The Rational Choice?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Burning ghost

Re: The Rational Choice?

Post by Burning ghost »

Chili -

It's a hypothetical question.

Greta -

Sound a little lazy don't you think?
AKA badgerjelly
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Burning ghost wrote:Which track do you take?
I can't see any rational results from the case your presented as 'several people' is too vague and there is no time limit indicated.
If you want a 'rational' answer, then your case must be very precise.

I would add the following to make it more precise;
1. Each potential murderer comes from a village with 1000 people excluding themselves.
2. Time limit is within one year.
3. Assume the decision maker is not a psychopath but an average Joe.

Since no further details, I would link the 70% of the murderer on track A to potentially 700 being killed within a year.

In the case of track %, each has the potential to kill 500 each, thus the cumulative is 1000 people dead.

Rationally, based on what is given, if no choice, I will pull lever B to get rid of the two men, i.e. the consequences of 1,000 dead over 700 dead.

Generally such casuistry [trolley] cases are raised in discussions of the Philosophy of Morality, but I believe the casuistry cases [if taken seriously] are the worst type approach to deliberate re Morality. The limitation is the possibility of the types of cases in infinite and if any one is thrown into an emergency there is no time to think, compute and rationalize.

The most effective approach to Morality & Ethics is the holistic Framework & System approach.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Spectrum -

Seen as you've not read the repsonses PLEASE don't go back and check them over and look at this alteration first:

Simply change it to person on track A has a 70% likelihood to kill just ONE person and the two on track B EACH have a 50% likelihood to kill one person.

So now it is not a case of "several".

-- Updated October 14th, 2017, 12:49 am to add the following --
Maxcady10001 wrote:You have changed the question, asking me if I would choose, if I knew both tracks had people who would not commit murder. Would I rather kill one or two innocent people? I'm not sure, but is this question one of utilitarianism? But honestly I still would not act, as I don't believe in murder by omission. I also would not feel responsible, because I had no hand in any of the circumstances leading up to this. I also don't believe in moral responsibility. If I did I would have to spend my entire life in servitude. Have you ever heard of the drowning girl thought experiment, where a girl is drowning and if you are willing to spend the energy saving her, logically you should donate to charity? It was devised by Peter Singer. You can easily expand on that and say you should also be willing to do a lot more. Also, do you believe the people in that situation would advocate for their own lives if they could interact with you? Would the one person on track A say kill me and save them?
Not acting is an act. Not choosing is a choice.

If you knew the track you were on would kill 100 people and the other track would kill one person would you still do nothing?
AKA badgerjelly
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Not acting is an act, but it does not saddle me with the consequences of what I haven't taken action on. If it could I would be responsible for a lot since there are plenty of times when I have not taken action. Are you responsible for the homeless man who freezes to death because he does not have shelter, when you could have sheltered him?
Even if it were a hundred lives to one, how is the value of a hundred lives worth more than one? I don't believe value decisions on life can be made by numbers, unless you pushed the number up to seven billion, then I would choose by the number out of my own survival. But could the argument be made one Nietzsche is worth one hundred lives? If he was one track and a hundred people were on another could you still pull the lever? My answer is still not to do anything, choosing the track the train is on, unless it became about the human race's survival, but then you would have to change the example from a train.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta:
It's more realistic to imagine that the percentages aren't known, so all one would see is three people tied to the tracks. Thus the option would be to kill one person or two.
It may be more realistic but it would spoil the trick. The point is to get distracted by the numbers into trying to calculate how many "innocent" lives you can save by killing "guilty" men, but, in so doing, forgetting the obvious fact that those men are not actually guilty of anything. The trick worked on me and RJG. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. You clearly didn't fall for it.

It partly reminds me of the moral point made by the film "Minority Report". Judging people for crimes that they haven't yet committed.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve -

I don't think Greta did see it? If so then I am not sure how Greta could say there is too small a difference.

If you choose track A then there is a 100% chance of one death, a 50% chance of two deaths, and a 25% chance of three deaths.

If you choose track B then there is 0% chance of one death, 100% chance of two deaths, and 70% chance of three deaths.

For this reason I would say the differences between the two choices are quite different. Also, it requires you to jump back and forth between mathematical logic and a human perspective.

-- Updated October 14th, 2017, 10:33 am to add the following --

Could even push this problem and make it really unbelievable by saying the chance of person on track A killing is 40% and persons on track B is increased to 80% chance of killing. Strangely enough at face value the figures of 25% and 60%, for A person and B persons respectively, looks like even more of a fine line, but it isn't!

Even here taking track A would result in lowest chance of a higher death toll!
AKA badgerjelly
Chili

Post by Chili »

This is like the "ticking bomb" scenario to justify torture.

"Ticking bomb" is SO hypothetical, and yet it will be used to comfort those who would like to act in all kinds of situations where the knowledge is *very* imperfect.

Generally, you should treat them as innocents and kill the fewest. If you personally know all of these people, and have seen with your own eyes that they go around with random-number generators, killing people or trying to, or have a "rational good reason" to believe so, then you should use mathematics & logic to decide.
RJG

Post by RJG »

If "several" = 3 or less, then Track A is best to take (less total dead people), else if "several" = 4 or more, then take Track B.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

You are presented with a choice between your life and the lives of others, either you die or ten other people die. The ten people that die are chosen at random from the global population, excluding you if you choose to save yourself. How would you choose?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote:Here is the situation (one you may be somewhat familiar with) ...

You are on a train track and can pull a lever to change tracks. No matter what you do you have to choose either track A or track B.

On track A there is a man who is 70% likely to murder several people.
On track B there are two men who are both 50% likely to murder several people.

Which track do you take?
Who cares? They're all going to die sooner or later anyway. Besides they're murderers, couldn't we find a way to kill all of them? Or maybe leave the switch alone, kill A with the train, pull out a gun, run down to B and shoot the other two guys.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR wrote:
Burning ghost wrote:Here is the situation (one you may be somewhat familiar with) ...

You are on a train track and can pull a lever to change tracks. No matter what you do you have to choose either track A or track B.

On track A there is a man who is 70% likely to murder several people.
On track B there are two men who are both 50% likely to murder several people.

Which track do you take?
Who cares? They're all going to die sooner or later anyway. Besides they're murderers, couldn't we find a way to kill all of them? Or maybe leave the switch alone, kill A with the train, pull out a gun, run down to B and shoot the other two guys.
Incorrect. They are not all murderers.

That is the point and that is exactly what everyone seems to fall for every time ;)

Thanks for taking part.
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Incorrect. They are not all murderers.

That is the point and that is exactly what everyone seems to fall for every time ;)

Thanks for taking part.
Oh, I don't know. Do you want your daughter marrying a guy who has a 50% chance of murdering someone? I don't. If you don't either, why not? Uummm... because he's a (potential) murderer. A non-conundrum.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR -

"Potential" is the thing I was getting at.

It is true that "murder" is bad. So I understand that you may choose to kill those people. Like you mentioned if you added a personal context to the situation then the whole situation changes and I imagine many people would be willing to let numerous people die to save what they treasure.

The hypothetical does not address any of these points, so you're in a position where the potential murders are only potential and to measure them against other people and make assumptions about the average chance of someone committing murder may be valid.

I could refine the hypothesis to say that not killing these people may result in the deaths of others.

Someone else has pointed this out to me elsewhere. It does kind of distract from the assumed guilty prior to any action morality. What is more is that you'd be letting someone live with a higher chance of committing murder and if they had a higher chance then they'd likely be a nastier person (by your argumentation). I would rather my hypothetical daughter marry someone with a 50% chance of committing murder than a 70% chance of committing murder. Then the problem is simply about calculating the chance of my daughter marrying such a person and calculating this chance by knowing the size of the population we're living in. if two are alive in a population of 1 million I would judge it much more likely she'd meet person A or either of persons B.

So if you're making judgements compared to a real world situation based on your own daughters life then I'd still go for A because she is not likely to marry two people.

Thanks for making me think :)
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote:LuckyR -

"Potential" is the thing I was getting at.

It is true that "murder" is bad. So I understand that you may choose to kill those people. Like you mentioned if you added a personal context to the situation then the whole situation changes and I imagine many people would be willing to let numerous people die to save what they treasure.

The hypothetical does not address any of these points, so you're in a position where the potential murders are only potential and to measure them against other people and make assumptions about the average chance of someone committing murder may be valid.

I could refine the hypothesis to say that not killing these people may result in the deaths of others.

Someone else has pointed this out to me elsewhere. It does kind of distract from the assumed guilty prior to any action morality. What is more is that you'd be letting someone live with a higher chance of committing murder and if they had a higher chance then they'd likely be a nastier person (by your argumentation). I would rather my hypothetical daughter marry someone with a 50% chance of committing murder than a 70% chance of committing murder. Then the problem is simply about calculating the chance of my daughter marrying such a person and calculating this chance by knowing the size of the population we're living in. if two are alive in a population of 1 million I would judge it much more likely she'd meet person A or either of persons B.

So if you're making judgements compared to a real world situation based on your own daughters life then I'd still go for A because she is not likely to marry two people.

Thanks for making me think :)
Are you trying to present a statistics problem, a syntactical problem or an ethical problem (or a trick question)?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR -

Yes :)

The point of the exercise was to see if anyone ignored the deaths of the people on the track and only concerned themselves with the lives they could save deeming the potential murderers as irrelevant.

Of course it bring up many other questions not specifically exposed by the information presented. That is the general use of a hypothetical. You turn it over and over until you feel you;ve covered the above three things you mentioned (and the semantics.)

Even now I am thinking of many other things this has uncovered. Is death at the hands of a murderer goin gto be worse then being run down by a train? Are the people hit by the train going to die instantly or suffer for days in agony? Would being killed by another human being be "better" or "worse" in every circumstance regardless if you wished to decrease suffering?

What is always apparent to me is that if the decision is confusing or vague (like life generally is) people cannot help but guess at other factors involved that are not mentioned in the original problem. If I merely said is it better to let a nice guy live his life or to brutally murder him with a machete, we'd find it quite difficult (but not absolutely impossible) to disagree.

Like I have said already, a number of posts back, I made this because someone said that emotions mostly play a negative role in rational thought, so I decided to turn the tables and make it so that a purely logical mindset ignored the human factor.

note: I amended the problem to one person being murdered from "several" after Steve's reply so he could see the issue. Elsewhere I have posted it with just "one person" being killed and still people tend to ignore the deaths of the people on the track because they are distracted by the math (one or two people see beyond the numbers.)
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream