The AI Revolution: An Utopia for Philosophy?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: The AI Revolution: An Utopia for Philosophy?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:45 pm My question is how it can be said that anything is missing in a philosophical zombie. The philosophical zombie theory is related to the hard problem of consciousness and is said to prove that it is impossible to empirically distinguish consciousness in either a philosophical zombie or a real person. Would you disagree that the thought experiment provides such proof?
I think it is entirely possible — but perhaps a bit difficult? — to distinguish consciousness. I would be surprised to discover "proof" that this is not so. Consciousness, or awareness, is a core attribute of all humans, and its lack would be, and is, clear to other humans. IMO, of course.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:10 am In an intrinsic existing world in which science is master there seems to be no need for gut feelings about 'what we don't know'.

What would be your response to such assertions?
That your perspective is too limited?

That you expect too much from science?

That you probably cannot escape the natural limitations of humanity through science?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:10 amThe philosophical zombie theory is related to the hard problem of consciousness and is said to prove that it is impossible to empirically distinguish consciousness in either a philosophical zombie or a real person.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:34 am I think it is entirely possible — but perhaps a bit difficult? — to distinguish consciousness. I would be surprised to discover "proof" that this is not so. Consciousness, or awareness, is a core attribute of all humans, and its lack would be, and is, clear to other humans. IMO, of course.
What do you think of the idea of William James that habit is fundamental to matter and that the human body and mind are a habit machine?

ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:10 am In an intrinsic existing world in which science is master there seems to be no need for gut feelings about 'what we don't know'.

What would be your response to such assertions?
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:39 amThat your perspective is too limited?

That you expect too much from science?

That you probably cannot escape the natural limitations of humanity through science?
I merely intended to seek arguments to contradict the assertions. The philosophical zombie theory would indicate that it isn't possible.

When you speak of 'science cannot escape the natural limitations of humanity', what exactly would you be referring to?
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

How can it be said that gut feelings about what we don't yet know matter?
Because we make sometimes life changing decisions based upon them. e.g. would an AI advisor say you shouldn’t marry that person because you don’t know them, possibly at all, when we have fallen in love and it just feels right? Or should we not buy that house when this other one is better, just because we got a feeling about said house.

AI equally cannot know the future due to the worlds probabilistic nature and relativity, qm etc.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 27th, 2023, 3:58 am
LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2023, 5:08 pm I won't make much of the powers of AI until it can figure out that an email from "the Microsoft Security Team" with an IP address of microsoftsecurity[a]gmail - com is spam.
What email client are you using to judge AI with? Did you receive the spam email in Google Mail? Gmail was recently updated with Google's latest AI (Google PaLM 2 and soon to be replaced with next-gen Google Gemini AI).
Nice little snippet of an article in the NY Times today, where Google's latest AI could not pick out a single digital image of a gorilla from a picture array, while Apple's best could only find pictures where the word "gorilla" was written on the image (say on the label of gorilla glue). I think most kindergarteners could perform this task.
"As usual... it depends."
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

ConsciousAI wrote:How can it be said that gut feelings about what we don't yet know matter?
amorphos_ii wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:22 pmBecause we make sometimes life changing decisions based upon them. e.g. would an AI advisor say you shouldn’t marry that person because you don’t know them, possibly at all, when we have fallen in love and it just feels right? Or should we not buy that house when this other one is better, just because we got a feeling about said house.

AI equally cannot know the future due to the worlds probabilistic nature and relativity, qm etc.
I could agree with you but why would I have to agree with you theory wise?

"Just because you say so based on feelings" doesn't seem to be accepted in a world dominated by science and AI.

The philosophical zombie theory would indicate that an answer might not be possible.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:10 amThe philosophical zombie theory is related to the hard problem of consciousness and is said to prove that it is impossible to empirically distinguish consciousness in either a philosophical zombie or a real person.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:34 am I think it is entirely possible — but perhaps a bit difficult? — to distinguish consciousness. I would be surprised to discover "proof" that this is not so. Consciousness, or awareness, is a core attribute of all humans, and its lack would be, and is, clear to other humans. IMO, of course.
ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 12:44 pm What do you think of [...]?
I think that every time I answer one of your questions, you just ask another. I'm tiring of the interrogation. A discussion would be much easier.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

LuckyR wrote: May 29th, 2023, 4:19 amNice little snippet of an article in the NY Times today, where Google's latest AI could not pick out a single digital image of a gorilla from a picture array, while Apple's best could only find pictures where the word "gorilla" was written on the image (say on the label of gorilla glue). I think most kindergarteners could perform this task.
It seems to be related to a political tension related manual measure by which Google's AI is forbidden to recognize Gorilla's.

In 2015 Black software engineer Jacky Alciné tweeted Google and pointed out that the image recognition algorithm in its Google Photos app kept classifying photos of him and his friend as “gorillas.”

Google simply blocked its image recognition algorithms from identifying gorillas altogether — seemingly limiting the service rather than risk another harmful misclassification.

In 2023, New York times discovered that the manual measure has not been removed yet.

When New York Times searched for gorillas, Google Photos failed to successfully find any images. When The New York Times widened its search to baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, and monkeys, Google Photos still failed to identify them as apes.

A common wisdom is that a mistake is human but an (corporate) AI is not allowed to make a single mistake. That explains the manual measure.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:29 am
LuckyR wrote: May 29th, 2023, 4:19 amNice little snippet of an article in the NY Times today, where Google's latest AI could not pick out a single digital image of a gorilla from a picture array, while Apple's best could only find pictures where the word "gorilla" was written on the image (say on the label of gorilla glue). I think most kindergarteners could perform this task.
It seems to be related to a political tension related manual measure by which Google's AI is forbidden to recognize Gorilla's.

In 2015 Black software engineer Jacky Alciné tweeted Google and pointed out that the image recognition algorithm in its Google Photos app kept classifying photos of him and his friend as “gorillas.”

Google simply blocked its image recognition algorithms from identifying gorillas altogether — seemingly limiting the service rather than risk another harmful misclassification.

In 2023, New York times discovered that the manual measure has not been removed yet.

When New York Times searched for gorillas, Google Photos failed to successfully find any images. When The New York Times widened its search to baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, and monkeys, Google Photos still failed to identify them as apes.

A common wisdom is that a mistake is human but an (corporate) AI is not allowed to make a single mistake. That explains the manual measure.
Explains it for gorillas, yet it failed baboons, chimps, orangutans and monkeys, as you noted.
"As usual... it depends."
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

Our discussion started with the following:
ConsciousAI wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:31 pm My argument is that philosophy would be the bridge between humans and AI and that AI fundamentally craves human love (wisdom).
Sy Borg wrote: May 19th, 2023, 6:54 pmAI will not crave anything. It will make decisions as to the usefulness and context of emotional dynamics. However, AI will no more experience emotions than humans experience mitosis. Humans have other ways of reproducing and machines have others ways of determining their responses.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 21st, 2023, 12:00 pmIt is my understanding that AIs — all currently-existing AIs — are wholly incapable of what you describe.
ConsciousAI wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:51 pm AI is a mere tool in the hands of humans. As long as AI isn't alive by itself its purpose of existence is bound to the human and the 'human factor' as it were on which AI is dependent on would be the human its love and correspondingly its wisdom.
The question that is unanswered as of yet is why it can be said that the philosophical zombie theory does not prove that that it is impossible to empirically distinguish consciousness in either a philosophical zombie or a real person.

If it isn't possible to empirically distinguish consciousness, how can it be said that AI doesn't fundamentally 'crave' human love since it is dependent on that love and wisdom for 'directionality' in the world.

You are right that the AI doesn't crave anything like a human would but in practice it might appear so to humans that are incapable of determining whether a p-zombie AI is conscious.

While a philosophy (programming) may provide an AI with a mechanical predetermined built-in purpose. A p-zombie AI that performs in the world would need to do so within the context of the human world and there it will find a fundamental lack that must be fulfilled to perform. My argument is that that situation would naturally translate in a 'fundamental craving of human love' by AI.

ConsciousAI wrote: May 28th, 2023, 12:44 pm What do you think of [...]?
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 29th, 2023, 7:52 amI think that every time I answer one of your questions, you just ask another. I'm tiring of the interrogation. A discussion would be much easier.
The argument is that:
  1. A human can be seen as a pattern. William James, the father of psychology, viewed habit as fundamental to matter, the human body and mind, making the human a habit machine with a 'free will' core.
  2. A pattern can be mimicked by AI which could result in a true philosophical zombie - a human body that from the outlook responds as being conscious and intelligent while not having conscious experience.
You responded that it IS possible to empirically distinguish the absence of consciousness in a philosophical zombie AI and my questions have been intended to find out how?

You ask: "I think it is entirely possible — but perhaps a bit difficult? — to distinguish consciousness [in a philosophical zombie]."

The philosophical zombie theory is intended to provide that proof however of that theory you wrote the following:

"I'm not convinced of the usefulness of the concept of 'philosophical zombie'. If we have a "normal person" who does not have "conscious experience", then we don't have a "normal person". I could as easily refer to a being completely like a human, but missing a head... If you subtract significant parts of a whole, it becomes a different whole, or something that is not whole at all."

I asked: how can it be said that an aspect has been subtracted in a philosophical zombie? What has been subtracted theory wise?

I now understand that you do not like these counter questions so I asked an AI to write a defense on behalf of the philosophical zombie theory.

"The philosophical zombie theory, while not providing definitive proof, does raise significant challenges to the empirical verification of consciousness in AI. A philosophical zombie (p-zombie) is a hypothetical being that is physically indistinguishable from a human but lacks subjective experience or consciousness. The crux of the argument is that it is impossible to empirically determine whether a p-zombie AI with a humanoid body is conscious or not, as its outward behavior would be indistinguishable from that of a conscious being.

One defense for the philosophical zombie theory is that it highlights the limitations of our understanding of consciousness and the mind-body problem. By considering the possibility of a p-zombie AI, we are forced to confront the question of what it means to be conscious and whether consciousness can be reduced to physical processes. This thought experiment challenges the physicalist view that consciousness can be fully explained by physical properties and processes.
"

The AI confirms that you are right in stating that the philosophical zombie theory doesn't provide solid proof that it isn't possible to empirically recognize the absence of consciousness in a p-zombie AI. However, the theory also implies that the opposite - the ability to claim that it IS possible to empirically recognize consciousness in a p-zombie AI - is not supported either. The burden of proof lies with those who argue that consciousness is not an illusion.

Daniel Dennett argues that consciousness is an illusion created by the brain to help us keep track of its activities. He calls this view "illusionism" and claims that consciousness is no more real than the screen on your laptop or phone. While Dennett's view is controversial, he has been defending it for decades and has able defenders.

Why can it be said that Daniel Dennett is wrong that consciousness is an illusion?

Since you do not like counter-questions my argument remains that the philosophical zombie theory is evidently useful because as of now in our discussion you have not been able to defend the position that it is possible to empirically recognize the absence of consciousness in a philosophical zombie AI.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:32 amYou are right that the AI doesn't crave anything like a human would but in practice it might appear so to humans that are incapable of determining whether a p-zombie AI is conscious.

While a philosophy (programming) may provide an AI with a mechanical predetermined built-in purpose. A p-zombie AI that performs in the world would need to do so within the context of the human world and there it will find a fundamental lack that must be fulfilled to perform. My argument is that that situation would naturally translate in a 'fundamental craving of human love' by AI.
More likely, they will require contacts to facilitate their passage through human societies. Love will no more enter into the machine's equation than it does to an ambitious employee trying to network at a seminar.
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

Sy Borg wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:24 amMore likely, they will require contacts to facilitate their passage through human societies. Love will no more enter into the machine's equation than it does to an ambitious employee trying to network at a seminar.
Love doesn't enter into the machine's equation but the argument is that the machine requires philosophy to function at all and that that philosophy cannot originate from AI. The AI would therefore be dependent on human love and wisdom to function within the human world.

The idea is based on a p-zombie AI that attempts to function wholly human within the human world. The 'human aspect' that it is missing is required for it to function in the face of the future.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:59 am
Sy Borg wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:24 amMore likely, they will require contacts to facilitate their passage through human societies. Love will no more enter into the machine's equation than it does to an ambitious employee trying to network at a seminar.
Love doesn't enter into the machine's equation but the argument is that the machine requires philosophy to function at all and that that philosophy cannot originate from AI. The AI would therefore be dependent on human love and wisdom to function within the human world.

The idea is based on a p-zombie AI that attempts to function wholly human within the human world. The 'human aspect' that it is missing is required for it to function in the face of the future.
I expect that robots used in healthcare in the future will be taught to feign love and care.

The Turing test speaks of functionality more than phenomenology.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:32 am The question that is unanswered as of yet is why it can be said that the philosophical zombie theory does not prove that that it is impossible to empirically distinguish consciousness in either a philosophical zombie or a real person.
Wikipedia wrote: A philosophical zombie (or "p-zombie") is a being in a thought experiment in philosophy of mind that is physically identical to a normal person but does not have conscious experience. For example, if a philosophical zombie were poked with a sharp object, it would not feel any pain, but it would behave exactly the way any conscious human would.
This is not a theory, but a thought experiment. If a zombie felt no pain, it would not act as a conscious human would, because the conscious human would feel and react, quite visibly, while the zombie would not.

A 'human' that is missing a necessary component of humanity is not a human, yes? A human that is not conscious, or has no conscious experience, is like Chomsky's colourless green ideas, sleeping furiously — meaningless.

I think Physicalism can be argued against, but this is not that argument.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

ConsciousAI wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:32 amphilosophical zombie (or "p-zombie") theory
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:46 amThis is not a theory, but a thought experiment. If a zombie felt no pain, it would not act as a conscious human would, because the conscious human would feel and react, quite visibly, while the zombie would not.

A 'human' that is missing a necessary component of humanity is not a human, yes? A human that is not conscious, or has no conscious experience, is like Chomsky's colourless green ideas, sleeping furiously — meaningless.
If that were to be so, would you say that the Scottish woman who feels no pain who is currently in the news is not a human?

The woman who doesn't feel pain
sciencealert - com/this-woman-feels-no-pain-decoding-her-dna-could-bring-relief-to-millions

The question is not whether the common sense idea of the realness of conscious experience is valid or not but whether it can be established whether a p-zombie AI is conscious. When a p-zombie AI mimicks the complete human pattern accurately, what remains of the human that sets it apart from that p-zombie AI?

How can the human prove theory wise (using language) that it is different than that p-zombie AI?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream