mind the mind

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Post Reply
User avatar
Waechter418
Posts: 25
Joined: July 19th, 2015, 7:43 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche
Location: Costa Rica
Contact:

mind the mind

Post by Waechter418 » September 13th, 2020, 2:04 pm

The way mind processes data reflects in its offspring, the computer.
However, the coordination capabilities of latter improve continuously, whereas mind seems to have problems handling the increase of external & internal, objective & subjective data.
More often than not, this is blamed on its hardware, i.e. the physiological aspects, yet rarely on the programs that coordinate the data, despite that many of them are obviously outdated, inefficient, hijacked by emotions and/or malwares which question the capabilities and sometimes even deny the functions of mind, thus impeding the possibility to repair & update its software.
But to alter something requires knowledge and understanding of its structures and dynamics – in this case of the mind.
Lamentably, the mind of Sapiens knows more about molecules and galaxies than about itself. Not because Self-knowledge is an impossible task – after all everyone spends a lifetime with/in his/her mind – but because of millennia of systematic self-denial and subjection to external, superior, eternal etc powers called god, fate and whatever else seems suitable to cover up a lack of Self-responsibility.
Admittedly, Self-response-ability can be a pain in the butt – yet it can also be a blessing, as it may entail the realisation that all (external/internal/subjective/objective) phenomenon are interrelated - and coordinated by/in the mind.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 4077
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: mind the mind

Post by Terrapin Station » September 14th, 2020, 11:11 am

Were you just wanting to get that off your chest, or?

User avatar
Waechter418
Posts: 25
Joined: July 19th, 2015, 7:43 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche
Location: Costa Rica
Contact:

Re: mind the mind

Post by Waechter418 » September 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 11:11 am
Were you just wanting to get that off your chest, or?
my mind is not in my chest :wink:

User avatar
Marvin_Edwards
Posts: 607
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm
Favorite Philosopher: William James
Contact:

Re: mind the mind

Post by Marvin_Edwards » September 14th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Waechter418 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:04 pm
The way mind processes data reflects in its offspring, the computer.
However, the coordination capabilities of latter improve continuously, whereas mind seems to have problems handling the increase of external & internal, objective & subjective data.
More often than not, this is blamed on its hardware, i.e. the physiological aspects, yet rarely on the programs that coordinate the data, despite that many of them are obviously outdated, inefficient, hijacked by emotions and/or malwares which question the capabilities and sometimes even deny the functions of mind, thus impeding the possibility to repair & update its software.
But to alter something requires knowledge and understanding of its structures and dynamics – in this case of the mind.
Lamentably, the mind of Sapiens knows more about molecules and galaxies than about itself. Not because Self-knowledge is an impossible task – after all everyone spends a lifetime with/in his/her mind – but because of millennia of systematic self-denial and subjection to external, superior, eternal etc powers called god, fate and whatever else seems suitable to cover up a lack of Self-responsibility.
Admittedly, Self-response-ability can be a pain in the butt – yet it can also be a blessing, as it may entail the realisation that all (external/internal/subjective/objective) phenomenon are interrelated - and coordinated by/in the mind.
I don't know that the problem is necessarily in the equipment. There are books on self-improvement of the mind out there, with techniques for memory improvement and strategies for doing math in ones head, etc.

Someone, possibly here, suggested a book by the Arbinger Institute called "The Anatomy of Peace: Getting to the Heart of Conflict". I've been reading it on my kindle that I keep by the potty. It's been very enlightening as to how we build boxes around ourselves to justify our choices. It's very good and I'd recommend it to anyone.

User avatar
Count Lucanor
Posts: 890
Joined: May 6th, 2017, 5:08 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco
Location: Panama
Contact:

Re: mind the mind

Post by Count Lucanor » September 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm

The computational theory of mind is obsolete.

User avatar
Waechter418
Posts: 25
Joined: July 19th, 2015, 7:43 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Nietzsche
Location: Costa Rica
Contact:

Re: mind the mind

Post by Waechter418 » September 14th, 2020, 11:18 pm

Count Lucanor wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm
The computational theory of mind is obsolete.
Oooyeahh!!!! :D

User avatar
Marvin_Edwards
Posts: 607
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm
Favorite Philosopher: William James
Contact:

Re: mind the mind

Post by Marvin_Edwards » September 15th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Count Lucanor wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm
The computational theory of mind is obsolete.
I'm not familiar with the "computational theory of mind". However, I know that, regardless of any theory, the mind does perform computations.

User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 1004
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: mind the mind

Post by Pattern-chaser » September 16th, 2020, 9:43 am

Waechter418 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:04 pm
The way mind processes data reflects in its offspring, the computer.
Did you know that we humans have a habit? We compare our brains with the most complicated bit of machinery we have invented so far. Apparently, we used to compare brains and minds with automated looms, when they were the Big Thing. The traditions has come down to us in the present day, when we habitually compare our brains and mind with computers. All of these comparisons are metaphors, used as we do, to foster understanding of something we don't currently understand (or brains and minds). IMO, all of these attempted metaphors have failed, as they don't tell us anything worthwhile about our brains or minds.

IMO, the way mind processes data does not resemble or reflect its offspring, the computer. Not is any significant or meaningful way.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 1004
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: mind the mind

Post by Pattern-chaser » September 16th, 2020, 9:45 am

Apologies: "All of these comparisons are metaphors, used as we do, to foster understanding of something we don't currently understand (our brains and minds)."
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Post Reply