Re: Why has man been described as the scum of the universe?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Fairwinds
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: Why has man been described as the scum of the universe?

Post by Fairwinds »

Blaine Pascal is quoted as saying " what a chimera then is man. What a novelty, what a monster, what a chaos, what a contradiction, what a prodigy! Judge of all things, feeble earthworm, repository of truth, sewer of uncertainty and error, the glory and the scum of the earth. "

This strong statement sums it all up for me, particularly the indictment at the end, and the evidence is all around. Will it ever change?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why man been described as the scum of the universe?

Post by Sy Borg »

The writer appears to be disappointed that humanity, the first species to achieve this kind of abstract intelligence, failed to learn its lessons quickly enough.

I don't judge. In evolutionary time scales we are fledglings, and there was no precedent to draw upon. Do some research on the torture methods of indigeneous and ancient peoples, or the behaviour of the Egyptian Pharaohs. It might not seem like it, but we've come a long way.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

The difference between humans and other animals are self-conscious and higher power of rationality. It is these two mental faculties that enable self-conscious-humans in the present state to reflect they are they are scum of the universe. Non-human animals do not have such thinking and reflection at all when they bring all sorts of destruction [diseases, killing and eating humans, plague, etc.] to humans.

While humans are evolving with self-consciousness to be aware of their own evilness, humans are also evolving with an continuous improving moral faculty. [note mirror neurons, etc.] As humans evolve towards the future, the average moral quotient will increase slowly. What is critical is for humanity to find ways and methods to expedite the moral quotient of the average person and thus the collective.

So, yes, based on pass trend, changes and improvements for the better will happen.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Fairwinds wrote:Blaine Pascal is quoted as saying " what a chimera then is man. What a novelty, what a monster, what a chaos, what a contradiction, what a prodigy! Judge of all things, feeble earthworm, repository of truth, sewer of uncertainty and error, the glory and the scum of the earth. "

This strong statement sums it all up for me, particularly the indictment at the end, and the evidence is all around. Will it ever change?
Actually we're the scum of the earth, not the universe. Sounds kind of harsh until you realize we're also the glory of the earth, so it kind of averages out.
"As usual... it depends."
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

There were a couple of 'typos' in my original question and answer. The Gent who made the intriguing statement was Blaise Pascal, French catholic child genius, according to his biography. The final line should read universe and not Earth.

Personally, I see a lot of substance in his statement. Yes, mankind has improved or advanced in the reduction of crude violence around the world, but this fact is due to the spread of education, information and advances in living standards leading in turn to a desire to protect property, life, and life style. What interests me, and what is so depressing, is the shallow veneer of civilisation, which is easily scratched. Witness the rapid decline to savage behaviour when an emergency arises, a simple example being the aggression shown in a petrol queue when a shortage arises. There are countless examples of man's greed and disregard for fellow man or more importantly, his surroundings. Pascal recognised the upside and paid tribute in his statement, but the final indictment of ' scum of the Universe' seems well deserved and accurate.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Fairwinds wrote:What interests me, and what is so depressing, is the shallow veneer of civilisation, which is easily scratched. Witness the rapid decline to savage behaviour when an emergency arises, a simple example being the aggression shown in a petrol queue when a shortage arises. There are countless examples of man's greed and disregard for fellow man or more importantly, his surroundings. Pascal recognised the upside and paid tribute in his statement, but the final indictment of ' scum of the Universe' seems well deserved and accurate.
I have repeated this hypothesis many times ; i.e.
  • 1. DNA wise ALL humans has the potential to be evil [as defined].

2. A percentile [say conservatively 20% = 1.4 billion :shock: ] are born with quite active tendency to commit evil.
So it is naturally humans [not all] will get aggressive and violent easily when they perceived any threat [physically or mentally].
What is most pathetic is where religious believers [300 million] get aggressive when inspired by doctrines from a supposedly illusory God. Note people are killed merely from drawing of cartoons and seemingly petty issues.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

There is the aggression, but there is also the selfishness, greed, and stupidity. This exists alongside brilliance and stunning creativity. The inexorable move towards polluting the whole planet seems unstoppable, despite the so called cleverness of mankind. The evidence grows stronger with time that man is indeed, " the scum of the Universe".
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Fairwinds wrote:There were a couple of 'typos' in my original question and answer. The Gent who made the intriguing statement was Blaise Pascal, French catholic child genius, according to his biography. The final line should read universe and not Earth.

Personally, I see a lot of substance in his statement. Yes, mankind has improved or advanced in the reduction of crude violence around the world, but this fact is due to the spread of education, information and advances in living standards leading in turn to a desire to protect property, life, and life style. What interests me, and what is so depressing, is the shallow veneer of civilisation, which is easily scratched. Witness the rapid decline to savage behaviour when an emergency arises, a simple example being the aggression shown in a petrol queue when a shortage arises. There are countless examples of man's greed and disregard for fellow man or more importantly, his surroundings. Pascal recognised the upside and paid tribute in his statement, but the final indictment of ' scum of the Universe' seems well deserved and accurate.
It always makes me chuckle when a member of a group (humans in this case) pontificate that the group is this or that negative thing, and don't acknowledge that they themselves should fall under the same description, as if they were magically exempt.
"As usual... it depends."
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

If that was meant for my post, it is inaccurate! I should have made it clear that we are all in this together, naturally it must include the writer. (Aliens excluded!). Was hoping that some counter arguments would be posted showing how mankind cannot be regarded as ' the scum of the universe' it is a desperate plea to be proved wrong. Is the evidence against US too overwhelming?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

You lot are hard markers. What do you expect?

Try Googling for ancient torture methods and marvel at how far we humans have come since then!

If all that makes you think even less of humans, then watch more nature documentaries or read up about how other species live their lives. Consider insects; almost every predator eats its insect victim alive.

Life simply is intrinsically incredibly brutal. This is why some people become antinatalists, believing thatthe suffering of life is such that it would be more merciful if the rocks never came alive. More positively, that humans have managed to partly gentrify and reduce life's torments for so many is a remarkable achievement, perhaps unprecedented in nature.

I do not know a single person who would want to be reincarnated. Why not? The horrid prospect of going through the trials and fears of childhood and/or the teens all over again. Basically life sucks at first but, without undue mishaps, it tends to settle down and improve. I think this is also the case on a macro scale - that humanity itself is young and immature, with the very worst of times behind us and the very best of times ahead ( without undue mishaps).
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

Great post, with plenty of interesting thoughts. Thank you. I find it a great mental challenge to imagine the - ' very best of times ahead. '. No doubt there will be huge and astonishing advances in technology benefitting mankind. The key is the reference to " undue mishaps". These might take many forms, some completely out of the control of mere humans. However, the cleverness of us humans might well not extend to safeguarding future generations on the planet. No need to make a list here - the current issue raised by David Attenborough about the disaster of plastic ingestion by birds is a taster. I feel worse is to come, and cannot understand why us ' brilliant' humans cannot regulate and control our own actions?

The nub of my belief in humans being the ' scum of the Universe' is consistent with the knowledge that even should a pristine planet be handed over to ongoing generations by some miracle or superhuman effort, greed and selfishness would likely still kick in to the detriment of all.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

"the glory and the scum"

Yep. We ain't paragons but sure ain't wretched either. The miracle of humanity and civilized society is that it exists at all. I am not inclined to cry and wail about how awful we all are. Far from it, I think we're pretty damn fantastic (albeit naïve and prone to making mistakes.)

The most deprived depths dwelling within us all give us the strength to transcend them. Wired to be overly optimistic what else can we do but try and be better than we are?
AKA badgerjelly
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

This is the dilemma. If by a huge effort, or by organisation, a group or individual succeed in living to long term goals based on continuity, it could be worthless. Any amount of rational enlightenment aimed at preserving the planet for future generations is likely to fail miserably given the inherent nature of the human animal. Maybe, some cosmic event will eventually make all discussion irrelevant.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fairwinds wrote:I find it a great mental challenge to imagine the - ' very best of times ahead. '.
The key is to ask whose descendants are going to enjoy the best of times and whose will fall away.

As you know, the sixth great extinction (biosphere restructure) is under way. When the future is discussed in this context, humanity is often referred to by the word "we", as though humanity has a shared fate. Look at the rising inequality and the rapid slowing of the "trickle down".
Fairwinds wrote:However, the cleverness of us humans might well not extend to safeguarding future generations on the planet.
I doubt it will be needed. In one billion years the Sun will have heated enough to boil off the oceans. Presumably the Earth's surface would have been sterilised long before that, given that a mere 10C increase would be catastrophic. Even without humans, the biosphere is nearing the end of its life. About four billion years old with less than a quarter of its life left. The biosphere is entering its dotage.

With human rapidly burning fossil fuels, warming is happening earlier than it otherwise had done. However, it's clear that the biological phase of Earth is coming to its end. If humans can get their act together then at least the biosphere can move into a "reproductive phase" before it dies, with space bound AI probes containing Earth material being sent out to seed other worlds.

Without humans, life would simply be extinguished and start again. If AI probes seed other worlds then the evolution would be greatly accelerated, being built upon complex modern DNA so, in a sense, the story that began about four billion years ago can continue rather than start over from scratch.
Fairwinds

Post by Fairwinds »

Love this prognosis which I find very credible. It raises a few questions in my mind, one of which is " will mankind trash the earth and its atmosphere long before any biological phase ends? It looks very likely at the present. Or can mankind agree to cooperate suffuciently to reign in all the exuberant excesses that are eradicating species and polluting everything? If Blaise Pascal is right ( and who knows) ' the scum of the Universe' will destroy our pleasant land and present day lives, long before the inevitable transformation through million and billions of years.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream