Mere Addition Paradox Resolved

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
ThomasHobbes

Re: Mere Addition Paradox Resolved

Post by ThomasHobbes » May 18th, 2018, 4:05 am

David Cooper wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 6:12 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm

You ain't getting it.
How do you put absolute numbers to something where you can't see the grain? It doesn't stop you measuring quantities of water without having to know how many molecules are present. Something in the brain may be able to see absolute values, but it doesn't pass that information on.
I've explained your apparent paradox. It's basically the same problem xeno had. If there is something more you would like me to explain, you'll have to engage with the explanation, rather than fight it.
Other wise we are just going round in circles.

David Cooper

Post by David Cooper » May 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

ThomasHobbes wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 4:05 am
I've explained your apparent paradox. It's basically the same problem xeno had. If there is something more you would like me to explain, you'll have to engage with the explanation, rather than fight it.
Other wise we are just going round in circles.
My paradox? The one which I resolved correctly and which you claim to have resolved by denying the application of numbers? The numbers do apply, so your approach is wrong. Take pain as an example. You could offer prisoners a choice about torture with different intensities and durations of pain and keep adjusting the amounts until 50% choose each option - at this point you have found a relationship between the amounts involved. If numbers didn't apply, you'd get 50% each way no matter how much you varied the intensities and durations. But you'll just go on denying reality and demand that I accept your wrong position, which is a pity, because it will doubtless render any discussion of Zeno equally pointless.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » May 18th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Please refer to the post I made earlier

David Cooper

Post by David Cooper » May 19th, 2018, 4:45 pm

ThomasHobbes wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 6:46 pm
Please refer to the post I made earlier
I can't find any added content that wasn't there before.