What is the root cause of misogyny?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Re: What is the root cause of misogyny?

Post by mystery »

Sy Borg wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:25 am
mystery wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:58 am
Sy Borg wrote: June 24th, 2021, 11:09 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:41 pm

Does such a guy exist? A guy who has apparently never had trouble finding female company, and yet he is a misogynist. Why is this, and how did (could) it happen? It doesn't sound plausible to me.
Psychopathic charm. And, yes, it does happen.
I would agree with this, I don't think it is common. I haven't seen it or if I did was not aware of it. It does make sense that it could happen. I don't think it is a statistically important percentage.
Yes, some with the Casanova syndrome - use and throw away women, treating them with contempt after luring them with a charm offensive.
I know some that do that, but they don't hate women. They also do not treat women in any gender special ways. I actually understand it, but it still bothers me how women will so quickly go with that guy you describe instead of a man that would die to protect and care for them. Most of those guys do not hate women, albeit some did in the past until they learned and understood the things women like.

I really would prefer the Disney way, but it just isn't.
mystery

Post by mystery »

LuckyR wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:38 am

Does such a guy exist? A guy who has apparently never had trouble finding female company, and yet he is a misogynist. Why is this, and how did (could) it happen? It doesn't sound plausible to me.
I would agree with this, I don't think it is common. I haven't seen it or if I did was not aware of it. It does make sense that it could happen. I don't think it is a statistically important percentage.
Perhaps you missed the Me Too movement. The influencial and powerful (and thus successful with women) are fully capable of treating women despicably. And they are numerous.
I did not miss it. Most of the women I see go 100 miles an hour into the arms of men that I can clearly see do not have any plan to commit with them. On the other hand, women treat men that would die for them, very despicably. It is likely I would agree with you on how things should be, but how they are in the world I live in.

Most of the ones you're telling about do not hate women and are not part of this question about hate, but we could have another topic perhaps about it. Why women will literally run from a nice man into the arms of a jerk is understood, but sad. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the women for doing what mother nature dictates. There is no negotiation with evolution and mother nature. She has the final word.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

mystery wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:46 am
Yes, some with the Casanova syndrome - use and throw away women, treating them with contempt after luring them with a charm offensive.
I know some that do that, but they don't hate women. They also do not treat women in any gender special ways. I actually understand it, but it still bothers me how women will so quickly go with that guy you describe instead of a man that would die to protect and care for them.
It's the same reason why men choose women who fleece them. That's when genitalia and social status conquer the brain.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sy Borg wrote: June 25th, 2021, 4:17 am
mystery wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:46 am

I know some that do that, but they don't hate women. They also do not treat women in any gender special ways. I actually understand it, but it still bothers me how women will so quickly go with that guy you describe instead of a man that would die to protect and care for them.
It's the same reason why men choose women who fleece them. That's when genitalia and social status conquer the brain.
yep, I like the way you tell it, I might steal/borrow that saying.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Atla wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:42 am To be highly politically incorrect and painfully cliché at the same time, I'd say the root cause of misogyny is a genuine disillusionment, despair and the resulting contempt coming from 30+ year old males towards females.
Above 30, many dudes honestly come to the conclusion that women lack the capacity to love men the way men love women. And they also lack the capacity to be committed to what consider "truths" as opposed to "falsehoods", to relate to existence in what men consider logical terms. They honestly see women as mentally inferior who don't make good intellectual partners. (This in addition to having negligible sex drives compared to men.)
some men for sure are like you tell; not all but some and usually reasons that belief is born. I have to disagree with you on the sex drive thing. It depends on who the man with them is. A woman can be as uninterested in sex as a block of wood until some guy comes along that lights her fire (emotionally) and chemically (the same thing..). almost ALL women will light up with the right guy and some even much more than the average man. It has nothing to do with who she chooses to take care of her, it has to do with who excites her. This is the number one reason that most divorce is initiated by women, someone else lights them up.

It is a bad idea to pick a woman that does not light up for a man, no matter how many other good things exist about it.

BTW; politically incorrect is the only way to get to the real truth.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AmericanKestrel wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:59 pm
LuckyR wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:12 am However, I was addressing a totally different situation, namely the guy who has never been rejected. Why? Who cares? Maybe he's rich, or famous or good looking. Yet he is a misogynist.
Maybe he learned not to hate women.
Then he would not be a misogynist (any more?), would he?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:45 am
AmericanKestrel wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:59 pm
LuckyR wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:12 am However, I was addressing a totally different situation, namely the guy who has never been rejected. Why? Who cares? Maybe he's rich, or famous or good looking. Yet he is a misogynist.
Maybe he learned not to hate women.
Then he would not be a misogynist (any more?), would he?
@Pattern-chaser i wrote that in jest. And you are right, he will no longer be a misogynist. It requires maturity, self inquiry, and becoming adult to be a normal and reasonable human being.
"The Serpent did not lie."
Atla

Post by Atla »

mystery wrote: June 25th, 2021, 6:13 am
Atla wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:42 am To be highly politically incorrect and painfully cliché at the same time, I'd say the root cause of misogyny is a genuine disillusionment, despair and the resulting contempt coming from 30+ year old males towards females.
Above 30, many dudes honestly come to the conclusion that women lack the capacity to love men the way men love women. And they also lack the capacity to be committed to what consider "truths" as opposed to "falsehoods", to relate to existence in what men consider logical terms. They honestly see women as mentally inferior who don't make good intellectual partners. (This in addition to having negligible sex drives compared to men.)
some men for sure are like you tell; not all but some and usually reasons that belief is born. I have to disagree with you on the sex drive thing. It depends on who the man with them is. A woman can be as uninterested in sex as a block of wood until some guy comes along that lights her fire (emotionally) and chemically (the same thing..). almost ALL women will light up with the right guy and some even much more than the average man. It has nothing to do with who she chooses to take care of her, it has to do with who excites her. This is the number one reason that most divorce is initiated by women, someone else lights them up.

It is a bad idea to pick a woman that does not light up for a man, no matter how many other good things exist about it.

I'd say when the woman lights up sexually with the right man, that's still about 40-50% of the male sex drive. And their block of wood mode is like 5-10% of the male sex drive. :)
(talking about averages of course)
True philosophy points to the Moon
Atla

Post by Atla »

Anyway, contrary to popular belief, difference in sex drive, difference in thinking etc. are just secondary issues. Men won't talk about the main issue and women don't understand it:

Men feel UNLOVED, don't feel that women genuinely and deeply care about them.
AmericanKestrel

Atla wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm
Anyway, contrary to popular belief, difference in sex drive, difference in thinking etc. are just secondary issues. Men won't talk about the main issue and women don't understand it:

Do believe in "love, to be loved"?
Is misogyny then a tantrum by those men who cannot love but want to be loved?
Atla

Post by Atla »

AmericanKestrel wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:20 pm

What are you talking about?
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's an interesting spin, I have to think about it more about how it fits in. It would still leave us this to be a man's issue to deal with or no?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:45 am Then he would not be a misogynist (any more?), would he?
AmericanKestrel wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:50 am @Pattern-chaser i wrote that in jest. And you are right, he will no longer be a misogynist. It requires maturity, self inquiry, and becoming adult to be a normal and reasonable human being.
Oh, sorry. Since it was revealed in this topic that misogyny is a minor distaste for women, I have had some difficulty in assessing the language and terms used here. ... I did think it was an odd thing for you to say. 😳
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AmericanKestrel

Atla wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:35 pm
AmericanKestrel wrote: June 25th, 2021, 3:20 pm

What are you talking about?
To be loved one must love. Is that clearer? May be these men who feel unloved dont know or cannot love. There are people who cannot absorb love, no matter how much they are loved. It is a problem that underscores their misogyny. They need to seek help, not take it out on women. It is mental illness.
Atla

Post by Atla »

mystery wrote: June 26th, 2021, 1:03 am That's an interesting spin, I have to think about it more about how it fits in. It would still leave us this to be a man's issue to deal with or no?
Yes it's mostly a man's issue. It's just how this world is, women mainly care about / love children, men mainly care about / love women, and no one really cares about / loves men. Men have to manage on their own.

If you think about it, romantic love between adult men and women is a relatively new Western idea. The Greeks saw love as between two men. The Bible says that men should love their women, and women should "respect" their men. In Eastern culture romantic love isn't really a thing.

Men seem to be programmed culturally or biologically or both to believe that women love them as much as they love women, and of course women believe too that they love man at least as much as men love them. So then typically around 30-35, when men have accumulated enough life experiences, many of them come to the devastating realization that women lack the capacity to love them back as much as they love them. It can sometimes be a life destroying realization. Those men who don't realize this and remain blissfully ignorant, are often better off, they continue to live the illusion.

So then how do men cope with their now meaningless lives? Some kill off their emotions and any need to be loved, become soulless machines, after all it's "unmanly" to be a feeling being. Some invent a God above them to love them, some adopt a Buddhist-like detachment to life, some numb themselves with alcohol and hobbies, some men group together and compensate by invading other countries etc. And some men become misogynysts, they want to take it out on women (which I find pathetic, contemptible). Obviously there are many other reasons too why some men become misogynistic, but I'd say this is the big one. The issue that women can't love men back the same way that men love women, is such a basic fact of this world, that neither gender even realizes it under normal circumstances. And it's an unfixable problem so maybe it's better to pretend it away.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream