What is the root cause of misogyny?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Re: What is the root cause of misogyny?

Post by mystery »

LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm
mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 4:58 am
LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2021, 1:37 am
mystery wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:51 pm
I can understand the feeling about it, but this argument does not flow logically. You are suggesting that the root cause is the shame of sexual impulse. I agree that the impulse is in the path but before the rejection. The rejection is between the impulse and the hate.

Many mental health issues are about finding the proper causes and adjusting something to have a different path. In that, we are agreed, but it is not shaming in the man, although perhaps shame of the rejection. Without the rejection, nothing to have the shame of.

Women also have strong urges and at certain times of the month will actively hunt down a man. But that is not the thing of the issue in this case. Men however do not reject very often, but it does happen. A few times when I have rejected a woman nicely, some hate develops.

I don't see racism and misogyny as the same cause. Would be happy to discuss racism in a different thread sometime, that is another interesting topic.
I disagree, the only difference between racism and sexism is the superficial details.
I am interested in your ideas on that. Should it be a new thread or ok in this one?
It might be that I only see those details as more important, or there is something I am missing.
I think it is OK in this thread, though both have been subjects of numerous ones in the past.

Most agree that there isn't a substantive difference between racial and religious prejudice, that is they are examples of the same action on two different variables.

My point is that prejudice based on sexual orientation is basically the same as is gender.

All are "us" vs "them" issues. If misogyny was rejection based, lesbians who got rejected a lot would also display misogyny, yet they don't.
Lesbian are not men, they are estrogen machines instead. I never agree when someone uses the appeal of Most agree. Is it possible to detail how they are the same and with the same cause is the interesting thing if it is true? Without detail, it is difficult to consider it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

AmericanKestrel wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:58 pm
mystery wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:54 pm
no, I do not agree, the rejection is in the path. If we remove the reject the path will flow differently. Again.. the rejection is the proper action. Do we agree that rejection is the proper action if the woman does not want the man?
What exactly do you mean if remove the rejection? Rejection is not a thing, it is denying access to the body. The only way removal of rejection can happen is if the man forces himself, which is rape. Yes, we agree women should not be raped.
Rejection is a thing.

A woman should for sure reject what she does not want. I think we are in agreement on this, if not pls tell.

The man can learn to deal with the rejection in a more useful way, also the man can learn how to behave so rejection does not occur or occur as often.

The woman does not need imo to change for this issue. This is a man's issue to solve about themselves. We completely agree that going to hate in response to rejection is bad. We disagree on how the man should deal with it in his mind. What I assume a woman would want is for it to stop, period. I would expect a woman might consider any path that she does not need to contribute to that would lead to a solution as a useful thing. Some men on the other hand will not like it because it places blame on men, directly on men and does not allow for an excuse such as mental illness or other excuses that are based on lack of motivation.
mystery

Post by mystery »

mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:04 pm

I disagree, the only difference between racism and sexism is the superficial details.
I am interested in your ideas on that. Should it be a new thread or ok in this one?
It might be that I only see those details as more important, or there is something I am missing.
I think it is OK in this thread, though both have been subjects of numerous ones in the past.

Most agree that there isn't a substantive difference between racial and religious prejudice, that is they are examples of the same action on two different variables.

My point is that prejudice based on sexual orientation is basically the same as is gender.

All are "us" vs "them" issues. If misogyny was rejection based, lesbians who got rejected a lot would also display misogyny, yet they don't.
Lesbian are not men, they are estrogen machines instead. I never agree when someone uses the appeal of Most agree. Is it possible to detail how they are the same and with the same cause is the interesting thing if it is true? Without detail, it is difficult to consider it.

In some cases, Lesbian does go to hate if rejected.
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:11 pm
no, I do not agree, the rejection is in the path. If we remove the reject the path will flow differently. Again.. the rejection is the proper action. Do we agree that rejection is the proper action if the woman does not want the man?
What exactly do you mean if remove the rejection? Rejection is not a thing, it is denying access to the body. The only way removal of rejection can happen is if the man forces himself, which is rape. Yes, we agree women should not be raped.
Rejection is a thing.

A woman should for sure reject what she does not want. I think we are in agreement on this, if not pls tell.

The man can learn to deal with the rejection in a more useful way, also the man can learn how to behave so rejection does not occur or occur as often.

The woman does not need imo to change for this issue. This is a man's issue to solve about themselves. We completely agree that going to hate in response to rejection is bad. We disagree on how the man should deal with it in his mind. What I assume a woman would want is for it to stop, period. I would expect a woman might consider any path that she does not need to contribute to that would lead to a solution as a useful thing. Some men on the other hand will not like it because it places blame on men, directly on men and does not allow for an excuse such as mental illness or other excuses that are based on lack of motivation.
If rejection is a cause, are there any crimes or hateful acts that cannot be argued result of rejection? Breaking into a car and stealing it, because the door lock rejected? Muugging an old lady and stealing her money, because she rejected his request for money? Can we list the number crimes caused by rejection?
Breaking into a house and robing.
Beating up your employees because the rejected low wages?
Beating up the customer because …
"The Serpent did not lie."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

There is no logical reason that lesbians (women, as you correctly pointed out) can't hate women, so my point is still valid.

So you feel there is a substantive difference between racial and religious prejudice. OK, I'd love to hear it. Please elaborate.
"As usual... it depends."
mystery

Post by mystery »

AmericanKestrel wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm
mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:11 pm
Rejection is a thing.

If rejection is a cause, are there any crimes or hateful acts that cannot be argued result of rejection? Breaking into a car and stealing it, because the door lock rejected? Muugging an old lady and stealing her money, because she rejected his request for money? Can we list the number crimes caused by rejection?
Breaking into a house and robing.
Beating up your employees because the rejected low wages?
Beating up the customer because …
yes, in some truth it is like you tell. I would not suggest any one of the cases you tell that the rejection is wrong, but it is a rejection all the same. if the person did give what was asked the crime is not.

But based on this we can work it backward.

- takeing things of value usually is a result of not enough money and that is a problem that can be fixed.
- employees can quit and find a different job, I have done it often for the very reason.
- not sure how to think about beating up a customer.

Now there is more to this romantic thing than just sex.

Many a man develops a complete Disney-based fairy tale with some lady before she even knows who they are. In his mind, they are already married, before he ever talks to her. And then she tells no, I don't want to talk to you. She has every right to do this and should. This very normal man is deeply impacted by this simple rejection. The man will need to learn why he was rejected. No blame is with the woman.
mystery

Post by mystery »

LuckyR wrote: June 16th, 2021, 2:18 am

There is no logical reason that lesbians (women, as you correctly pointed out) can't hate women, so my point is still valid.

So you feel there is a substantive difference between racial and religious prejudice. OK, I'd love to hear it. Please elaborate.
I was hoping you would take the lead, and detail why they are the same. I'll go ahead and start

I try very hard to not be racist, and by that admission, I probably am in some amount. One of the key points is culture vs race. I am definitely a culturist meaning some ways of doing things I think are better than others and many of those are based on culture. Usually, culture follows the race. The root cause of racism is the need to be in a pack. The need for security, to be one of a group. But can not be in a group unless a groups exist. The race is an easy way to the group. Culture is something else. Often if someone of a race is acting out of culture they will get much shame from the race they are a member of.

Nothing to do with romantic rejection and sexual drive.

I get the idea that both are unfounded hate and so the same. But neither is unfounded hate, they both have cause and the cause is different. Anyone that groups them together would never find a solution to them, in my opinion. Pls, tell the opposing viewpoint of why they are the same.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm Something in the man triggers hate toward women. Do you disagree with this?
mystery wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:54 pm no, I do not agree, the rejection is in the path. If we remove the reject, the path will flow differently.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:04 am If we remove the misogyny, the path will flow differently.
If we remove the man, the path will flow differently.
If we remove the woman, the path will flow differently.
If we substitute the man for another man who is not a misogynist, the path will flow differently.
And so on.

• Rejection of a man is sometimes followed by a misogynistic response, but only if the man is a misogynist
  • Other social events (unaccompanied by rejection) are sometimes followed by a misogynistic response, but only if the man is a misogynist.
  • The rejection of a man is never followed by a misogynistic response if the man is not a misogynist.
  • Misogynistic behaviour never occurs - despite the presence of rejection, or some other triggering event - unless the man in question is a misogynist.
Rejection is not sufficient to give rise to misogynistic behaviour. It occurs only when the man is a misogynist. Rejection often happens, but a misogynistic response to it does not, except when the man is a misogynist. It is misogyny, not rejection, that is the common factor.

This topic looks for a cause of misogyny (not a cause of, or trigger for, misogynistic behaviour). Your focus is fixed on rejection, which might trigger misogynistic behaviour in a misogynist, but is not a cause of misogyny itself.

I suppose it's possible that continued rejection might lead, in time, to the emergence of misogyny. I don't know that this is true, but I don't know that it isn't, either. The point here is that, if misogyny does emerge for this reason, it is because the man's response to rejection is aberrant, and I offer empirical, repeatable, testable evidence to back this up: rejection does not lead to misogyny or to misogynistic behaviour in the vast majority of men.
mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:00 pm We will agree to disagree.
How can we agree or disagree? I offer my thoughts, and you ignore them, and assert again (and again) that "rejection is the direct cause of misogyny".

You did not respond to any of my post, or any of the points made in it.

You claim to have empirical knowledge and experience that most of us do not share - you say you have experience of many misogynistic men. So why do you not share this evidence with us, choosing instead simply to reassert your own conclusions again and again?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

mystery wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:04 am I try very hard to not be racist, and by that admission, I probably am in some amount. One of the key points is culture vs race. I am definitely a culturist meaning some ways of doing things I think are better than others and many of those are based on culture. Usually, culture follows the race. The root cause of racism is the need to be in a pack. The need for security, to be one of a group. But can not be in a group unless a groups exist. The race is an easy way to the group. Culture is something else. Often if someone of a race is acting out of culture they will get much shame from the race they are a member of.
Humans have always practised a 'them and us' mentality, which has its good points (e.g. social-group cohesion) and its bad ones (you need me to list them?). It's a sort of blanket thing: it covers everything and everyone. Everyone who is not of "us" is of "them". Everyone.

But racism selects a particular subset of humanity and targets them, even though there are many other humans not included in the target population who are definitely "them", not "us". I think this distinguishes discrimination from simple them-and-us, doesn't it?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Isn't it just a matter of probabilities? Some people will especially love the opposite sex, and others will have a special aversion.

Also, some people are more inclined to love generally and others are more inclined to hatred. I find that hatred of women is often accompanied by homophobia, racism, and a general intolerance of "the other".

Sometimes the hatred is passed on by family, sometimes it's the result of negative experiences but, whatever the cause, all hatred is ultimately driven by fear. Fear of the unknown, of the other, of oneself. Again, that's the law of averages at play - some will experience far less fear than usual and others will be highly fearful.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:48 pm Isn't it just a matter of probabilities? Some people will especially love the opposite sex, and others will have a special aversion.

Also, some people are more inclined to love generally and others are more inclined to hatred. I find that hatred of women is often accompanied by homophobia, racism, and a general intolerance of "the other".

Sometimes the hatred is passed on by family, sometimes it's the result of negative experiences but, whatever the cause, all hatred is ultimately driven by fear. Fear of the unknown, of the other, of oneself. Again, that's the law of averages at play - some will experience far less fear than usual and others will be highly fearful.
You're half right. Statistically there will be a normal distribution of attitudes from love to hate of every possible category of group. However, misogyny does not follow a normal distribution. Misogyny is more heavily weighted to the male gender than would be expected by the proportion of heterosexual males in the population. Therefore the root cause has more to do with the male gender than the impact of women on relationships, such as rejection (because if the root cause was the impact of women on relationships, then those impacts would be evenly distributed among all of the types of relationships that women participate in, not just the ones with men).
"As usual... it depends."
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:09 am
mystery wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:04 am I try very hard to not be racist, and by that admission, I probably am in some amount. One of the key points is culture vs race. I am definitely a culturist meaning some ways of doing things I think are better than others and many of those are based on culture. Usually, culture follows the race. The root cause of racism is the need to be in a pack. The need for security, to be one of a group. But can not be in a group unless a groups exist. The race is an easy way to the group. Culture is something else. Often if someone of a race is acting out of culture they will get much shame from the race they are a member of.
Humans have always practised a 'them and us' mentality, which has its good points (e.g. social-group cohesion) and its bad ones (you need me to list them?). It's a sort of blanket thing: it covers everything and everyone. Everyone who is not of "us" is of "them". Everyone.

But racism selects a particular subset of humanity and targets them, even though there are many other humans not included in the target population who are definitely "them", not "us". I think this distinguishes discrimination from simple them-and-us, doesn't it?
Most every time I have seen it is the culture that is being targeted, not the race. It just happens that the race is usually tied to culture.

I can remember ppl telling me how they hate all <pick some race>. Then later they would point out how they really like some person that is also a member of that same race. They would do it on purpose because they are point out that it is not the color or race that they do not like but the behavior and culture that is common with that race.

Yet another topic that we get blocked on for years because of not finding the true cause and allowing political motivations to teach how it is. It is not really as shallow usually as a color thing but is in fact a behavior thing. But if we address it that way and analyze it, some of the arguments are true and that is not convenient.

At the core of this are romance, power, and the need to be great, with ppl using any tool they can think of to achieve those.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:00 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm Something in the man triggers hate toward women. Do you disagree with this?
mystery wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:54 pm no, I do not agree, the rejection is in the path. If we remove the reject, the path will flow differently.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:04 am If we remove the misogyny, the path will flow differently.
If we remove the man, the path will flow differently.
If we remove the woman, the path will flow differently.
If we substitute the man for another man who is not a misogynist, the path will flow differently.
And so on.

• Rejection of a man is sometimes followed by a misogynistic response, but only if the man is a misogynist
  • Other social events (unaccompanied by rejection) are sometimes followed by a misogynistic response, but only if the man is a misogynist.
  • The rejection of a man is never followed by a misogynistic response if the man is not a misogynist.
  • Misogynistic behaviour never occurs - despite the presence of rejection, or some other triggering event - unless the man in question is a misogynist.
Rejection is not sufficient to give rise to misogynistic behaviour. It occurs only when the man is a misogynist. Rejection often happens, but a misogynistic response to it does not, except when the man is a misogynist. It is misogyny, not rejection, that is the common factor.

This topic looks for a cause of misogyny (not a cause of, or trigger for, misogynistic behaviour). Your focus is fixed on rejection, which might trigger misogynistic behaviour in a misogynist, but is not a cause of misogyny itself.

I suppose it's possible that continued rejection might lead, in time, to the emergence of misogyny. I don't know that this is true, but I don't know that it isn't, either. The point here is that, if misogyny does emerge for this reason, it is because the man's response to rejection is aberrant, and I offer empirical, repeatable, testable evidence to back this up: rejection does not lead to misogyny or to misogynistic behaviour in the vast majority of men.
mystery wrote: June 15th, 2021, 8:00 pm We will agree to disagree.
How can we agree or disagree? I offer my thoughts, and you ignore them, and assert again (and again) that "rejection is the direct cause of misogyny".

You did not respond to any of my post, or any of the points made in it.

You claim to have empirical knowledge and experience that most of us do not share - you say you have experience of many misogynistic men. So why do you not share this evidence with us, choosing instead simply to reassert your own conclusions again and again?
Maybe we are telling the same thing.

Some men can be rejected by women and it is no big deal for them.

Some men can be rejected by women and it IS a big deal for them.

- I think we agree on that.

If a woman does not reject a man, he does not develop hate for the woman or women in general.

- I think we agree on that. (some other cases maybe yes due to any number of odd situations)

What you tell us that the woman rejecting the man has no impact on his feelings or emotions.

- we disagree on that.

Do I have it right so far?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: June 17th, 2021, 1:11 am
Sy Borg wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:48 pm Isn't it just a matter of probabilities? Some people will especially love the opposite sex, and others will have a special aversion.

You're half right. Statistically there will be a normal distribution of attitudes from love to hate of every possible category of group. However, misogyny does not follow a normal distribution. Misogyny is more heavily weighted to the male gender than would be expected by the proportion of heterosexual males in the population. Therefore the root cause has more to do with the male gender than the impact of women on relationships, such as rejection (because if the root cause was the impact of women on relationships, then those impacts would be evenly distributed among all of the types of relationships that women participate in, not just the ones with men).
Sure, madly horny young male primates may react with anger if sufficiently sexually thwarted. The itch that cannot be scratched.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sy Borg wrote: June 17th, 2021, 2:09 am
LuckyR wrote: June 17th, 2021, 1:11 am

Sure, madly horny young male primates may react with anger if sufficiently sexually thwarted. The itch that cannot be scratched.
yes sometimes. the deeper anger comes from emotions, the emotion comes from a lack of self-sexual acceptance. Often the man that is openly just looking for sex is already well equipped to deal with rejection. The ones that are covertly looing for it via romance and emotions (Disney style) are the ones that make more of an issue. They usually don't know the reasons themself due to low self-esteem.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream