Creationism is the best philosophy

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Syamsu
Posts: 2569
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Syamsu » October 12th, 2018, 7:02 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:58 am
Syamsu wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:53 am
You people, and people in general, simply hate subjectivity. Hate the fragility of confidence based on emotion in expressing a subjective opinion, and prefer the feeling of factual certitude.
So, your confidence is fragile?
Anyone's confidence in judgement is fragile. It is why we have rules not to insult people on the forum.

Eduk
Posts: 1937
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Eduk » October 12th, 2018, 7:04 am

I can, why can't you?
I can't because a theory needs to be have explanatory power before it can be called a theory. Ideally it would be well substantiated with facts and offer predictive powers. These predictions can then, in a perfect world, be tested. As evidence of the power of theories I present biology and the subsequent radical lengthening of average life spans, not to mention massive increase in quality of life. For example see the Nobel prize winner in physiology or medicine.
You can't for the same reasons. It would be easy to prove me wrong using evidence, but you don't seem to understand what evidence means so what might be easy for me is probably near impossible for you.
Unknown means unknown.

Steve3007
Posts: 5397
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Steve3007 » October 12th, 2018, 7:06 am

As an alternative to "Creationism" I recommend "Recognition of the existence of Choice and its role in creating alternative possible futures"-ism. But it's not as succinct.

Syamsu
Posts: 2569
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Syamsu » October 12th, 2018, 7:07 am

Burning ghost wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 7:02 am
Eduk wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:52 am

No you can't.
You can if you can read past his misuse of common terms. He means nothing more than “causality” which is, ironically, the founding principle of evolutoinary biology yet he chooses to label this idea “Creationism”.

Syamsu -

Present a better OP and PM to me. I’ll post it, butnot with some nonsense title about “Creationism” because you’ll get absolutely nowhere fast trying to deny that a table is a table and/or calling a table a mango. I’m not taking the mick here, just trying my dam hardest to point out the confusion you’re causing by applying the term “Creationism” to what you’re saying - hence the spate of posts from others wrangling at you (that is evidence enough to give validity to my reasons for locking topic.

I just need you to take a step back, rethink the terminology you’re using, and then make a new post (I will lock this thread then and provide links between them - please PM me when you’ve made a new thread)

Note: if you post something with “Creationism” in the title I’ll simply delete the thread and remake it with a title of my choice.
That's just a lot of **** fascism. Cease and desist. If people misunderstand, then it is because they are too stupid to understand what it means to generalize a principle. You cannot give in to stupidity.

Syamsu
Posts: 2569
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Syamsu » October 12th, 2018, 7:08 am

Steve3007 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 7:06 am
As an alternative to "Creationism" I recommend "Recognition of the existence of Choice and its role in creating alternative possible futures"-ism. But it's not as succinct.
An alternative future is made the present. After telling you 300 times, you stil get it wrong.

Eduk
Posts: 1937
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Eduk » October 12th, 2018, 7:09 am

You can if you can read past his misuse of common terms. He means nothing more than “causality” which is, ironically, the founding principle of evolutoinary biology yet he chooses to label this idea “Creationism”.
Has Syamsu verified your definition? Because then his original chart needs causality in row one and three. Which is confusing, like saying 1 = 1 and 1 = 2.
Unknown means unknown.

Burning ghost
Posts: 2636
Joined: February 27th, 2016, 3:10 am

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Burning ghost » October 12th, 2018, 7:09 am

Syamsu wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:53 am
Steve3007 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:48 am


I admire your optimism, but the chance of that appears to me to be, essentially, zero. I am one of many posters who have, in the distant past, had long, long fruitless discussions with Syamsu. I've found that no matter what you say he will always just tell you the same standard line: that you are treating matters of opinion as matters of fact. I have discovered in the past that he will tell you that you're doing that even if you repeat his own words back to him in a slightly different form.

This is the great irony of Syamsu. He is, in terms of what he says and how he says it, one of the most deterministic posters on this site.
You people, and people in general, simply hate subjectivity. Hate the fragility of confidence based on emotion in expressing a subjective opinion, and prefer the feeling of factual certitude.
Many people here are fascinated by “subjectivity”. Anyway, I’ve said what needs to be said Syamsu. I hope you understand what I’m saying and make a new thread.

Again, feel free to PM me about this. I want to help not hinder. As you can see this has gone sour already and I’d rather it didn’t and people gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed in your absence that you’ve come up with a new way to express your thoughts.
AKA badgerjelly

Eduk
Posts: 1937
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Eduk » October 12th, 2018, 7:11 am

Oh is this whole thing simply about materialism saying there is no free will?
If that is the case then materialism does not say this. Some people say that it does, but those people are wrong to be certain of this.
Unknown means unknown.

Burning ghost
Posts: 2636
Joined: February 27th, 2016, 3:10 am

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Burning ghost » October 12th, 2018, 7:12 am

Syamsu -

Regardless. I am going to lock this thread now.

If you do make a new one then please PM and I’ll link to here so people can perhaps open themselves up to the idea that either they, or you, or both, have made an error of judgement.

If you don’t make a new thread then I’ll just do my best to sum up what I understand of your position and link to here and see what happens.

Thanks for your patience.
AKA badgerjelly

Burning ghost
Posts: 2636
Joined: February 27th, 2016, 3:10 am

Re: Creationism is the best philosophy

Post by Burning ghost » October 15th, 2018, 4:42 am

I’ve not had a direct reply from Syamsu about creating a new thread so I will be making one myself and will provide link soon.

Note: My interpretation of his views/ideas are more of a reflectoim of some of the interesting points I believe he is looking at. Do not take my position as his position more something of a group of questions to muse upon regarding ontology, teleology, heuristics, and epistemology. Hopefully I can provide Syamsu with some useful terminology - or at least open up something in the area of human creativity that we can discuss.

Heuristics and Human Creativity. Here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15870
AKA badgerjelly

Locked