Is it OK to have sex with kids?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Xris

Re: Is it OK to have sex with kids?

Post by Xris »

Banjofrog wrote:Read 'The Trauma Myth' by Susan Clancy - most children enjoy doing sex, society makes them feel bad about it afterwards. If something is harmless there is no justification for its prohibition.
I am not sure what you are recommending, can you be more explicit?
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

Banjofrog wrote:And if not why not?

Most people agree that actions which harm others are wrong, but many actions are illegal which do not harm anyone and are known as victimless crimes. How can society justify criminalizing having sex with kids if it doesn't hurt anyone?

Many assume that a child will be 'traumatized' by having sex with an adult, however this is not true. Firstly ages of consent vary across the world (from 13 in Spain to 18 in California) - proof that there is no consensus on what the minimally acceptable age at which a person can engage in sex is. Secondly much of the 'trauma' (guilt, shame, victimization) felt by 'victims' is in fact caused by society, such as in the case of Africa's 'Witch Children', many of whom genuinely believe they are 'witches' - not because they are but because they have been told they are.

Suppose a child has consensual safe-sex with an adult in a society where this is permitted (and therefore not immoral/taboo etc). In what way would the child be harmed?
Children invariably lack the knowledge and awareness sufficient to meaningfully consent to sex.

Unless you have a compelling response, it really is that simple.

-- Updated Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm to add the following --
Xris wrote:
Banjofrog wrote:Read 'The Trauma Myth' by Susan Clancy - most children enjoy doing sex, society makes them feel bad about it afterwards. If something is harmless there is no justification for its prohibition.
I am not sure what you are recommending, can you be more explicit?
Is "more explicit" really such a good idea here?

I think not.
dparrott

Post by dparrott »

Not ok find some one your own age or close to it.
Simon says...

Post by Simon says... »

Banjofrog wrote:And if not why not?

Most people agree that actions which harm others are wrong, but many actions are illegal which do not harm anyone and are known as victimless crimes. How can society justify criminalizing having sex with kids if it doesn't hurt anyone?

Many assume that a child will be 'traumatized' by having sex with an adult, however this is not true. Firstly ages of consent vary across the world (from 13 in Spain to 18 in California) - proof that there is no consensus on what the minimally acceptable age at which a person can engage in sex is. Secondly much of the 'trauma' (guilt, shame, victimization) felt by 'victims' is in fact caused by society, such as in the case of Africa's 'Witch Children', many of whom genuinely believe they are 'witches' - not because they are but because they have been told they are.

Suppose a child has consensual safe-sex with an adult in a society where this is permitted (and therefore not immoral/taboo etc). In what way would the child be harmed?
The short answer to this is that not even adults handle sex very well, so why on earth would you think children would?

No it is not ok to have sex with kids, and here is why.

Sexual ethics are really easy. Anything is completely fine and above board provided it is made with informed consent and does not kill or permanently damage an individual such that they may regret it later. This allows for an impressive array of sexual festishes which are acceptible. The only things I can name off the top of my head that are not acceptible are the following: Rape (Sex without that person's consent), Pedophilia (Sex with a child, who by definition lacks informed consent), Necrophilia (Any kind of sexual act involving deceased persons or the killing of a person), Beastiality (Sex with another species, who by definition lack informed consent---and also this isn't exactly good for your own sexual health either), Cannibalism (Though not necessarily involving the death of someone does otherwise permanently damage someone) and finally some of the more extreme forms of BDSM which involve permanently damaging people i.e. bone breaking, mutilation, immolation etc.

Even if a child lets you have sex with them, or even instigates it (yes this can happen), it is still wrong to have sex with them. To have sex with someone you need their informed consent. A child is not informed. They are not informed because knowledge of the biological processes and consequences of sex is not all that sex is, sex also has deep emotional significance, something which puperty takes years of hormonal development prepairing young people to handle, and even then it invariably goes horribly wrong. For example, how many people are actually happy with the manner in which they lost their virginity? How marriages and relationships are ruined because of sexual infidelity? How many teenagers, and even adults, spend hours every day worrying about whether or not they have failed at life just because their friends claim to have had more sex than them? How many accidental pregnancies and STDs are there because people were too caught up in the moment to think about the basics of contraception? You can't look at all this and seriously say that sex isn't a big deal, it clearly is, and given how well adults deal with it, do you really honestly think a child could handle that? Or more importantly would understand what they are getting themselves into?

Suffice to say they wouldn't have the faintest idea. Children arn't stupid, nobody is saying that they are, but they are not knowledgeable of these things (physically they arn't, they lack the hormonal development to think about sex the same way teenagers and adults do), and it is knowledge that is neccesary for informed consent, not intelligence.

-- Updated Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm to add the following --

p.s.

In response to your last question about safe-sex with an adult in a society where this is permitted, you've only to look at history to answer that question. In the middle ages for example, girls were married to husbands in their early teens or even younger. In ancient sparta, apprentices were taught the arts, combat skills, and sexual skills, all while they were young boys. None of this means it was a good idea. What was once normal has no bearing on what is right or wrong. These were not nice times to be around relative to modern civilisation. We modern people complain about our lives constantly, but when was the last time we had where half our body weight in chainmail in order to walk out the front door just because some nutter with a broadsword might want to come at us? None of these sexualised children of history has any idea what they were getting themselves into, in fact most of them never had any choice whatsoever.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

"If something is harmless there is no justification for its prohibition."

It may be harmless for two childeren of similar ages indulging in 'sex' but I have yet to see any authenticated evidence that an adult having sex with a child is anything but abuse.

I haven't read the Trauma Myth... does she give any scientific evidence or is it mostly anecdotal?
The difference between Truth and Falsity is not a question of volume.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Gareth wrote:"If something is harmless there is no justification for its prohibition."

It may be harmless for two childeren of similar ages indulging in 'sex' but I have yet to see any authenticated evidence that an adult having sex with a child is anything but abuse.

I haven't read the Trauma Myth... does she give any scientific evidence or is it mostly anecdotal?
I read a brief resume and it it appeared to me as a paedophiles book of excuses. She is has a history of upsetting those she writes about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Paedophiles are very good at portraying themselves as victims and blaming the true victim in these cases.

Most of them are quite devious enough to find all the excuses they need without the resort to a book so it seems that this 'Trauma Myth' is totally surplace to requirements.

On a broader note: I am generally in favour of exploring the limits of morality and the ethical basis for such morality but I do find this particular thread offends my sense of common decency and for that reason I shall take no further part. If you want a philosophical jusification; I site D. Hume and his sense of sympathy as grounds for morality.
The difference between Truth and Falsity is not a question of volume.
JacobAWyatt

Post by JacobAWyatt »

The visceral, and, ultimately, correct answer is: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

In terms of human interaction, something is ethically wrong if it involves doing something to that person, or to that person's property without their consent.

Having sex with someone who is too young to understand what is going on, or is not legally responsible for themselves, is, unequivically wrong. In all cases.
dparrott

Post by dparrott »

I in no way condone having sex with kids but I was wondering at what age does everyone else on this thread consider a person to no longer be a kid. I would say 17 but again don't get me wrong I will not be sleeping with any 17 year olds in the future.
Phrontistus
New Trial Member

Post by Phrontistus »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'OK'. If by 'OK', you mean 'not detrimental to society', then here are my views:

I think there are two main types of sex which harm society:

1. Rape. If all sex with children is tantamount to rape, then it's not OK. If some sex with children is distinct from rape, then that sex is OK as long as it's not deceitful sex (see 2).

2. Deceitful sex. This is any sex wherein one party was aware that the sex would be physically harmful to the other party, but withheld the information. So, if some sex is physically harmful to children, then that sex is not OK if the children aren't informed of the dangers beforehand. If they are informed, then it is OK as long as it's not rape (see 1).

In conclusion, I think 'sex with kids' encompasses too many different situations to simply be OK or not OK. I think, as with all other types of sex, it should be decided on a case-by-case basis. It is OK in some situations, and not OK in others. My list above acts as a rough guide to determining which those situations are.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

This question will only be asked by criminals - the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO!

Xris - Your posts #22 and #34 excellent - something we completely agree on!
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Phrontistus
New Trial Member

Post by Phrontistus »

Misty wrote:This question will only be asked by criminals - the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO!

Xris - Your posts #22 and #34 excellent - something we completely agree on!
That answer will only be provided by people who are afraid of questioning societal norms - the answer is ABSOLUTELY DETERMINED ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS!
JacobAWyatt

Post by JacobAWyatt »

dparrott wrote:I in no way condone having sex with kids but I was wondering at what age does everyone else on this thread consider a person to no longer be a kid. I would say 17 but again don't get me wrong I will not be sleeping with any 17 year olds in the future.
The law says 18. I dissagree both with the law and with you.

An individual does not cease to be a child until he/she is no longer a dependent. Thus, no person should be allowed to do anything without parental consent (including having sex) until that person is living on his/her own, out of his/her own pocket.

Incidentally, the same principle should apply to wards of the state; and anyone receiving welfare/financial assistance from the government should be considered to be a ward of the state.
Phrontistus
New Trial Member

Post by Phrontistus »

JacobAWyatt wrote:
dparrott wrote:I in no way condone having sex with kids but I was wondering at what age does everyone else on this thread consider a person to no longer be a kid. I would say 17 but again don't get me wrong I will not be sleeping with any 17 year olds in the future.
The law says 18. I dissagree both with the law and with you.

An individual does not cease to be a child until he/she is no longer a dependent. Thus, no person should be allowed to do anything without parental consent (including having sex) until that person is living on his/her own, out of his/her own pocket.
What if the parents are also children by your definition? Then they shouldn't be allowed to do anything?
JacobAWyatt

Post by JacobAWyatt »

Phrontistus wrote:
JacobAWyatt wrote: The law says 18. I dissagree both with the law and with you.

What if the parents are also children by your definition? Then they shouldn't be allowed to do anything?
If the parents fit this description, then they never should have had children to begin with.

If you cannot (or will not) support yourself, then you are not a fit specimen, and you should not reproduce until such time as you are capable of independently raising a child.

If you are in this condition, and you have a child, then it should be the case that your child becomes the de facto ward of your ward unless and until you achieve financial independence.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream