What philosophy offends you most?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
GE Morton

Re: What philosophy offends you most?

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:48 pm
I thought you wrote: "A proposition is objective if its truth conditions are public, i.e., anyone can perform the observation which will confirm or fail to confirm its truth." The public certainly thought they were performing observations confirming Christianity.
They thought no such thing. The Bible ("God's Word") and the assurances of priests ("God's representatives on Earth") justified their beliefs. No observations were necessary. Religion is the antithesis of empiricism.
Your premises are no more objective or self-evident than theirs.
A strangely presumptuous claim, given that I haven't stated any premises.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sculptor1 wrote: August 6th, 2022, 11:24 am
That is anthropo-exclusive since animals cannot express their own moral terms, moral judgements naturally exclude their own needs from moral rules, and are enslaved by the whims of the anthrop-
That animals can't assert their rights has no bearing on whether they have them. Neither can infants or comatose persons. Neither do moral judgments "naturally exclude" the needs of animals. That depends upon the moral theory upon which those judgments are based.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 8:45 pm
Ecurb wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:48 pm
I thought you wrote: "A proposition is objective if its truth conditions are public, i.e., anyone can perform the observation which will confirm or fail to confirm its truth." The public certainly thought they were performing observations confirming Christianity.
They thought no such thing. The Bible ("God's Word") and the assurances of priests ("God's representatives on Earth") justified their beliefs. No observations were necessary. Religion is the antithesis of empiricism.
Your premises are no more objective or self-evident than theirs.
A strangely presumptuous claim, given that I haven't stated any premises.
Feel free to state them, if you're so almighty sure of their being objective and self-evident. I assure you that in the religious ages, religion was thought to be objective and self-evident. You have merely traded one form of idolatry for another.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

By the way, I can see why you despise Post-Modernism, as it casts your false idols into the flames.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 6th, 2022, 8:59 pm
I assure you that in the religious ages, religion was thought to be objective and self-evident. You have merely traded one form of idolatry for another.
You can "assure me"? I doubt that any of those believers even knew the meanings of those terms.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 9:18 pm
Ecurb wrote: August 6th, 2022, 8:59 pm
I assure you that in the religious ages, religion was thought to be objective and self-evident. You have merely traded one form of idolatry for another.
You can "assure me"? I doubt that any of those believers even knew the meanings of those terms.
Yes -- you're so much smarter than all those great Christian Theologians, GE. You are certainly better than they at making yourself look like a conceited , know-it-all buffoon. (Although you are probably right that Augustine and Thomas Acquinas didn't speak English.)
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: August 6th, 2022, 9:00 pm By the way, I can see why you despise Post-Modernism, as it casts your false idols into the flames.
Ah, another retreat to ad hominems.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 8:49 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: August 6th, 2022, 11:24 am
That is anthropo-exclusive since animals cannot express their own moral terms, moral judgements naturally exclude their own needs from moral rules, and are enslaved by the whims of the anthrop-
That animals can't assert their rights has no bearing on whether they have them. Neither can infants or comatose persons. Neither do moral judgments "naturally exclude" the needs of animals. That depends upon the moral theory upon which those judgments are based.
Infants and comatose persons are humans and not animals and enjoy the same categorical rights as other humans. They are not animals.
Are you implying that animals have the same rights as humans?
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sculptor1 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 4:45 am
Infants and comatose persons are humans and not animals and enjoy the same categorical rights as other humans.
Well, no, they don't. They have rights to life (as do all other animals), but no rights to liberty, for instance. The actions of infants, young children, and comatose persons are mostly controlled by other persons.
They are not animals.
Huh? Are they plants?
Are you implying that animals have the same rights as humans?
No. They, like humans, have rights to whatever they have first possessed. And keep in mind that the moral question is not what rights they have, which is a factual question, but what obligations moral agents have to respect their rights.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:53 am Even restricting ourselves to philosophy — this is a philosophy forum, after all — the word "objectivity" carries a whole spectrum of meanings, and it is highly likely that you are both using a different definition, and that your definitions are not the same as the one I'm thinking of. We need to define this term if we are to avoid the pointless semantic squabbles we have all seen so often in the past.
GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 11:45 am Yes indeed. I just posted my definitions of "objective" and "subjective" in a reply to Sy (also posted many times before in other threads):

Perhaps I should reiterate what "objective" and "subjective" mean. Both terms are properties of propositions, like "true" and "false." A proposition is objective if its truth conditions are public, i.e., anyone can perform the observation which will confirm or fail to confirm its truth. E.g., "Paris is the capital of France." A subjective proposition is one whose truth conditions are private, confirmable only by the speaker, e.g., "I have a headache," "I prefer Beethoven to Mozart."
That's a perfectly workable definition of a word, but it is very different to other definitions used widely by others. To you, "objective" means 'testable', in the sense that your proposition might be verified or falsified. This meaning will surely result in confusion and misunderstanding, don't you think?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm The axioms and postulates of every theory are unjustified assumptions --- which means that no justification for them is given within the theory; they're accepted as true a priori. But that doesn't mean they have no justification.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2022, 7:12 am Er, yes, it does. If we had a justification for these assertions, we would use it. But, thanks to Herr Gödel, we know that any logical system is — must be — incomplete, and these assertions simply reflect that. Nevertheless, they remain unjustified.
GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:18 pm Sorry, but that leads to a reductio ad absurdum, namely, an infinite regress. Hence no argument could ever reach a conclusion. All theories begin from some premises assumed to be true and self-evident.
No, all theories begin from premises assumed to be true. But they are not considered or declared to be "self-evident". They are honestly declared as "axioms" or as "assumptions", making it clear that these are things we believe to be true, but which might not actually be true, because we have no conclusive proof to offer or present.

GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:18 pm And Gödel's result regarding completeness has nothing to do with the necessity for self-evident premises in theories or arguments.
Correct. Perhaps this is because there is no "necessity" for "self-evident" premises in theories or arguments?

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm Usually the justification lies in common understanding and experience.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2022, 7:12 am In other words, there isn't one. The 'justification' you describe is unfounded and unjustified.
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm Common experience doesn't justify "The sun rises in the East and sets in the West"? What, in your view, WOULD justify it?
If it is offered as a certain conclusion, then nothing could justify it. If it is offered as what it is — something that has always happened, as far as we know, and is therefore expected to continue happening in the same way — then it is already quite acceptable without any qualification.

GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm "self-evident (​ADJECTIVE):
1. obvious, and therefore not needing any explanation"
Yes, I'm as aware of such definitions as you are. I assert that such definitions continue a long-standing misunderstanding. They might be OK in everyday parlance/life, but such things are unacceptable in science or in philosophy.

Everything is either a guess/assumption/axiom/etc, or it is an assertion supported by some kind of evidence, or some logical equivalent of evidence. Nothing is "obvious" in science or philosophy; nothing at all.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2022, 11:54 am
That's a perfectly workable definition of a word, but it is very different to other definitions used widely by others. To you, "objective" means 'testable', in the sense that your proposition might be verified or falsified. This meaning will surely result in confusion and misunderstanding, don't you think?
I don't see why. What other definitions do you have in mind?

There is one other widely-used definition, where it is applied to persons, not propositions, and means that the person has reached some judgment or made some decision dispassionately, without bias, prejudice, etc. E.g., judges regularly admonish jurors to base their verdicts on the evidence presented, and not on their sympathies with the victims or feelings regarding the litigating parties.

But when doing philosophy we're asked to evaluate what someone says; all we have are the propositions he asserts.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2022, 11:54 am That's a perfectly workable definition of a word, but it is very different to other definitions used widely by others. To you, "objective" means 'testable', in the sense that your proposition might be verified or falsified. This meaning will surely result in confusion and misunderstanding, don't you think?
GE Morton wrote: August 7th, 2022, 12:18 pm I don't see why. What other definitions do you have in mind?
I have in mind the spectrum of meanings, starting from 'absolute and mind-independent correspondence with that which actually is', and ending up with meanings like "detached", "unbiased", or 'we tried our best not to be too emotional'. These are the meanings that, in philosophy, are used almost exclusively.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2022, 12:14 pm
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm The axioms and postulates of every theory are unjustified assumptions --- which means that no justification for them is given within the theory; they're accepted as true a priori. But that doesn't mean they have no justification.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 6th, 2022, 7:12 am Er, yes, it does. If we had a justification for these assertions, we would use it. But, thanks to Herr Gödel, we know that any logical system is — must be — incomplete, and these assertions simply reflect that. Nevertheless, they remain unjustified.
GE Morton wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:18 pm Sorry, but that leads to a reductio ad absurdum, namely, an infinite regress. Hence no argument could ever reach a conclusion. All theories begin from some premises assumed to be true and self-evident.
No, all theories begin from premises assumed to be true. But they are not considered or declared to be "self-evident".
We're just quibbling here about the use of that phrase. Consul (above) posted an SEP link reviewing debates in the philosophy literature as to its meaning. The author quote Lockes's definition: "Locke says that a self-evident proposition is one that 'carries its own light and evidence with it, and needs no other proof: he that understands the terms, assents to it for its own sake.'” Others have adopted that definition, but the author also cites objections, which hold that mere understanding of a proposition surely can't be evidence of its truth, or provide a reason for believing it.

The only propositions which "carry . . . evidence within it" of their truth are tautologies, e.g., "All bachelors are unmarried." Someone who disputes this needs to explain just how any other sort of evidence is "carried" within a proposition.
They are honestly declared as "axioms" or as "assumptions", making it clear that these are things we believe to be true, but which might not actually be true, because we have no conclusive proof to offer or present.
Yes, the axioms of a theory might not have been true. But the evidence that they are true is so pervasive and consistent that there is no room for doubt about it --- we simply cannot doubt them (just try to doubt that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West --- and don't confuse doubting that it does with imagining it being otherwise).

The term "self-evident" is unfortunate, because the words themselves suggest something like Locke's definition. But that is not the understanding most theoreticians have in mind when they choose the axioms for their theories. What they mean by it is "obvious, beyond reasonable doubt, compelled by the available evidence."
Correct. Perhaps this is because there is no "necessity" for "self-evident" premises in theories or arguments?
Of course there is. Unless the theory proceeds from premises whose truth is not in question there can be no confidence in the conclusion.
GE Morton wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:28 pm Common experience doesn't justify "The sun rises in the East and sets in the West"? What, in your view, WOULD justify it?
If it is offered as a certain conclusion, then nothing could justify it.
Huh? Observations and experience can't justify synthetic propositions? We can never be sure that any of them are true or false?
Yes, I'm as aware of such definitions as you are. I assert that such definitions continue a long-standing misunderstanding. They might be OK in everyday parlance/life, but such things are unacceptable in science or in philosophy.
Ah, but they're ubiquitous in both science and philosophy. For example, one axiom of General Relativity is the Equivalence Principle:

https://www.britannica.com/science/equi ... -principle

That principle certainly can be imagined not to hold, but the evidence that it does is beyond doubt. So it's taken as self-evident, in the dictionary sense.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 7th, 2022, 12:34 pm
I have in mind the spectrum of meanings, starting from 'absolute and mind-independent correspondence with that which actually is', and ending up with meanings like "detached", "unbiased", or 'we tried our best not to be too emotional'. These are the meanings that, in philosophy, are used almost exclusively.
Ah, yes, the term is used that way, by some speculative metaphysicians who have no idea "what actually is," and thus no idea how well their claims "correspond" to it. That use of "objective" is presumptuous.

Here is the dictionary definition:

"Objective (adj.):

"2: of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective

The only grounds we have for declaring something to be independent of the mind is that it is perceptible by all observers. (To "declare" something to be independent of the mind is, of course, to assert some proposition about it. That proposition will be objective if what it asserts is indeed perceptible by all observers).

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream