Why is emotional empathy so rare?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

Re: Why is emotional empathy so rare?

Post by Steve3007 »

Steve3007 wrote:In my experience, most of childhood, at least early childhood, consists of hugging, laughing, playing, singing and generally learning empathy. My own interactions with my kids when they were young were similar to the interactions that I had with my parents and that most other parents and children have. They were largely those sorts of activities. Lessons in schools are a relatively small part of it. As children get older those lessons do indeed tend to involve a lot of learning of facts and the analysis of those facts. But for younger children they're more similar to parent/child interactions.
Mine was a comment on that thread of the conversation, yes, but particularly on what you said here (sorry, I should have made that clearer):
chewybrian wrote:I could not agree more. As kids, we get pretty much only "facts", without much attempt to attach meaning to them, and no training on how to decide how they should impact us. We get shown the world as if it is objective, pretty much ignoring the reality that our experience, our existence in the world, is subjective. We should be studying philosophy and psychology all along, being shown how to be happy and to contribute to the happiness of others, which is a lot more valuable than much of what we are taught in school.
I was just taking issue with you saying that as kids we get pretty much only facts. I was just pointing out that the experience of being a kid isn't just the experience of being in school. It isn't even mostly that. So even if in school we get only facts, that doesn't mean that's all we get as kids.
chewybrian wrote:Well, you seemed to be saying that most children get adequate education in empathy at home, and therefore don't need to be taught about it in school.
No, I wasn't saying they don't need to be taught it in school. I was just pointing out (as you have) that school isn't the only place where we learn things.
I gave the example of my grandmother, who was a willing and excellent English teacher for me. I could have learned all I needed to know from her if needed. Yet, I can see that this is something of an exception, and that many kids could not pick up enough to get by at home without studying English at school. I think the same might be said of your experience of learning empathy at home, in that many other kids could benefit from a better teacher at school.
Yes, I take that point. I agree we probably should be taught more about empathy at school. But as I said, one thing I've noticed is that when kids first go to school (kindergarten and primary/elementary school) their relationships with teachers are much more similar to a parent/child relationship than when they get older. There are hugs and laughs and "patty cake patty cake" and all that. And there are the lessons in empathy when the kids get into conflicts with each other - perhaps their first experience of having to get by with lots of other people with different wants and needs to them. There are the "How would you like it if Jane did that to you George? Play nicely together!" kinds of things. As they progress through school the relationships with teachers tend to get more formal and the gradually increasing emphasis on learning facts, and the analysis of facts, reflects that. Maybe it shouldn't.
Also, the point to which I think you were responding was about emotional intelligence, which is bigger than just empathy. I do agree that most of us learn something about empathy at home, but it would be a rare and lucky child who learns all they need to know about emotional intelligence.
I guess it would be a rare and lucky person in general who gets all of the education they need and becomes a perfectly well balanced adult. I guess we all have our emotional scars from the university of life and the school of hard knocks! I know I do! :)
I agree that most parents would have a tribal type of empathy and do care about their children. But, it seems obvious that many of us lack a broader empathy, as the folks in the other comments around us are saying. Parents may love their children but support killing a thousand miles away in a war. They may care for their family but be unaware or unconcerned about people starving or lacking basic human rights across the globe. They may enjoy processed meats and consumer goods and be in denial about the suffering or extinction of animals that go along with these things. In short, it seems that people have a lot to learn about empathy, so it follows that they won't make good teachers for their children.
Will the human trait you're describing here ever change? Isn't it a fundamental part of human nature, to at least some extent? When there's a tragedy - a famine or a war - on the other side of the world, look at the ways in which we're persuaded to care about it. It's not by telling us how many thousands or millions have been affected. It's by showing us individual, personal, relatable tales of suffering. It seems to me that's how empathy works. As Joseph Stalin, of all people, once said: "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.". I wouldn't want to hold up Stalin as a paragon of wisdom, but that's perhaps a snappy way to summarize a general human tendency and a point about how empathy works. We can't empathize with numbers, even if numbers rather than anecdotes give us a fuller picture of the scale of a tragedy.
I think the same can be said more broadly about emotional intelligence on the whole. We certainly can't assume that parents can provide enough guidance about how to avoid or deal with anxiety or depression when so many of them cannot even deal with their own problems along these lines. We can't assume that parents can and will teach their children proper ways to cooperate and have good relationships when they can't cooperate with each other and so many of their relationships are unhealthy and/or failing.
Fair point. Trouble is, that kind of thing can be self-perpetuating. As the poet Philip Larkin memorably wrote:

"They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you."
So, it brings me back to the point to which I thought you were responding, which is the idea that emotional intelligence should be taught in school. We should teach kids about respect, empathy, kindness, mental illness, cognitive distortions and biases, conflict resolution and such. I think there is a tradition that says we have to stay out of peoples' religion, and let morality be taught at home. But, these issues don't have to be lumped in with religion or even morality. These are just ways to resolve problems and live better, no matter what moral or religious baggage you might carry along.
I agree.
OneGeist
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel Chomsky Marx

Post by OneGeist »

chewybrian wrote: September 26th, 2021, 5:30 am Yet, I can see that this is something of an exception, and that many kids could not pick up enough to get by at home without studying English at school. I think the same might be said of your experience of learning empathy at home,
I would have to agree, for me emotional intelligence covers the spectrum. Compassion, understanding, empathy, etc. For ones self and those with contrasting ideas and everything in between. If you had this experience at home in your childhood I commend your guardians. However that is far from the norm in my personal experience.
chewybrian wrote: September 26th, 2021, 5:30 am We should teach kids about respect, empathy, kindness, mental illness, cognitive distortions and biases, conflict resolution and such. I think there is a tradition that says we have to stay out of peoples' religion, and let morality be taught at home. But, these issues don't have to be lumped in with religion or even morality. These are just ways to resolve problems and live better, no matter what moral or religious baggage you might carry along.
I could not agree more, and not just as young children. On through high school when we actually start making true social connections. Just to learn about ones self and others and how much we have in common on the inside. Regardless of how much we appear different. I know most people will think this is crazy, but I think we should be teaching what some refer to as sexual empathy in high school. A lot of insecurities that manifest into complexes later in life. Stem from shame, fear, guilt, and embarrassment about our early sexual encounters. Which is ridiculous considering all organisms purpose is to reproduce. It's the most common human instinct after eating. Yet many grow up feeling awkward and shameful for having feelings that are the reason we even exist. To not nurture those feelings, to make sure they develop strong and healthy. Is almost criminal in my opinion.
"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged". Noam Chomsky
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OneGeist wrote:However that is far from the norm in my personal experience.
What do you mean by "my personal experience" here? Do you mean your experience as a child, or do you mean that plus your observations of others? If you only mean your personal experience as a child, what would be your reason for regarding that as the norm? Aren't considerations of what is the norm, by definition, considerations of the experiences of relatively large numbers of people?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OneGeist wrote:...A lot of insecurities that manifest into complexes later in life. Stem from shame, fear, guilt, and embarrassment about our early sexual encounters. Which is ridiculous considering all organisms purpose is to reproduce. It's the most common human instinct after eating. Yet many grow up feeling awkward and shameful for having feelings that are the reason we even exist. To not nurture those feelings, to make sure they develop strong and healthy. Is almost criminal in my opinion.
I agree that this is almost criminal, but I think it's a function of particular societies with particular unhealthy attitudes towards sex. It seems to me to have got a lot better, at least where I live, since I was a teenager. My own teenage kids and their friends seem to be more relaxed and open in talking about sex than I ever was at school, although I realize that's anecdotal evidence.
OneGeist

Post by OneGeist »

Steve3007 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:22 am
OneGeist wrote:However that is far from the norm in my personal experience.
What do you mean by "my personal experience" here? Do you mean your experience as a child, or do you mean that plus your observations of others? If you only mean your personal experience as a child, what would be your reason for regarding that as the norm? Aren't considerations of what is the norm, by definition, considerations of the experiences of relatively large numbers of people?
I mean in both my personal experience at home as well as visiting others homes. Plus a plethora of literature, documentaries, and others personal accounts be it in person or through another source. I try to always throw out something like "in my opinion" or "as I understand it". Just to state I understand my perception of the world is very limited to my experiences, and it is in no way a large enough test group to get a clear and total understanding of any subject. I don't presume my experience is the most common one nor my understanding of it unbias.
"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged". Noam Chomsky
OneGeist

Post by OneGeist »

Steve3007 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:26 am
OneGeist wrote:...A lot of insecurities that manifest into complexes later in life. Stem from shame, fear, guilt, and embarrassment about our early sexual encounters. Which is ridiculous considering all organisms purpose is to reproduce. It's the most common human instinct after eating. Yet many grow up feeling awkward and shameful for having feelings that are the reason we even exist. To not nurture those feelings, to make sure they develop strong and healthy. Is almost criminal in my opinion.
I agree that this is almost criminal, but I think it's a function of particular societies with particular unhealthy attitudes towards sex. It seems to me to have got a lot better, at least where I live, since I was a teenager. My own teenage kids and their friends seem to be more relaxed and open in talking about sex than I ever was at school, although I realize that's anecdotal evidence.
I have a 19 year old daughter who likes girls and we have open conversations on the subject often. So I know exactly what you mean. The monetization of false morals through guilt is slowly losing it's grip on western culture. So it seems.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

tsihcrana wrote: September 25th, 2021, 11:57 am Tribalism is a subset of in-group mentality ... The canonical unit of in-group mentality is the family ... The way to reduce tribalism is to encourage people to think more often at the level of humanity in general.
Humans have always been co-operative animals, living socially, in proximity. The couple is the smallest unit, then the family, the tribe, and so on. Many 'side-groups' also exist, our work colleagues, fellow supporters of our team, etc, etc. We are characterised by an enormous mesh of social groupings. The biggest grouping of all, 'humanity', is less well defined because there are no other beings outside of it, to define its 'borders'. I can see no obvious way to "reduce tribalism", as it seems so fundamental to the ways we live, and I can't think of an obvious reason why we would want to. Not all aspects of groupings are positive, but is that a reason to try to reduce or remove them?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:06 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 25th, 2021, 11:57 am Tribalism is a subset of in-group mentality ... The canonical unit of in-group mentality is the family ... The way to reduce tribalism is to encourage people to think more often at the level of humanity in general.
Humans have always been co-operative animals, living socially, in proximity. The couple is the smallest unit, then the family, the tribe, and so on. Many 'side-groups' also exist, our work colleagues, fellow supporters of our team, etc, etc. We are characterised by an enormous mesh of social groupings. The biggest grouping of all, 'humanity', is less well defined because there are no other beings outside of it, to define its 'borders'. I can see no obvious way to "reduce tribalism", as it seems so fundamental to the ways we live, and I can't think of an obvious reason why we would want to. Not all aspects of groupings are positive, but is that a reason to try to reduce or remove them?
Yeah, you're right - the smallest unit is the couple, and you're probably also right in that there seems no obvious way to reduce it - though psychedelics/meditation come to mind.

I can think of a lot of reasons to reduce tribalism. Tribalism, to some extent, reduces inter-group co-operation. It prioritizes the needs of a few over the needs of the many. It leads to disparate applications of morality - "he's one of them, so he got what he deserved" kind of thinking. It emboldens prejudice/discrimination. It can foster ignorance - people refusing to entertain another's point of view because they belong to some faction or other. And so on.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:Yet, I can see that this is something of an exception, and that many kids could not pick up enough to get by at home without studying English at school. I think the same might be said of your experience of learning empathy at home,
OneGeist wrote:I would have to agree, for me emotional intelligence covers the spectrum. Compassion, understanding, empathy, etc. For ones self and those with contrasting ideas and everything in between. If you had this experience at home in your childhood I commend your guardians. However that is far from the norm in my personal experience.
Steve3007 wrote:What do you mean by "my personal experience" here? Do you mean your experience as a child, or do you mean that plus your observations of others?...
=OneGeist wrote:I mean in both my personal experience at home as well as visiting others homes. Plus a plethora of literature, documentaries, and others personal accounts be it in person or through another source. I try to always throw out something like "in my opinion" or "as I understand it". Just to state I understand my perception of the world is very limited to my experiences, and it is in no way a large enough test group to get a clear and total understanding of any subject. I don't presume my experience is the most common one nor my understanding of it unbias.
Wow, really? Compassion, empathy, etc, for oneself and those with contrasting ideas is missing from most homes? That's not my experience at all. Obviously it is my experience of some homes. Obviously some families are dysfunctional and the kids in them, for various reasons, don't get those things. But that's the exception not the norm, in my experience. And obviously there are dysfunctional families in literature and documentaries. That's what literature and documentaries are largely for - showing us the unusual. I rarely see documentaries that are all about the day to day lives of normal people, just as the news rarely leads with a story about people getting along nicely.

Where do you live? (If you don't mind me asking.)
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Steve3007 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:51 pm
chewybrian wrote:Yet, I can see that this is something of an exception, and that many kids could not pick up enough to get by at home without studying English at school. I think the same might be said of your experience of learning empathy at home,
OneGeist wrote:I would have to agree, for me emotional intelligence covers the spectrum. Compassion, understanding, empathy, etc. For ones self and those with contrasting ideas and everything in between. If you had this experience at home in your childhood I commend your guardians. However that is far from the norm in my personal experience.
Steve3007 wrote:What do you mean by "my personal experience" here? Do you mean your experience as a child, or do you mean that plus your observations of others?...
=OneGeist wrote:I mean in both my personal experience at home as well as visiting others homes. Plus a plethora of literature, documentaries, and others personal accounts be it in person or through another source. I try to always throw out something like "in my opinion" or "as I understand it". Just to state I understand my perception of the world is very limited to my experiences, and it is in no way a large enough test group to get a clear and total understanding of any subject. I don't presume my experience is the most common one nor my understanding of it unbias.
Wow, really? Compassion, empathy, etc, for oneself and those with contrasting ideas is missing from most homes? That's not my experience at all. Obviously it is my experience of some homes. Obviously some families are dysfunctional and the kids in them, for various reasons, don't get those things. But that's the exception not the norm, in my experience. And obviously there are dysfunctional families in literature and documentaries. That's what literature and documentaries are largely for - showing us the unusual. I rarely see documentaries that are all about the day to day lives of normal people, just as the news rarely leads with a story about people getting along nicely.

I said you were projecting, and I might have to say it again...

All I can think to do is flood you with some statistics that seem to show that you were among the lucky ones. Certainly some of these overlap, but the result (in my mind) is that a whole lot of kids either experience mental illness, drug abuse or violence, or have to live with it. Having a single mother suffering with depression can have a tough impact on a kid, whether or not they suffer from it themselves. The same can be said for anxiety, anger issues, addictions and such. I simply have to believe they are more widespread than you seem to think, though I wish I had good reason to believe otherwise. This is why I do think that this emotional intelligence training in the schools could do a lot of good.
A study of a national sample of American children found that over the past year 60 percent were exposed to violence, crime, or abuse in their homes, schools, and communities. Almost 40 percent of American children were direct victims of 2 or more violent acts, and 1 in 10 were victims of violence 5 or more times. Children are more likely to be exposed to violence and crime than adults. Almost 1 in 10 American children saw one family member assault another family member, and more than 25 percent had been exposed to family violence during their life

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States

MDD (major depressive disorder) affects more than 16.1 million American adults, or about 6.7%of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year

PTSD affects 7.7 million adults, or 3.5% of the U.S. population

Among Americans aged 12 years and older, 31.9 million are current illegal drug users

139.8 million Americans 12 and over drink alcohol.; 14.8 million or 10.6% of them have an alcohol use disorder

Only 10% of Americans dealing with addiction receive treatment

Nearly 45 percent of married couples eventually divorce.

Anxiety disorders affect 25.1% of children between 13 and 18 years old

Almost 75% of people with mental disorders remain untreated in developing countries with almost 1 million people taking their lives each year
https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/facts-statistics

https://www.ojp.gov/program/programs/cev

https://drugabusestatistics.org/

https://btlfamilylaw.com/divorce-statistics/
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Psych-Philosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Psych-Philosopher »

Empathy is not a trait but rather exists on a spectrum. Even if there were a genetic trait that made a person empathetic, societal conditioning is the main decider of where empathy is directed. A person could feel empathy for animals on a deep level but not for humans, this doesn't make biological sense because it's a matter of nurture.

Empathy is rare because it is a social quality that doesn't necessarily help a person survive. A person who is not empathetic at all could work with a team of people to survive, they would focus on value assessments and cooperate when it suites their interests. Empathy is not a quality of the most powerful individuals because society mirrors nature in that we must still compete to survive. This competition, in my opinion, is unnecessary at this point but persists because we are still conditioned to bend to those who confidently exercise their power. Such people tend not to be empathetic because at higher levels of power empathy delays decision making and would burden an empathetic person through feeling the consequences and collateral of their decision.

Empathy will become more common when it is stops being detrimental to success. Success within society should be a matter of cooperation and people fighting together as it once did. There are likely numerous highly empathetic individuals who have been conditioned to overlook the feelings of others.
It doesn't have to be that way.
OneGeist

Post by OneGeist »

Steve3007 wrote:

Firstly this is why I say in my experience, because we all have a separate views of the world and only the combination of them all is the truth.

Growing up, latch key kids were very common most places I have been. Leaving a lot of kids alone after school with nothing but the t.v. and siblings to promote any sort of healthy mind. When tired parents did get home from work, they had to cook and wrangle kids into shower and bed. Leaving little time for emotional health exercises or even the thought of. Plus the drug addictions and alcoholism that plagues this country were pretty common place themselves.

I have the assumption you grew up in a small Canadian town or something where paper boys and milk men still exist to this day. To answer your final question my family owns a Carnival so I grew up traveling all over the U.S. and parts of Canada. I have lived in Gold country Ca between Sac and Tahoe for the past 5-6 years. At the moment I am in Arkansas visiting family due to the fires.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

chewybrian wrote:All I can think to do is flood you with some statistics that seem to show that you were among the lucky ones.
Fair enough. But remember, what I'm claiming is that "most of childhood, at least early childhood, consists of hugging, laughing, playing, singing and generally learning empathy" and that lessons in schools aren't the only places where we learn things. I'll emphasize: learning doesn't just mean formally setting aside time and saying "now little Jimmy, today we're going to learn about a thing called empathy". It also consists of the things we do naturally as parents, with our children, without even thinking of it as learning. I'd argue that most of it is that. And I'd argue that most, but not all, parents do that.
Certainly some of these overlap, but the result (in my mind) is that a whole lot of kids either experience mental illness, drug abuse or violence, or have to live with it.
A whole lot? Yes I agree. A whole lot of people in this world experience all kinds of bad things. That's not the same as saying those things are the norm.
Having a single mother suffering with depression can have a tough impact on a kid, whether or not they suffer from it themselves. The same can be said for anxiety, anger issues, addictions and such.
I agree.
I simply have to believe they are more widespread than you seem to think, though I wish I had good reason to believe otherwise.
To be clear: That would mean that you think most childhoods are dysfunctional in the way that you've described and that most parents, for whatever reason, either don't have or can't express the natural parental instincts that I've described.
This is why I do think that this emotional intelligence training in the schools could do a lot of good.
I agree that some form of emotional intelligence training would be good in secondary schools.

And then you quote some sources. Sample:
A study of a national sample of American children found that over the past year 60 percent were exposed to violence, crime, or abuse in their homes, schools, and communities. Almost 40 percent of American children were direct victims of 2 or more violent acts, and 1 in 10 were victims of violence 5 or more times. Children are more likely to be exposed to violence and crime than adults. Almost 1 in 10 American children saw one family member assault another family member, and more than 25 percent had been exposed to family violence during their life...
On the face of it, that sounds bad. If something happens to 60% of a population I'd be persuaded that it is a norm. But, of course, stated in those terms it's ambiguous. For example, where it says: "60 percent were exposed to violence, crime, or abuse in their homes, schools, and communities" I'd be interested know what is meant by that and what constitutes violence or abuse. I'd have thought almost everybody has experienced some kind of violence or abuse in their life (I know I have), unless they really have been wrapped in cotton-wool. The question of whether we should be seriously concerned depends on the degree.
Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States
Again, it depends on the degree. I've suffered from anxiety at some times in my life. Many people I know have. Anxiety is part of life. Whether we see it as a societal problem depends on the degree to which it affects people's lives.

Skipping to this one and then leaving it for now:
Nearly 45 percent of married couples eventually divorce.
Nothing inherently concerning about that, in my view. I and lots of other people I know are separated from the other parent of our children. I'm now married to someone else. (Never got around to getting married to the mother of my kids). If the alternative were to stay for years in a loveless relationship then, arguably, that's a worse example to the kids than separation is. Depends on individual circumstances.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OneGeist wrote:Firstly this is why I say in my experience, because we all have a separate views of the world and only the combination of them all is the truth.
Understood. As I was saying earlier (I think it was to Chewy), it seems to me that one of the problems with assessing this kind of thing is that on the one hand we tend to relate more easily to individual, anecdotal stories and (naturally) our own experiences and the experiences of those close to us. On the other hand, statistics about larger numbers of people are more representative of the population as a whole, but we can't relate to statistics.
Growing up, latch key kids were very common most places I have been. Leaving a lot of kids alone after school with nothing but the t.v. and siblings to promote any sort of healthy mind.
Me too, at least from a certain age. Not from early childhood though. From secondary school onwards both of my parents worked. Me and my siblings fended for ourselves (watching TV, playing and fighting!) after school. Not, in itself, necessarily harmful, in my view.
When tired parents did get home from work, they had to cook and wrangle kids into shower and bed. Leaving little time for emotional health exercises or even the thought of.
In what I've been saying, I'm not talking about "emotional health exercises". I'm just talking about the normal stuff we naturally do with our kids, particularly when they're young. When your kids were young, you must surely have done things like playing games, reading stories, singing songs and all that stuff?
Plus the drug addictions and alcoholism that plagues this country were pretty common place themselves.
Alcohol does certainly seem to be a growing problem in our societies (US and UK in our cases) but I still wouldn't call alcohol problems that are severe enough to damage childhoods a norm. A quick look at some stats suggests that 5 to 6% of people in both the US and UK are classed as alcoholic. Not a good thing, for sure. But not the norm.
I have the assumption you grew up in a small Canadian town or something where paper boys and milk men still exist to this day. To answer your final question my family owns a Carnival so I grew up traveling all over the U.S. and parts of Canada. I have lived in Gold country Ca between Sac and Tahoe for the past 5-6 years. At the moment I am in Arkansas visiting family due to the fires.
No, I've never been to Canada, although I have a few friends who have moved there. I've been to the US quite a few times. I'm British. Parents from Yorkshire. Grew up in Suffolk. Went to university in York. Worked for a short time as a teacher in the West Midlands. Have lived in various parts of the UK. Now living in Kent. (I'm not sure if any of that is going to mean anything to you.)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

To answer your final question my family owns a Carnival so I grew up traveling all over the U.S. and parts of Canada.
By the way, that's an interesting sounding background!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream