Welcome to the Philosophy Forums! If you are not a member, please join the forums now. It's completely free! If you are a member, please log in.

Do you consider yourself a philosopher?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories. This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
  • Author

stormy phillips

Banned

( View: All / In topic )

Re: Do you consider yourself a philosopher?

Post Number:#91  PostJanuary 9th, 2012, 7:36 pm

I see philosophy best served in quotes, good quotes, ones that make you think like a philosopher ought to, rather than skim over and use either in defence or to jest with. All good sayings ought to be revered like ones good friend, spend some time with them and as you get to know them, you begin to see why. They are like doors, waiting to be opened by the master key, there are many keys, which one are you?
Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things.....Epictetus

Did you know?

• Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy an ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Julio_sanchez

Post Number:#92  PostJanuary 10th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Yes I and everyone with a half witted mind should believe that they can speek the some dimension of philosophy. Now don't get me wrong, there are many variations in which to speak and write philosophy that many people do not understand, but that does not mean that the simplest minded individual has some knowledge of philosophy they may just not use the same in depth writing as a individual who knows the theory and understanding of philosophy. I can vouch for myself that just about anyone can become a slight philosopher

There is much to understand about philosophy and it took me 29 years to understand that there is more to the world than me.

Invictus_88

Post Number:#93  PostJanuary 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm

stormy phillips wrote:I see philosophy best served in quotes, good quotes, ones that make you think like a philosopher ought to, rather than skim over and use either in defence or to jest with. All good sayings ought to be revered like ones good friend, spend some time with them and as you get to know them, you begin to see why. They are like doors, waiting to be opened by the master key, there are many keys, which one are you?

Sad sort of world if true. Wouldn't philosophy be 'best served' in lives well-lived, rather than in bons mots?

stormy phillips

Banned

Post Number:#94  PostJanuary 14th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Good quotes come from "lives well lived". I guess.

Invictus_88

Post Number:#95  PostJanuary 15th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Dunno about that. Whenever I've been living best I've had little time (or inclination) to compose quotes about it.

Archonthereasonable

Post Number:#96  PostJanuary 15th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Wisdom is not the subjective side. Wisdom is the science of applying ethical rules to certain situations. And you should never let your feelings guide your decisions. How you feel about something is determined by what you believe about something. And what you believe on something is either ideas that are assumed, or are rationally believed to be true.
So you shouldn't let your feelings guide your decisions. Rather, you should program your feelings to respond to things that are logically and morally abhorrent. Even then however, you should always only let your reason determined your actions, in case your emotions malfunction or respond wrong.
As to philosophy, anyone even thinks about philosophy is a philosopher technically.

SentientExExperiment

Post Number:#97  PostJanuary 16th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Philosophy is my life. I rather philosophise than eat, drink, answers nature's calls, or answer my shadow's calls.

The shadow is my metaphor for the darker intentions of my mind.

dparrott

Post Number:#98  PostFebruary 6th, 2012, 4:39 pm

I am not wise and I am not ignorant so I must be a philosopher.

stormy phillips

Banned

Post Number:#99  PostFebruary 6th, 2012, 7:41 pm

dparrott wrote:I am not wise and I am not ignorant so I must be a philosopher.

Must be....will do.

Dimebag

Post Number:#100  PostFebruary 6th, 2012, 8:59 pm

I like philosophy and like to discuss certain topics. Not sure if that makes me a philosopher or just someone who likes philosophy. I like music and I listen to it, but I don't make my own music, so I am not a musician. Nor do I make my own philosophy, however I do hop from opinion to opinion, sometimes treading ground which I am unaware of. If that makes me a philosopher then maybe I am, and maybe most people are.

Invictus_88

Post Number:#101  PostFebruary 8th, 2012, 8:04 am

SentientExExperiment wrote:Philosophy is my life. I rather philosophise than eat, drink, answers nature's calls, or answer my shadow's calls.

The shadow is my metaphor for the darker intentions of my mind.

How's that working out for you? I imagine you must be dead by now, but if you're not then I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on.

dparrott

Post Number:#102  PostFebruary 24th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Invictus_88 , I haven't seen you answer the forum question. Did you just join this one to pick on other people's answers?

HexHammer

Banned

Post Number:#103  PostFebruary 27th, 2012, 9:14 am

I consider myself a superior philosopher, as I use logic and reason, with a great knowledge and differ immensly from the common philosopher with a bit of neurology, psychology and physics.

It comes down to understanding the basic principles that most others are blatantly unaware of.

dparrott

Post Number:#104  PostFebruary 27th, 2012, 4:51 pm

dparrott wrote:Invictus_88 , I haven't seen you answer the forum question. Did you just join this one to pick on other people's answers?

You did it again.

Invictus_88

Post Number:#105  PostFebruary 27th, 2012, 4:53 pm

dparrott wrote:Invictus_88 , I haven't seen you answer the forum question. Did you just join this one to pick on other people's answers?

Indeed, because I didn't answer. The answer is no, though. I have no Ph.D and no philosophy distinctive enough to punch at that sort of level. I've also not put any philosophical tracts forward to be published, let alone had any accepted.

I clearly did indeed join this one to pick holes in peoples' answers, so - in that limited sense - you could accuse me of philosophy...but I'd still reject it.

Edit: Slow down, eh? Give a person time to write!
PreviousNext

Return to General Philosophy