If there can be one god, can there be more?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
philoreaderguy

If there can be one god, can there be more?

Post by philoreaderguy »

If there can be one god, can there be more? How can you know that there is only one god? It seems you can know that there can't be any gods, because it's impossible; or you can know that there can be (or is) at least one god. How can you specify the number of gods?
Bk2Kant

Post by Bk2Kant »

If we believe there is a God who created lesser beings (us) than I do not think it is unfair to believe that he could have created Gods (not as powerful as him) and sort of delegated responsabilities (something like the greek God system, God of Love, God of Sun and so on) I guess I'm saying there is a certain amount of plausabiity to the existance of multiple Gods especially if we except the theory that there is an ultmate God that created others (not quite as powerful) I dont know I'm just babbling I think.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

I never really thought about this idea before, but it is an interesting question. After all, rulers themselves usually have people under them to take care of the lesser responsibilities. Who knows?
We had to get that idea from somewhere. But, of
course, the gods may be described in terms of angels, messengers, etc...
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.
Johannes Climacus

Post by Johannes Climacus »

There was an alleged proof that showed polytheism lead to monotheism. I'll look into that.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

Johannes Climacus wrote:There was an alleged proof that showed polytheism lead to monotheism. I'll look into that.
That would make an interesting discussion.
I guess maybe it's because different branches of faith have a way of merging together into one larger branch of faith.
thestateimin

Post by thestateimin »

Of course there could be multiple gods/godesses. Look at Hinduism; they have millions of lesser gods and goddesses. The idea of monotheism is a rather contemporary idea.
captain_crunk

Re: If there can be one god, can there be more?

Post by captain_crunk »

philoreaderguy wrote:If there can be one god, can there be more? How can you know that there is only one god? It seems you can know that there can't be any gods, because it's impossible; or you can know that there can be (or is) at least one god. How can you specify the number of gods?
I never thought about this, really. That's probably just because of the fact that I myself only believe in one God, but I know some of my Indian (read: Hindu) friends from high school believe in multiple Gods. I'll have to ask them about that kind of thing sometime.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

captain_crunk wrote:
philoreaderguy wrote:If there can be one god, can there be more? How can you know that there is only one god? It seems you can know that there can't be any gods, because it's impossible; or you can know that there can be (or is) at least one god. How can you specify the number of gods?
I never thought about this, really. That's probably just because of the fact that I myself only believe in one God, but I know some of my Indian (read: Hindu) friends from high school believe in multiple Gods. I'll have to ask them about that kind of thing sometime.
Yeah it is interesting how different religions have
different numbers of gods. In Christianity there is
one god who the God everything, and in Greek
and Roman Mythology there were many gods who each
represented a part of life. The Vikings also had
many gods. Sometimes I've wondered why some
people had the desire to serve one god, while
others desired to serve many gods. Maybe many can be one. Maybe it's like a transcendent thing.
bellybuttonmonkeypoo

Post by bellybuttonmonkeypoo »

Your question is very interesting. If you think about it though there are very few religions that have one god even in christianity there is god jesus and the holly spirit three entities as one but they all serve differant purposes. No one can ever be sure how many gods there are just by being told that is something you have to find for your self because the answer is really imposible unless someone's seen them all
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

It's something to check into. It's an interesting way of looking at religion.
cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane »

bellybuttonmonkeypoo wrote:Your question is very interesting. If you think about it though there are very few religions that have one god even in christianity there is god jesus and the holly spirit three entities as one but they all serve differant purposes. No one can ever be sure how many gods there are just by being told that is something you have to find for your self because the answer is really imposible unless someone's seen them all
I guess you're right. We can't know how many gods there are.
cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane »

Oh yeah, plus if there's more than one god, he'd might want to trick us into thinking the others don't exist.
MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne »

Hahahaha! Well, if that were the case, then I probably wouldn't trust such a competitive being!
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

It's logically necessary to answer whether or not there is a god at all first, and as far as I know, this has never really been answered.

To make your question more sensible, you should ask yourself "How many gods does X religion believe in?" In which case the answer could vary greatly depending on the religion. In any case, no religion has ever proven, even if just beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence of a SINGLE god, much less two or more.

How many unicorns are there?
FilosofoMusicale

Post by FilosofoMusicale »

Hello! I am new to the boards and thought perhaps I could try and write some insight, not as to command the discussion, but as to view our enquirers in another direction.

I like where Arvy is going by proposing the following:
To make your question more sensible, you should ask yourself "How many gods does X religion believe in?"
However, even though I am religious, I think that perhaps we ought to try to establish / disestablish whether a god or gods exist outside of religion, or at least not use religion in establishing a deity's existence. Now, I know my argument may be biased towards a Christian viewpoint, but this is a point that I cannot escape, seeing that it is what I believe.

For me, perhaps the most effective argument for the existence of God is in the Cosmological Argument (taken from Aquinas). Although its origins is Christian, we can easily strip away the elements of Christianity into a completely causal argument. As I understand, it is as follows:

First, we must accept the Principle of Sufficient Reason: "For every fact there is a reason why it is so or why it is not so." Put into terms of causality, this means that every effect must have had a cause, either in itself or in another.

Every one action (a) must have a cause for that action. And prior to that action (a), there must have been another action (a1) resulting in the possibility of that action (a). If we follow a line of causality backwards, we either follow causality to infinity, which is impossible, for all nature must have had a starting point. Thus, it is sensible to think that there must have been some first cause that moved into effect everything that now exists. That first cause would be God.

Now, I am sure many heavily scientifically minded people would gawk at this assertion - as would atheistic peoples - but it is hard for me to comprehend why either people would give reality's origins as random chance; or refuse to explain its origin altogether (by asserting that the causal chain regresses to infinity).

However, if we find this argument unacceptable, we should at least try and find a reasonable argument for the existence of A GOD and what qualities A GOD may have before we delve into the possibility of sub-deities. One can surely appeal to religion and say "well, I believe in God," but as this is a philosophical forum, I think that would be quite an unsatisfying answer for most of us. If there are metaphysical beings, surely our reason can understand them somehow.

I look forward to the rest of this discussion.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream