What philosophy offends you most?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Post Reply
Ecurb
Posts: 1562
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:15 pm

Hmm. You don't consider, say, stealing someone's car, burglarizing or burning down their house, draining their bank accounts via some sort of identity theft, seizing their crops, etc., to be injuries, i.e., damages to their welfare?
Don't steal anyone's slave mistress! That's my rule of thumb (and probably Jefferson's, too).

However, you are changing the discussion from being about "freedom" to being about "damaging welfare". Also, your question is loaded by assuming property rights in the first place. Why not ask, "Do you think coming upon an apple tree and eating the apples damages someone else's welfare?"

I suppose driving cars damages the welfare of others by polluting the air -- but that is equally true whether one is driving one's own car or someone else's. "Stealing" is only possible given property rights. Driving a car that nobody else is using does not necessarily harm anyone (except by polluting).
GE Morton
Posts: 3680
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 1:06 am

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:57 pm
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 2:15 pm
Hmm. You don't consider, say, stealing someone's car, burglarizing or burning down their house, draining their bank accounts via some sort of identity theft, seizing their crops, etc., to be injuries, i.e., damages to their welfare?
Don't steal anyone's slave mistress! That's my rule of thumb (and probably Jefferson's, too).
Ah. So instead of answering the question, you reply with an ad hominem about Jefferson?
However, you are changing the discussion from being about "freedom" to being about "damaging welfare".
No, not changing anything. The question was, "What is political freedom?" My answer was, "The freedom to act in any way one wishes as long as it inflicts no injuries or losses on others."
Also, your question is loaded by assuming property rights in the first place.
Er, the question was not, "What are rights?," but, "What is political freedom?"
Why not ask, "Do you think coming upon an apple tree and eating the apples damages someone else's welfare?"
Sure you could, if that were the topic. The answer would be, "No."

You're floundering, Ecurb.
Ecurb
Posts: 1562
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 6:35 pm

You're floundering, Ecurb.
No I'm not. But we're off topic. The philosophies that offend me the most are those which claim objectivity. The delusional conceit of that claim is annoying.

I suppose hypocrisy is also annoying. Is that you, Thomas Jefferson? ( I think that Jefferson is America's favorite rapist, unless that honor goes to Kobe Bryant.)
GE Morton
Posts: 3680
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 1:06 am

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm
No I'm not. But we're off topic. The philosophies that offend me the most are those which claim objectivity.
Then you'd fit right in with the PM crowd. Without objectivity there would be no science, no logic, and no possibility of a rational ethics.
I suppose hypocrisy is also annoying. Is that you, Thomas Jefferson? ( I think that Jefferson is America's favorite rapist, unless that honor goes to Kobe Bryant.)
We've been through that sophomoric "Jefferson was a hypocrite" ad hominem at length in another thread (can't remember if you were involved). No interest in re-visiting it.
Ecurb
Posts: 1562
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:25 pm
Then you'd fit right in with the PM crowd. Without objectivity there would be no science, no logic, and no possibility of a rational ethics.

Thanks, GE. Post modernism has made trenchant critiques of phony objectivity, such as yours. Also one can use logic to support biased, prejudiced, subjectively formed opinions, as you clearly demonstrate. Ethics cannot be derived "objectively"; they must rely in the end on subjective opinions.
GE Morton
Posts: 3680
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 1:06 am

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:49 pm Ethics cannot be derived "objectively"; they must rely in the end on subjective opinions.
Then we're condemned to the same chaotic moral Tower of Babel, and the same succession of idiotic ideologies, pogroms, oppressions, plundering, wars, and genocides those subjective opinions generate, and the subject should be dismissed by philosophers as non-rational and thus intellectually intractable.
User avatar
Sy Borg
Site Admin
Posts: 12410
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 5th, 2022, 10:32 am
Consul wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 11:36 am
Sy Borg wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 4:58 pm…and rant about woke pandering to them, you do the bidding of Charles Koch and Rupert Murdoch.
No, I don't, because if my "rants" against wokeism are interpreted by far-right conservatives as coming from one of them, I'll tell them that they are wrong, because I'm not one of them! Can you imagine that I politically dislike both far-left (postmodern) socialism (as represented by wokeism) and far-right conservatism or fascism!
For instance, here's Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán's speech at the opening of CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) Texas 2022:

https://miniszterelnok.hu/speech-by-pri ... pac-texas/

Which political ideology does Orbán represent?

* authoritarian conservatism (illiberalism)
* ethnocultural ultranationalism
* Christian fundamentalism (Christianism)
In short: Christian fascism (Christofascism)

According to Orbán, "this war is a culture war" against "the Woke Globalist Goliath".

Note that he doesn't only use "woke" to refer to what I use it to refer to, viz. postmodern socialism (critical postmodernism), but also to liberalism and social democracy, and presumably also to moderate, non-illiberal conservatism as represented by Christian democracy!

It is no accident that "goulash fascist" Orbán was invited as a speaker to the Conservative Political Action Conference, because the US Republican Party is on the brink of becoming a Christofascist party!
Fair comment. However, it's possible to unwittingly do the bidding of those we oppose.

Orban is indeed at the vanguard of democracy's destruction. One by one, nations are being taken over by criminals who line the pockets of their family and allies while stealing from the people, all the time claiming moral high ground via hyper-conservative social policies. The standard dictator's playbook. If not resisted, toxic Christianity has the potential to lead the west in a new dark age. Erdogan's Turkey gives us a clear view of what happens when a democracy reverts to a dictatorship - economic and social ruin. Hungary, no doubt, will follow Turkey into disaster.

Eastern Europe has not yet recovered from Soviet abuses. Poland is another with weak separation between church and state.
User avatar
Sy Borg
Site Admin
Posts: 12410
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Sy Borg »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:01 pm
Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:49 pm Ethics cannot be derived "objectively"; they must rely in the end on subjective opinions.
Then we're condemned to the same chaotic moral Tower of Babel, and the same succession of idiotic ideologies, pogroms, oppressions, plundering, wars, and genocides those subjective opinions generate, and the subject should be dismissed by philosophers as non-rational and thus intellectually intractable.
It seems to me that the "objective ethics" that you have claimed to exist on this forum for some time seem to exactly coincide with your own. Coincidence?
GE Morton
Posts: 3680
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 1:06 am

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm
It seems to me that the "objective ethics" that you have claimed to exist on this forum for some time seem to exactly coincide with your own. Coincidence?
Not at all. It would be inconsistent of me not to embrace an ethics based on objective facts and the logical implications of them.
User avatar
Sy Borg
Site Admin
Posts: 12410
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Sy Borg »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:13 pm
Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:06 pm
It seems to me that the "objective ethics" that you have claimed to exist on this forum for some time seem to exactly coincide with your own. Coincidence?
Not at all. It would be inconsistent of me not to embrace an ethics based on objective facts and the logical implications of them.
However, I have pointed out many times that your views are not objective, but anthropocentric.

Anthropocentrism "offends" me, in that I see it as a cognitive distortion. I have no issue with humans putting humans first. All species do that. However, if we are being clear-eyed about ourselves, we would admit that we favour ourselves, that we tend to strict limits to our "objectivity". If other species didn't exist, then humanity would be much more objective, but still subject to what some refer to as "national solipsism".
Ecurb
Posts: 1562
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:01 pm
Then we're condemned to the same chaotic moral Tower of Babel, and the same succession of idiotic ideologies, pogroms, oppressions, plundering, wars, and genocides those subjective opinions generate, and the subject should be dismissed by philosophers as non-rational and thus intellectually intractable.
Your obsession with objectivity and logical reasoning does not appear to have improved your ability to use these tools. Why would it follow that an ethics based on subjective values would lead to idiotic ideologies, pograms, plundering, etc.? You cannot reasonably conclude that values (which you yourself point out are always subjective) must be dismissed as either conducive to morally repugnant behaviors, or as intellectually intractable. They are neither.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6485
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: August 4th, 2022, 8:26 pm
LuckyR wrote: August 4th, 2022, 7:00 pm
Perhaps you forgot but we're not discussing employer rights, we're conversing on whether the employee who actually cares about their job, acts illogically when they say offensive things publicly, knowing that there could be consequences. And then whining about said consequences (which you noted were perfectly reasonable).
As I said, it depends upon what was said and what were the consequences. That employee has no grounds for whining about that consequence.
Then we are in agreement that my example, a classic complaint about "Cancel Culture" (of course there are others too), has "no grounds".
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4637
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm The philosophies that offend me the most are those which claim objectivity.
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:25 pm Then you'd fit right in with the PM crowd. Without objectivity there would be no science, no logic, and no possibility of a rational ethics.
Even restricting ourselves to philosophy — this is a philosophy forum, after all — the word "objectivity" carries a whole spectrum of meanings, and it is highly likely that you are both using a different definition, and that your definitions are not the same as the one I'm thinking of. We need to define this term if we are to avoid the pointless semantic squabbles we have all seen so often in the past.
Ecurb wrote: August 5th, 2022, 7:49 pm Ethics cannot be derived "objectively"; they must rely in the end on subjective opinions.
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:01 pm Then we're condemned to the same chaotic moral Tower of Babel, and the same succession of idiotic ideologies, pogroms, oppressions, plundering, wars, and genocides those subjective opinions generate, and the subject should be dismissed by philosophers as non-rational and thus intellectually intractable.
And so we reach the point: 'non-objective' or 'unscientific' topics are not proper topics for discussion, and no decent philosopher would/should consider them? If our philosophies cannot meet the needs humans place upon them — i.e., (attempt to) answer the questions humans find to be important — they are useless and pointless. What use is it to Alfie if Bruno simply dismisses his concerns/interests as unworthy of attention?

Philosophy concerns any thought, topic, or idea that may be given serious consideration, without constraints or limits.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4637
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 5th, 2022, 8:00 am No, if we are reasoning precisely, nothing is "self-evident". We are not talking of an everyday 'take it for granted' here. Even an axiom is defined to be something we accept as being true without any justification. This is even more than that: its 'truth' is simply asserted — "it is self-evident" — with no mention of it being an unjustified assumption.
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm The axioms and postulates of every theory are unjustified assumptions --- which means that no justification for them is given within the theory; they're accepted as true a priori. But that doesn't mean they have no justification.
Er, yes, it does. If we had a justification for these assertions, we would use it. But, thanks to Herr Gödel, we know that any logical system is — must be — incomplete, and these assertions simply reflect that. Nevertheless, they remain unjustified.


GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm Usually the justification lies in common understanding and experience.
In other words, there isn't one. The 'justification' you describe is unfounded and unjustified.


GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm When you say, "If we are reasoning precisely, nothing is self-evident," you seem to be assuming that "self-evident" means, or implies, "analytical," or "tautologous" (logically true). That isn't what it means. Euclid's "A straight line may drawn between any two points" is not a logical truth, but it is self-evident.
A 'self-evident' proposition is its own evidence. That's a bit, er, circular, don't you think? It claims that the idea is so 'obvious' that no further explanation is required. Sloppy thinking; about as sloppy as it gets... This is not philosophy, or science either. It's just intellectual cowardice and (self-) deception. If we don't know, we should state that we don't know, and not pretend to knowledge we don't have.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Consul
Posts: 5061
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 6:32 am
Location: Germany

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:04 pmFair comment. However, it's possible to unwittingly do the bidding of those we oppose.
I think there are good reasons to reject wokeism (postmodern critical theory with its various branches), and if the liberal Leftists & Centrists are too shy or cowardly to tackle it, then only the right-wing Extremists will do so (who loathe both postmodern and non-postmodern socialism)!
Sy Borg wrote: August 5th, 2022, 9:04 pmOrban is indeed at the vanguard of democracy's destruction. One by one, nations are being taken over by criminals who line the pockets of their family and allies while stealing from the people, all the time claiming moral high ground via hyper-conservative social policies. The standard dictator's playbook. If not resisted, toxic Christianity has the potential to lead the west in a new dark age. Erdogan's Turkey gives us a clear view of what happens when a democracy reverts to a dictatorship - economic and social ruin. Hungary, no doubt, will follow Turkey into disaster.
Eastern Europe has not yet recovered from Soviet abuses. Poland is another with weak separation between church and state.
Unfortunately, there is a new plague of dictatorship: Orban, Putin, Lukashenko (Belarus), Erdogan, Xi Jinping, Bolsonaro (Brazil), Assad (Syria), Modi (India—where the far-right ideology of Hindutva is rampant).
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Post Reply

Return to “General Philosophy”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021