Would you have believed?

Please use this forum to discuss the July 2015 philosophy book of the month The Message? by Avam Hale.
Post Reply
User avatar
Scott
Site Admin
Posts: 4197
Joined: January 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic
Contact:

Would you have believed?

Post by Scott » July 25th, 2015, 11:39 am

[This is a discussion about the July 2015 philosophy book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.]

If you were a character in Hale's story, do you think you would have believed Leah or not?

I doubt I would believe her. As is stated by the professor in the book, revelation is the most credible evidence for the one experiencing the alleged revelation but is the weakest form of evidence for others.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

User avatar
Mark1955
Posts: 488
Joined: July 21st, 2015, 4:02 am
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume
Location: Nottingham, England.

Re: Would you have believed?

Post by Mark1955 » August 11th, 2015, 2:35 pm

No: I've always thought that if god were capable of putting a message in one mind it's probably capable of putting it in everyone's at once. Then we might disagree with it but we'd be a lot more likely to believe it was from god.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

User avatar
Misty
Contributor
Posts: 5933
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Would you have believed?

Post by Misty » August 22nd, 2015, 11:51 am

Mark1955 wrote:No: I've always thought that if god were capable of putting a message in one mind it's probably capable of putting it in everyone's at once. Then we might disagree with it but we'd be a lot more likely to believe it was from god.
If a parent tells each child that they have the exact same talent, would that enhance the parents honesty or would the children think less of the parents words?

Humans have the message of wonder, and they still disagree about where it comes from.

-- Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:17 pm --

An older movie called - PLEASANTVILLE - is a good teacher of diversity.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.

User avatar
Mark1955
Posts: 488
Joined: July 21st, 2015, 4:02 am
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume
Location: Nottingham, England.

Re: Would you have believed?

Post by Mark1955 » August 23rd, 2015, 5:50 am

Misty wrote:If a parent tells each child that they have the exact same talent, would that enhance the parents honesty or would the children think less of the parents words?

Humans have the message of wonder, and they still disagree about where it comes from.
I'm sort of looking for something a bit simpler than Montessori teaching to start with, maybe a simple reminder that "Thou shalt not Kill".

I'm not sure what you mean by the message of wonder so I don't know whether I'm arguing about it's source or not.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

User avatar
Misty
Contributor
Posts: 5933
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Would you have believed?

Post by Misty » August 23rd, 2015, 11:11 am

Mark1955 wrote:
Misty wrote:If a parent tells each child that they have the exact same talent, would that enhance the parents honesty or would the children think less of the parents words?

Humans have the message of wonder, and they still disagree about where it comes from.
I'm sort of looking for something a bit simpler than Montessori teaching to start with, maybe a simple reminder that "Thou shalt not Kill".

I'm not sure what you mean by the message of wonder so I don't know whether I'm arguing about it's source or not.
Humans have an innate sense of curiosity/wonder.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.

User avatar
Mark1955
Posts: 488
Joined: July 21st, 2015, 4:02 am
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume
Location: Nottingham, England.

Re: Would you have believed?

Post by Mark1955 » August 24th, 2015, 4:46 am

Misty wrote:Humans have an innate sense of curiosity/wonder.
OK understood.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

Post Reply