The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Universal Language..why not?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: Universal Language..why not?

Post by Atreyu » November 6th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Rainman wrote:
August 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm
I always wondered why humanity didn't decide to choose one universal language and have everyone learn it as their second language? That way, within a few years, everyone on Earth could speak to each other without translators. I looked at Interlingua and such attempts to blend different languages and, to me, that is the wrong way to go about it. We need to invent a totally new language...a simple, basic language made up of simple sounds and symbols. It should be a straightforward "subject-verb-object" type of language with easy-to-make oral sounds. It would form the basics for everyone and then each country or culture could add on it's own culture specific words.
But such a language already exists.

It's usually called "mathematics" or "symbolism". For example, the symbol for infinity is universal. So are many other symbols....