What Is Reverse Psychology?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Post Reply
Stanley Huang
Posts: 526
Joined: April 7th, 2011, 9:52 am

What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Stanley Huang » September 25th, 2012, 6:46 am

What is reverse psychology?

I often feel human beings are strange animals, maybe like many other animals.

Just like when my mother kept on telling me not to eat too much rubbish foods or soft drinks, when mum said that, the more she told me to eat less, the more desire I have.

It is like you having a dog, now, you tell your dog, you say: “Do not be naughty. Do not bark.” But sometimes, maybe the more you tell your dog not to be naughty, the more naughty he becomes.

And my mother will use horrifying words to scare me, saying that you go to end up in the hospital if you eat too much junk food or soft drink, and in the beginning, I feel scared, but later on, I cannot control myself and I said to her: “I cannot help it. And perhaps, the more you tell me not to eat, the more desire I have.”

Perhaps, maybe if she does not want me to eat too much junk food, she should say it the opposite. Maybe she should say: “Oh, why don’t you eat more junk food. That is healthy for you.”

Is she says that, maybe I will eat less. This is reverse psychology.

Just like a married woman kept on telling her husband not to have an affair with another woman, the more restriction she wants to give to her husband, maybe the more desire that her husband wants to have an affair.

But if she says: “Oh, it is not bad thing to do to have an affair.”

Then, maybe the husband will love his wife a bit more.

So, maybe this is reverse psychology.

Don’t you think so?

Isn’t human strange animal, just like other animal?

So this is why I often feel that those people who harshly judge others, not only they are not stopping them, but maybe they are promoting it even further, whether is drugs, alcohol, sex or whatever, that I feel humans are strange animals.

Do you agree?

User avatar
MJM85
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: July 28th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by MJM85 » July 28th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Reverse psychology refers to getting another person to do or say something by telling them the opposite of what is desired. ... Stick to using reverse psychology on occasion only, and in non-serious situations.

Once u can master the above ,, youve got life by the balls all of a sudden everyone is on your side!

No money in the world can buy this gift,,

Reverse phycology,,,,has many angles you have to know how to use it too your advantage and be ready for any set backs , and most important is to able to win win when things go wrong .

Questions ???? Replys

Alias
Posts: 2331
Joined: November 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Alias » July 28th, 2018, 11:27 pm

MJM85 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 10:40 pm
Reverse psychology refers to getting another person to do or say something by telling them the opposite of what is desired.
.. .when they believe that's not what you desire and they want what you don't.
IOW - psychology

Burning ghost
Posts: 2455
Joined: February 27th, 2016, 3:10 am

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Burning ghost » September 14th, 2018, 2:51 am

Ygolohcysp?
AKA badgerjelly

Steve3007
Posts: 5095
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Steve3007 » September 14th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Reverse psychology relies on the perfectly natural and normal assumption that if an authority figure tells you to do something it's probably no fun. So do the opposite.
Burning ghost wrote:Ygolohcysp?
Yes, I had one, but the leg fell off.

User avatar
ThomasHobbes
Posts: 925
Joined: May 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by ThomasHobbes » September 14th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Burning ghost wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:51 am
Ygolohcysp?

! rewsna doog

User avatar
Greta
Site Admin
Posts: 7127
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Greta » September 14th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Stanley Huang wrote:
September 25th, 2012, 6:46 am
But if she says: “Oh, it is not bad thing to do to have an affair.”

Then, maybe the husband will love his wife a bit more.

So, maybe this is reverse psychology.

Don’t you think so?

Isn’t human strange animal, just like other animal?

So this is why I often feel that those people who harshly judge others, not only they are not stopping them, but maybe they are promoting it even further, whether is drugs, alcohol, sex or whatever, that I feel humans are strange animals.

Do you agree?
Many husbands would interpret that as permission for them to pursue affairs themselves. At best such a manipulation would more often just undermine trust.

Reverse psychology is a tool and, like any tool, there are optimal and suboptimal applications.

Humans and other animals are more similar than most people care to admit because we tend to not notice our own automatic behaviours. It's possible to behave in a highly automated way and yet feel deeply.

Harsh judgement tends to be either competitiveness or fear of the consequences (often of of norm transgression).

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 2979
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by LuckyR » September 15th, 2018, 2:07 am

Reverse psychology as described in the OP is the elementary school version of which the advanced degree is the art of making people feel bad by being nice to them.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
ThomasHobbes
Posts: 925
Joined: May 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by ThomasHobbes » Yesterday, 3:40 am

LuckyR wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 2:07 am
Reverse psychology as described in the OP is the elementary school version of which the advanced degree is the art of making people feel bad by being nice to them.
Not really.
It's taking a false and extreme stance to make another react in a way that you desire.

A parent wishing their child to NOT take drugs, pretends to take drugs themselves and tell their child that drugs are "really kewl man!!". The child wishing to take a different stance from their parent decides to never take drugs since it is "so 20th century".

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 2979
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by LuckyR » Today, 11:29 am

ThomasHobbes wrote:
Yesterday, 3:40 am
LuckyR wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 2:07 am
Reverse psychology as described in the OP is the elementary school version of which the advanced degree is the art of making people feel bad by being nice to them.
Not really.
It's taking a false and extreme stance to make another react in a way that you desire.

A parent wishing their child to NOT take drugs, pretends to take drugs themselves and tell their child that drugs are "really kewl man!!". The child wishing to take a different stance from their parent decides to never take drugs since it is "so 20th century".
Not really.
There is a reason that folks smoked dope in the 60's, snorted cocaine in the 80's, used Meth in the 00's, and narcotics currently. The rejection of parental drug use isn't to not use drugs, it is to use harder core drugs.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
ThomasHobbes
Posts: 925
Joined: May 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by ThomasHobbes » Today, 12:38 pm

LuckyR wrote:
Today, 11:29 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
Yesterday, 3:40 am


Not really.
It's taking a false and extreme stance to make another react in a way that you desire.

A parent wishing their child to NOT take drugs, pretends to take drugs themselves and tell their child that drugs are "really kewl man!!". The child wishing to take a different stance from their parent decides to never take drugs since it is "so 20th century".
Not really.
There is a reason that folks smoked dope in the 60's, snorted cocaine in the 80's, used Meth in the 00's, and narcotics currently. The rejection of parental drug use isn't to not use drugs, it is to use harder core drugs.
Maybe they did not use reverse psychology, or maybe it does not work?

I was not making a point about drug taking but giving an example of reverse psychology.

But since you brought it up I do not think people are taking more drugs now, nor are the drugs that are taken are any harder.

Karpel Tunnel
Posts: 397
Joined: February 16th, 2018, 11:28 am

Re: What Is Reverse Psychology?

Post by Karpel Tunnel » Today, 4:27 pm

LuckyR wrote:
Today, 11:29 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
Yesterday, 3:40 am


Not really.
It's taking a false and extreme stance to make another react in a way that you desire.

A parent wishing their child to NOT take drugs, pretends to take drugs themselves and tell their child that drugs are "really kewl man!!". The child wishing to take a different stance from their parent decides to never take drugs since it is "so 20th century".
Not really.
There is a reason that folks smoked dope in the 60's, snorted cocaine in the 80's, used Meth in the 00's, and narcotics currently. The rejection of parental drug use isn't to not use drugs, it is to use harder core drugs.
First of all you'd need to show that the later harder drugs were used by the children of people taking less hard ones. Meth for example tends to be used by a very different demographic than cocaine and the dope. But really reverse psychology does not work on everyone, but it can work on people who tend to rebel or do the opposite. And this certainly can work. It doesn't make sense to tell people to do things (that you don't want them to do) if they tend to listen and do what you tell them too.

Post Reply