Does Philosophy have any Purpose ?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
UniversalAlien

Re: Does Philosophy have any Purpose ?

Post by UniversalAlien »

WanderingGaze22 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 1:26 am I feel that philosophy's main purpose is to learn and have epiphanies about life. It helps us to learn from experience and make the lessons learned from each encounter more understandable for future generations. Having a profound interest shows just how dedicated one is to a cause or an ideal.
HELLO and welcome.

That is a decent answer :arrow: :idea:
WanderingGaze22

Post by WanderingGaze22 »

Thank you!!
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Philosphy has many purposes and no purpose, like evolution itself its essence is to change with the changing world, in whatever way the world dictates.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

popeye1945 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:58 pm Philosphy has many purposes and no purpose, like evolution itself its essence is to change with the changing world, in whatever way the world dictates.
Then again you could say that, philosophy, exists not to "change with the changing wolrd" but rather to change the world -
And not the way the world dictates - But rather the way we dictate the World to be :idea:
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

UniversalAlien wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am
popeye1945 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:58 pm Philosphy has many purposes and no purpose, like evolution itself its essence is to change with the changing world, in whatever way the world dictates.
Then again you could say that, philosophy, exists not to "change with the changing wolrd" but rather to change the world -
And not the way the world dictates - But rather the way we dictate the World to be :idea:
UniversalAlien, Excellent, but all human doing is reaction, even if it is just the physical world one is reacting to. In this it is true to nature, capable of change.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Now I propose a purpose that philosophy should be used for:

To ascertain the validity {truth} of concepts, not only obscures and esoteric, but things we may deal with in real life in the here and now.

The truth of ads in our world of consumerism can save money and therefor may improve our lives - To think about what they appear to be saying in comparison to the reality of the situation [Car dealers offering you 'cash back' when they are trying to take your money is one example}.

Political ads by politicians who often say one thing and end up doing otherwise when elected is another example.

Another words philosophical analysis of the real world of Human interaction can separate the mostly true from the disingenuous.
OneGeist
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel Chomsky Marx

Post by OneGeist »

While keeping my mind and vocabulary sharp are certainly reasons for my continuous interest in philosophical literature. The main reason I have always enjoyed understanding different philosophies is for self reflection. I knew at a young age my ideals and opinions of the world did not coincide with my family and those around me. The only place I was able to reflect upon my own ideas and try to understand them was through learning and understanding as many theological and philosophical ideas as I could. The more contrasting and coinciding thoughts and beliefs I learn. The better I can pin point my own. While they may not be original I know they are my true feelings. Having had them put in question on many occasions by the some of the greatest minds in history.
Psych-Philosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Psych-Philosopher »

Philosophy is the age old study of abstractions through logic. Abstractions such as love, existence, and god to name a few. These abstractions can either be expressed through belief, understood through logic, or both. Philosophy doesn't dictate what is valid, only what is consistent and logical. Through logic and observations the philosopher can pursue truths beyond observation. Seeing how people collaborate and putting together what society truly is, for example. Philosophy by this definition is an exploration into concepts which we created in the first place.

Each step towards truth is a step towards understanding what it means to be human. Through observing and defining the ideas that people take for granted, we can slowly uncover what our ideas really say about us. There is a lot more to it, still. Truths of the universe through metaphysics and epistemology, are our way of attempting to read the code of the universe. We seek to read our own reality, which can mean the truth of our existence or even the nature of reality itself.

The purpose of philosophy is understanding, it is the only field that pursues wisdom. Philosophy allows us to touch upon truth and become wiser while the pursuit of wisdom leads us to philosophy. Wisdom and philosophy are intertwined, connected at the hip. The question in the end of the day is, what is the purpose of wisdom? I believe understanding rids us of fear and elevates us as a species further beyond nature. Philosophy is the art of truth.
WanderingGaze22

Post by WanderingGaze22 »

UniversalAlien wrote: July 15th, 2021, 4:05 am
WanderingGaze22 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 1:26 am I feel that philosophy's main purpose is to learn and have epiphanies about life. It helps us to learn from experience and make the lessons learned from each encounter more understandable for future generations. Having a profound interest shows just how dedicated one is to a cause or an ideal.
HELLO and welcome.

That is a decent answer :arrow: :idea:
Greatly Appreciated!
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

I'm preaching to the choir here, but throughout history philosophy has originated monumental amounts of practical advancement. How many fields of human advancement branched from philosophy, after all? And how much of human advancement are those fields responsible for? If not for the 'lovers of wisdom' throughout time perhaps we would still be huddling together in caves afraid of whatever beasts lurk outside in the dark?

The purpose of philosophy is, for me, the indulgence of innate curiosity. However, the (perhaps unintended in most cases) outgrowth of it throughout history amounts to a sizeable portion of human progress. While it's not true to say the consequences of a thing are automatically synonymous with its purpose, it at least takes the wind out of the sails of those claiming philosophy is pointless.
remy
New Trial Member

Post by remy »

Controlling/Building one-s curiosity for the world around them as well as within them.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Wonder in motion, ignorance is the foundation of wonder, philosophy is the recognition of ignorance, no recognition, no wonder, then no philosophy. Thus, the wind dry withered and blew us away!
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Post by Lagayscienza »

Sure philosophy (still) has a purpose. It helps to analyze and clarify concepts. Science does this, too, but when concepts are sufficiently honed, science takes the next step and looks into things empirically. Going empirical may be more difficult or not be possible for some of the difficult questions that philosophy deals with. So philosophy has a purpose there. But we don't have to be academic philosophers to do philosophy. It can be fun and instructive. Ordinary people do it all the time, usually without realizing it. We do it here. It's exercise for the mind.
La Gaya Scienza
FrankSophia
Favorite Philosopher: Plotinus

Post by FrankSophia »

I would argue the point of philosophy is what Plotinus calls henosis...

Does this realization ultimately have a purpose though?

The result is a better understanding of reality, but this is very localized.

From any larger perspective it is completely irrelevant.
FrankSophia
Favorite Philosopher: Plotinus

Post by FrankSophia »

Our own transformation does not transform reality...

If that transformation was widespread enough much could be different...

Still, is there actually a purpose in that?

Less who are brought into this world would necessarily suffer here...

It doesn't actually create a purpose though...

Even notions of the highest heavens don't actually create purpose long term...

Anything we're exposed to long term will become utterly mundane...

How does long term pointlessness equate to purpose?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream