Are cultures collective delusions?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
tsihcrana

Are cultures collective delusions?

Post by tsihcrana »

The title pretty much sums the argument. Strip a culture of it's pointless practices, unfounded beliefs, mythologies, empty traditions, ideologies, superstitions, religions, fashions etc and what you have left is no culture at all, but instead empirical truth. The kind all humanity generally shares in common. I can't think of a single aspect of culture that isn't some form of delusion. Then we go and double down on our irrationality by being partriotic/proud of our delusions. It's weird.

It might seem like I'm railing against culture here, but I don't really dislike it. I just thinks it's kind of odd, as are sentiments like patriotism. But they're interesting because they're odd. Making a meal of life would be pretty boring without a little delusiono-cultural spice.
Steve3007

Re: Are cultures collective delusions?

Post by Steve3007 »

Perhaps if we're patristic/proud of our delusions, but with a sense of perspective as to why we are, it's not so bad?
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

I agree. I'm proud of being a unicorn, and it's "not like there's anything wrong with that".
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

The question and your first post doesn't really make sense to me.

Let's just take one element of culture--let's say clothing (or "fashion") conventions.

How would that be a "delusion"?

Maybe you'd say it's a "pointless practice" or "empty tradition," but those seem simply like subjective value judgments on your part. Maybe you don't care about such things, but it doesn't make any sense to me calling something like clothing conventions a "delusion."
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Yeah, you're right. Poor word choice. I was running with the notion that people ascribing value to practices/traditions/etc en masse and for no valid reason other than "that's what everyone else around here is doing" seemed like some flight of fancy, some departure from common sense. I aught to have found a word for 'ascribing false value to arbitrary beliefs'.

Thanks for pointing it out.
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Actually, even 'false value' doesn't work (wish there was an edit tab on this forum). Values are inherently subjective and there's never anything false about them.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Right, values can't be true or false. Re following customs, that's kind of the whole gist of what culture is. Sometimes there are non-"abitrary" reasons for some cultural thing (like clothing conventions for protection from the local elements), sometimes there aren't.

A lot of it comes down to the simple fact that one is going to learn things from and be influenced by things in one's environment. You learn how to use a language, how to make food, how to make music and so on from those around you. So culture kind of works like a massive/internetworked/long-lasting game of "telephone," to some extent by necessity, and like "telephone" it's not transmitted exactly from person to person, but it gradually evolves into other expressions.

I don't know if there would really be any way around that, because humans really aren't a type of creature where each individual could "reinvent all of the wheels" as if they're in complete isolation from each other. For one, human infants can't even survive on their own. They need a lot of assistance for quite a few years. A human baby/infant/toddler left all on its own, so that it has to find its own shelter, food, etc., is going to be a dead baby/infant/toddler. So humans have to closely interact with and learn things from other humans, and that's going to result in following certain ways of doing things that aren't the only possible way to do them.
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:59 pm Right, values can't be true or false. Re following customs, that's kind of the whole gist of what culture is. Sometimes there are non-"abitrary" reasons for some cultural thing (like clothing conventions for protection from the local elements), sometimes there aren't.

A lot of it comes down to the simple fact that one is going to learn things from and be influenced by things in one's environment. You learn how to use a language, how to make food, how to make music and so on from those around you. So culture kind of works like a massive/internetworked/long-lasting game of "telephone," to some extent by necessity, and like "telephone" it's not transmitted exactly from person to person, but it gradually evolves into other expressions.

I don't know if there would really be any way around that, because humans really aren't a type of creature where each individual could "reinvent all of the wheels" as if they're in complete isolation from each other. For one, human infants can't even survive on their own. They need a lot of assistance for quite a few years. A human baby/infant/toddler left all on its own, so that it has to find its own shelter, food, etc., is going to be a dead baby/infant/toddler. So humans have to closely interact with and learn things from other humans, and that's going to result in following certain ways of doing things that aren't the only possible way to do them.
I agree with all that, and concede my initial position. It was ill-conceived.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

tsihcrana wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:21 pm The title pretty much sums the argument. Strip a culture of it's pointless practices, unfounded beliefs, mythologies, empty traditions, ideologies, superstitions, religions, fashions etc and what you have left is no culture at all, but instead empirical truth. The kind all humanity generally shares in common. I can't think of a single aspect of culture that isn't some form of delusion. Then we go and double down on our irrationality by being partriotic/proud of our delusions. It's weird.

It might seem like I'm railing against culture here, but I don't really dislike it. I just thinks it's kind of odd, as are sentiments like patriotism. But they're interesting because they're odd. Making a meal of life would be pretty boring without a little delusiono-cultural spice.
It's true to the extent that "a Culture" is somehow an ethnically or nationally bounded entity.
"Human Culture" is what you make it. But the concept and the self determined an arbitrary boundaries of "race", and "nation" which are characterises as this or that culture are, as you say mythological and supersititious.
What is more, is, that they are most often dangerous vanoties which contoue to keep humans in conflict.

However culture can be boundless and open to all who would wish to fourish and enjoy it. Musical culture provided it is not bounded as "black" or "white" is avaliable to enrich the lives of any who appraciate it. Art and literature, (provided again the it is not bounded) can be free to all.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Cultures are continually changing and are necessary for evolution. Without cultures there couldn't be cognition which is essential for humans. So the question whether cultures are delusions or not isn't relevant because cultures and humans are inseparable..
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

stevie wrote: September 28th, 2021, 12:29 am Cultures are continually changing and are necessary for evolution. Without cultures there couldn't be cognition which is essential for humans. So the question whether cultures are delusions or not isn't relevant because cultures and humans are inseparable..
I'm not sure cultures are 'necessary for the evolution of anything except more refined culture. Such a statement inherently calls for me to define the boundaries of whatever thing I'm calling 'culture' though, and that's a slippery slope.

Culture, to me, refers to things like linguistics and fashion only to the extent of idiosyncracy, so (for instance) the English language doesn't define part of American culture so much as the idiosyncrasies of American English define it. The fact that we use clothes for protection isn't culture, but regional trends in fashion are. To me the things that make up culture are arbitrary. The meanings of words are (for these purposes) non-arbitrary, as is maths/physics/chemistry/etc, so these don't constitute culture. I haven't adopted English culture if I learn English, or Western culture if I learn electrical engineering (as examples), but if I speak 'like' an Englishman, or make techno-gadgets aesthetically 'reminiscent of' Western culture, then I'm adopting some part of their culture.

I definitely disagree with you that culture is necessary for cognition. A person can develop notions about the world and perform mental functions thereupon entirely independent from all cultural influence. Say Adam was born in some jungle somewhere where he was accidentally misplaced and, by some inexplicable miracle, survived to the age of 10 without any contact with human beings. By then he would have formulated some rudimentary understanding of the world around him and would be fully able to cogitate what would happen when a branch falls from a tree, or the best way to retrieve fruit from a high branch, or realize that finding a safe warm place to spend the night is better than sleeping exposed... Culture is an outgrowth of cognitive capacity, not a causal influence of it.
stevie

Post by stevie »

tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:14 am I definitely disagree with you that culture is necessary for cognition. A person can develop notions about the world and perform mental functions thereupon entirely independent from all cultural influence....
Hmh ... I don't think so because a particular language and all kinds of corresponding linguistic expressions are an essential part of a particular culture and I can't see how conceptual thinking could be " entirely independent" of learning a particular "native" language.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

stevie wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:29 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:14 am I definitely disagree with you that culture is necessary for cognition. A person can develop notions about the world and perform mental functions thereupon entirely independent from all cultural influence....
Hmh ... I don't think so because a particular language and all kinds of corresponding linguistic expressions are an essential part of a particular culture and I can't see how conceptual thinking could be " entirely independent" of learning a particular "native" language.
Language 'expresses' thoughts/conceptions. It doesn't necessarily originate them. It is impossible to ascribe a symbol-object relationship without first conceptualising the object boundaries. If we're listening to, or reading, another's words then yes, their words influence our thoughts. However, when we formulate our own language some cognition must always precede the expression of it, else all you have is language (somehow) expressing itself. Consider how many times people say something along the lines of "it's hard to put into words" - there must be a 'something' to be put into words.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Rather than concentrate on the word "delusion", which the OP has retracted, I would focus of the word "collective". Some on this Forum eschew the concept and deny there is an entity called society, let alone culture and treat a community as just a series of individuals who can be understood and described by their individual traits and behaviors. I happen to agree with the observation that group behavior is different than multiples of individual behavior. Thus the need for both psychology and sociology.
"As usual... it depends."
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

LuckyR wrote: September 28th, 2021, 2:54 am Rather than concentrate on the word "delusion", which the OP has retracted, I would focus of the word "collective". Some on this Forum eschew the concept and deny there is an entity called society, let alone culture and treat a community as just a series of individuals who can be understood and described by their individual traits and behaviors. I happen to agree with the observation that group behavior is different than multiples of individual behavior. Thus the need for both psychology and sociology.
I tend to think of the concept of 'culture' as valid but, as with most large-scale categories that apply to real-world observational phenomena, it lacks any kind of finite boundary, so any attempt at delineating one will lead one into difficulty and contradiction.

Analyzing the exact boundaries of a nebulous term like 'culture' is difficult because categorization in general diminishes appreciation of individual characteristics, and the greater the breadth of the category, the less individuation is evident. Delineating the precise boundaries of large-scale categories requires 'zooming back in' to the level where individual differences become important. But then you're altering the scale, which then departs from and undermines the meaning ascribed to the category in the first place. Scale matters, and when you alter it you start talking about different groups of characteristics.

There are no two apples exactly alike, for instance, but we still label them all the same. When we consider a single apple we might notice it's shine, shape, texture, colouration and patterning, weight, density, crispness, taste, acidity, and so on. But as soon as you consider two apples as a category called 'apples' you've suddenly dispensed with everything that makes each apple unique and concentrated on what makes them (somewhat) alike, which is a much smaller pool of information. The more apples you bring together the less they all have in common, and the less individual information becomes relevant. The pool of attributes they share in common shrinks. If you try to define what constitutes the large-scale category 'apples' by minute investigation of each constituent apple you'll immediately run into problems due to changing scale, the inherent uniqueness of each constituent apple, and outlier characteristics that begin to stretch the category boundaries beyond what is practicable/reasonable.

So I would argue that, although the boundaries of the category 'culture' break down under scrutiny, that doesn't entirely invalidate the concept, it just sidesteps the scale at which the category is meant to be applied.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream