Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Steve3007 » August 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:From within the EU the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things including Gulf War 2 on garbage grounds and with France as a third partner destabilizing Syria which led to the crisis. What EU allows is for the Neo Cons to influence one big country and dissent amongst members gets stifled.
I don't see your point. If the UK has happily gone along with all sorts of things, no problem. The issue I was talking about is that the US ambassador has clearly stated what we already knew, that we should do whatever the Trump administration wants (regardless of how happy or unhappy it makes us), or else we go to the back of the trade queue/line. And that includes scrapping existing deals, such as the Iran Nuclear Deal, if the Trump administration tells us to. It makes all future deals meaningless because they can be arbitrarily, unilaterally changed or dumped at any time and we must agree to do so or face economic attack. Trump recognizes the simple fact of life that, ultimately, international law is dictated by how much economic and military power you have. The only way to fight back against that is to unite. That's what unions do. They unite.

Georgeanna

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Georgeanna » August 12th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 6:24 am
Me wrote:So perhaps all such votes should have a "try before you buy" principle? Just as our statutory consumer rights mean that we can return a product that we've bought if it turns out to be defective, perhaps that should also be true of political "products"?
On second thoughts, the trouble with political "products" is that it often takes years for the defects to become apparent. By that time we've already opened the packaging, inserted the batteries, thrown away all those little bits of twisty wire that held it to the packaging and generally voided the warranty. I think it's going to be very difficult to return the leaving of the EU in its original packaging so that the supplier can resell it to someone else.
Unfortunately, political parties and government are not held accountable to standards as set down in the Trades Description Act 1968 or the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

Poor decision, policy ? Tough. Even a Prime Minister can swan off leaving the electorate to deal with the fall out. This is not good enough. There has to be another way, but what ?

Perhaps something like this ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberative_referendum