hello philosophers..it's about freedom of expression

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
kordofany
Favorite Philosopher: Franz Kafka

hello philosophers..it's about freedom of expression

Post by kordofany » April 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

hi friends

first I'm sorry because English is not my native language but i need to know if you are agree with this wisdom in my culture or not?

When there are principles, there is no freedom of expression; no one accepts to destroy its principles.

and my question is:
Do we have the right to ethically evaluate the principles of others?
Do we have this power؟

Thank you for answering in advance

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: hello philosophers..it's about freedom of expression

Post by Eduk » April 10th, 2018, 4:15 am

Depends how you define right and ethics and power. Although to me having the power seems like a completely different conversation than if we have the right.
Short answer is yes though.

Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias » April 10th, 2018, 8:38 am

kordofany wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm
When there are principles, there is no freedom of expression; no one accepts to destroy its principles.
There is never absolute freedom of anything. Social situations always limit individual freedom.
Principles can be personal or communal or philosophical - each kind limits the freedom of some expression.
Yes. But which principles we have rights over depends on who "we" are and what our role is in the life of which "others".
A father has the right to evaluate the principles of a child: it's his role to teach the child principles that are consistent with those of his tribe. A teacher's role is to bring the principles of the young in line with those of his culture and nation. A cleric's role is to inculcate the principle of his faith in his congregants. A judge has the right to evaluate the principles upon which an accused person acted when he broke the law. A citizen has the right to compare the actions of public servants to the principles which they swore to uphold when they took office.
Do we have this power؟
The persons I mentioned above do have this power, each in a limited case.
A population in general has this power over it elected and appointed officials.

People who live in communal groups need to share their basic principles on which to base rules of conduct.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Namelesss

Post by Namelesss » April 10th, 2018, 7:30 pm

kordofany wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm
and my question is:
Do we have this power؟
It's called laws.
Laws are for those with no 'ethics'.

'Ethics' are;
"Do NOT do to 'others' what you don't want done to you!"
(Because you IS 'others'! All are Self!)