Why is it so easy to dismiss the existence of gods?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belinda
Contributor

Post by Belinda » September 1st, 2009, 4:33 am

Medieval amd early modern spelling was not like ours.
But these events can be explained away. For example the red sea parting...
(Simon)

This is now taken to refer to the 'reed sea', and is , if I remember right, not about Israelites escaping from Egyptians, but about some other movement of the Israelites. It can be difficult though not miraculous for numbers of people with their belongings to navigate a marshy area.

True, the Bible says the escape was from the Egyptians. But Biblical writers tended to take the view, along with many other ancient historians, that history was for the purpose of improving the morale of a people. So they made the story more heroic than it would have been had a modern historian been telling the story.The enemy was not the Egyptians, but another tribe whose territory the Israelites had to pass through to get to the hill country where they wanted to settle.

kk23wong

Post by kk23wong » September 1st, 2009, 8:31 am

Belinda wrote:Medieval amd early modern spelling was not like ours.
But these events can be explained away. For example the red sea parting...
(Simon)

This is now taken to refer to the 'reed sea', and is , if I remember right, not about Israelites escaping from Egyptians, but about some other movement of the Israelites. It can be difficult though not miraculous for numbers of people with their belongings to navigate a marshy area.

True, the Bible says the escape was from the Egyptians. But Biblical writers tended to take the view, along with many other ancient historians, that history was for the purpose of improving the morale of a people. So they made the story more heroic than it would have been had a modern historian been telling the story.The enemy was not the Egyptians, but another tribe whose territory the Israelites had to pass through to get to the hill country where they wanted to settle.
I THINK the God did it in purpose to spread civilizations to an unsettled territory.

The Bible writers (or the Saints) have glorified the image of the God in purpose. I am not going to comment on these purposes because the Saints are the speakers of the God, but not me.

We do not have medieval historians, but we have medieval philosophers.

Teru Wong
--------------
Check out my academic portfolio by visiting the link as follow: http://sites.google.com/site/teru382

ape

Post by ape » September 1st, 2009, 10:59 am

Simon says... wrote: When you love someone you do whatever is necessary to save them. So the fact that god still isn't getting of his ass and coming to rescue me from my foolish desision means either he doesn't love me, or he doesn't exist!
(color and underline by ape)
Simon, that's a reflection on your upbringing & mine!
If those who brought us up really loved us, we wd already know that there is another great reason for not rescuing us nor helping us when we want help:
He or She wants us to----help---ourselves!:)
So in Love, even unhelpfulness is helpful!
Hmmmmmm
Which ties in with another point you made about us having to be independent by---helping---ourselves!
Simon says... wrote: ...so it is up to you to think and decipher which is wise and which is not wise. God doesn't do this for you! A parent should not limit a child's freedom by caring for them forever, because kids grow up. You! Need to grow up, you can't go through life clinging to "our father" forever, you need to think for yourself!
color by ape

So the ONLY remaining OPTION is: God DOES exist!:yes:

See how Love brings us full circle?!:)
No big thing really--since Love is a circle and makes a family circle and a circle of friends!:)

By the way, because God is Comp-ass-ionate, He has to sit on that part of his anatomy on which he sits more than he gets up off of it, which getting up wd make him more Com-upptionate!:lol: