness.

Public toilets being dirty proves the fact that it is in their [humans] nature to purely act based on self-interest. They will do ANYTHING that will raise the level of their own well-being using their best judgment at the time of a decision. The overwhelming majority of people cannot be bothered to urinate inside the bowl, flush the toilet, or to throw the paper towel in the garbage. Everybody has the dexterity for such simple tasks, yet for such a MINUSCULE raise in self-interest, they are not completed. Such a LOW opportunity cost for a big reward (clean toilets for all) is not given up therefore the big reward is not achieved. This can be extended to portray human conflict around the globe. Such a LOW opportunity cost (not wanting to exploit other humans to have more land, material possessions, social status, food, etc...) is not given up therefore a world in which everybody lives in harmony and happiness is eluded.

There can only be 2 explanations for the sheer stupidity of the above-mentioned handling of these simple economic decisions.

1. Humans are making these incorrect choices; thus they are lacking in intelligence.
2. They want to choose the right option (give up the small opportunity cost), but cannot due to lack of power and influence.

If the first scenario is correct, that would mean we should limit individual freedom for the collective benefit of each and all. If the second scenario is correct, that would mean we should rise against the demonic forces that are robbing us of an otherwise easy attained, harmonious and happy life for each and all. If a mixture of both 1 and 2 is correct (which I believe it is), then we should combine the solutions. That is, rise against the demonic forces and put in place a force that limits the destructive power of certain unintelligent people. If you think about it, it actually makes more sense to let a 12 year old drive on a busy highway than let these individuals use their destructive powers... this is because the 12 year old might get in an accident and result in only a couple of deaths... but by having many of these destructive forces around there are much more deaths (I don't need to show stats on how many people die daily around the globe due to these destructive individuals). So by not agreeing with me, that means you are factually saying that it is better to let a 12 year old drive on a busy highway.
Last edited by Intuitiv3infid3l on October 2nd, 2010, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

:lol: I agree, hehe or is this a serious debate? :oops:
Intuitiv3infid3l

Eveready wrote::lol: I agree, hehe or is this a serious debate? :oops:
It is a serious debate because the public toilet part is simply a metaphor.
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

It is a serious debate because the public toilet part is simply a metaphor
Metaphor for what? Humanity in general? politics in general? 12 year olds driving on highways? Sorry but what you wrote isn`t indicating specifically anything you want to get across to me? ie.the world is in conflict because?
Intuitiv3infid3l

Eveready wrote:
It is a serious debate because the public toilet part is simply a metaphor
Metaphor for what? Humanity in general? politics in general? 12 year olds driving on highways? Sorry but what you wrote isn`t indicating specifically anything you want to get across to me? ie.the world is in conflict because?
Metaphor for any conflict in the world.
Wowbagger
Favorite Philosopher: Peter Singer _ David Pearce

Post by Wowbagger »

I didn't really understand the last paragraph, but the analogy is so true! It's a shame. But I don't think there's anything we can do to change it.
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

Metaphor for any conflict in the world.
ANY? Conflict has many reasons, mostly world conflict is over money. Society is run on it. I don`t think you can generalise conflict anymore than you can generalise harmony as just meaning ANY. The issue I have with your statement is are you saying you are everywhere? at once? if not, how can you claim to speak for ANY conflict?
Felix

Post by Felix »

The premises on which your argument is based are highly questionable, e.g., this one: "The overwhelming majority of people cannot be bothered to "urinate inside the bowl, flush the toilet, or to throw the paper towel in the garbage."

Where is your proof that the above statement is true? Perhaps only a very small minority of users of public toilets behave in this way. And then there is the question of how well those who have been hired to clean these facilities do their job. I mean, it's not exactly an enviable position, is it? I can guarantee that you will never hear the following conversation at a party, "Woah, you clean public toilets for a living?! That is SO awesome, man! That is the job I have ALWAYS wanted, but everytime I applied for it, I was told I was overqualified! Damn it, I wish I hadn't gone and gotten that college diploma, it has prevented me from getting my dream job!!"
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

I mean, it's not exactly an enviable position, is it? I can guarantee that you will never hear the following conversation at a party, "Woah, you clean public toilets for a living?! That is SO awesome, man! That is the job I have ALWAYS wanted, but everytime I applied for it, I was told I was overqualified! Damn it, I wish I hadn't gone and gotten that college diploma, it has prevented me from getting my dream job!!"
Felix you must stop making me laugh out loud, no carry on not only was that funny it is true is that fortunate or unfortunate :D
Unrealist42

Post by Unrealist42 »

Public toilets by their nature of being widely dispersed, are subject to use by a variety of people with differing states of imperative and their views on hygiene may be greatly influenced by this. Sloppy use of public toilets may be an indicator of great need than anything else.

In my view public toilets are a reflection of government. If the government cares about the people public toilets are common and are attended to, if not continuously, at least with enough regularity to keep them less than disgusting.

A jurisdiction that does not take care with its public toilets does not care for its people. It is a sure sign of corruption in politics.
美国g

Post by 美国g »

What an unusual and interesting topic! Perhaps this metaphor isn't so easy though.

For example, some people refuse to keep their house clean, let alone toilets. This isn't a sign of disrespect for other people, but just a lack of respect for humanity in general.

Those who do clean their house, normally might take care when using public toilets, but don't bother when the mess is already made. For example. I would never litter in America. In China, people leave their trash everywhere for the street cleaners to pick up. I still feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed doing it, but I occasionally throw my candy wrappers out the window now :shock:

On the contrary, I have read that humans only do what is best for themselves. For example, when a human helps another human. Is he or she helping to be helpful, or because it makes him feel better about him or herself?

When you walk into a room, are you thinking about how dumb that person looks, or wondering more about how you look?

I read somewhere that 80% of our thought is on ourselves, and the other 20 percent is sliced up into other things. This, to me, says that the bathrooms will never be clean because it has no immediate effect on ourselves.

But yes, the government should hire more bathroom cleaners to show they care hehe
Felix

Post by Felix »

Public toilets might be a good metaphor for politics, people do things there they would never do in their own home.

Some examples: Public Toilet: Write lewd statements on the wall; Politics: Write lewd statements on legal pads and call it legislation. Public Toilet: Piss on the floor and expect someone else to clean it up. Politics: Piss on our rights and expect us to pay them for it... etc., etc.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
美国g

Post by 美国g »

Felix wrote:Public toilets might be a good metaphor for politics, people do things there they would never do in their own home.

Some examples: Public Toilet: Write lewd statements on the wall; Politics: Write lewd statements on legal pads and call it legislation. Public Toilet: Piss on the floor and expect someone else to clean it up. Politics: Piss on our rights and expect us to pay them for it... etc., etc.
The difference is that we can vote who gets to use the bathroom in politics.
Please don't tell me I can't do it... It gets old -.-
Eveready
Banned

Post by Eveready »

PR China [is that short for your in public relations for China? :wink: ] That isn`t to say they won`t dirty the bathroom even though we gave it to them clean. The difference is politician`s will win our vote with premises and agendas that say they want is why we voted for them, then when they get in the bathroom and sit on the throned toilet they do what they do best, exactly the opposite of what they said they would be doing. As Felix said #*#2288** on you from a great height. Such is the whirl of political integrity in gaining votes, they want to be seen to be giving us a voice when all they do is push through their own new laws and new policy which had nothing to do with the voters choosing them.
美国g

Post by 美国g »

Eveready wrote:
PR China [is that short for your in public relations for China? :wink: ] That isn`t to say they won`t dirty the bathroom even though we gave it to them clean. The difference is politician`s will win our vote with premises and agendas that say they want is why we voted for them, then when they get in the bathroom and sit on the throned toilet they do what they do best, exactly the opposite of what they said they would be doing. As Felix said #*#2288** on you from a great height. Such is the whirl of political integrity in gaining votes, they want to be seen to be giving us a voice when all they do is push through their own new laws and new policy which had nothing to do with the voters choosing them.
China PR = China People's Republic

I think what you are saying is that democracy seems to be flawed in it's current state. No argument from me.

Perhaps we are getting off topic though as the OP was talking about the relation between the way a society treats their public restrooms, and the society's values in general.
Please don't tell me I can't do it... It gets old -.-

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream