What's the meaning of life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
LuckyR

Re: What's the meaning of life?

Post by LuckyR » March 6th, 2020, 2:02 pm

musicgold wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Hello all,

Here is what I think is the meaning of life. Please feel free to point errors/gaps in my thinking.

Humans along with the rest of life on Earth are nothing but the result of the chemical processes that began on Earth’s surface about 4 billion years ago. The products of this biochemical process (i.e. all living things we see around us) know only one thing: survive to replicate. All our raw desires (fornicate, survive) are distilled in us by this process.

The ape ancestors of humans caught a lucky break and potentially a mutation in their genes allowed them to evolve a better brain. This slightly better brain allows us to think and reflect. With the help of this advantage, humans united together and created societies, a society offered a relatively easier life than living alone (first tribes, then villages, and then civilizations). However to be allowed to live in a society, you have to be willing to follow its customs. A society chooses customs that would allow it to survive and thrive as a group. Here an individual’s preferences become secondary to those of the overall group. Living in such social setups, for about two million years, have also impacted our genetic makeup. That’s why we care about social customs and our social status (this is good, that is bad, pride, shame, guilt, suspicion, jealousy, etc.)

As a result, we are a sum total of our raw desires and the social pressures ingrained in us. The majority of humans, unaware of these two sets of rules controlling their lives, lead a life in this world. They come up with the meaning of their lives as a child looks at clouds in the sky and sees different shapes - some people take refuge in the idea of God or destiny and some people give credit to their hard work, etc.

So what do I think is the meaning of life? Firstly, I don’t think there is meaning to our lives. We are a momentary bubble in an infinite time and infinite space. After the bubble bursts, the atoms constituting our bodies will merge back with the rest of the universe, just like a rain drop merges with the sea. As simple as that. We should not try to add a divine will or any other meaning to that.

Then the next question comes, why or how should we lead our lives? Why not just end it now and avoid going through the miseries of life for a few more decades? I think that this is a fair question. And the reason I am not going to take that route is as follows: the atoms in my body have been part of the universe and will continue to part of the universe whether I am alive or not. My current life bubble is a lucky coincidence to enjoy this rare and special state in which I could think about and understand the universe. And I think that should be the object of everyone’s life: think about and understand the universe while you can and help your fellow human beings to enjoy it too.
A perfectly reasonable and thoughtful analysis of the question. Though the question is vague enough that different folks will address different facets of the issue depending on how they look at this Rorschach of a question.
"As usual... it depends."

fionaimmodest
New Trial Member

Post by fionaimmodest » March 25th, 2020, 2:38 am

Life is given by God and we live with a purpose.

creation

Post by creation » March 25th, 2020, 9:39 am

fionaimmodest wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 2:38 am
How does God give Life?

Who and/or what is 'we'?

And, what is this 'purpose' supposed to be that this 'we' lives with?

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 25th, 2020, 11:24 am

creation wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:39 am
fionaimmodest wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 2:38 am
How does God give Life?

Who and/or what is 'we'?

You seem to be asking a lot of a bumper sticker opinion...
"As usual... it depends."

creation

Post by creation » March 26th, 2020, 4:54 am

LuckyR wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:24 am
creation wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:39 am

How does God give Life?

Who and/or what is 'we'?

You seem to be asking a lot of a bumper sticker opinion...
What seems to you here is not what I am asking.

I am just asking very simply, open clarifying questions to see how the answers given, if any, match with my view on things here.