What are the Gods of man?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: What are the Gods of man?

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: February 15th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Greta wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Nope, it's more than fair - it's a call to accountability that is long overdue.

Times have changed. Christians do not revere nature at all, not today (though no doubt a cowed and invisible minority exists in their ranks, too afraid to speak out). Christians, for the most part, see ecosystems and other animals as nothing more than resources for "divine" humans.

Part of this is due to the natural Christian antipathy for science because the latter kept exposing falsehoods in the ancient doctrine.

Today, the vast majority of Christians are vehemently against any political party that aims to reduce the rush of extinctions and destruction of ecosystems. This is indisputable. How often in the last four years have you heard Christians speaking out publicly to protest against extinctions and to protect ecosystems? How many speak out on those issues? I haven't heard of any. Contrast this silence with their noisy enthusiasm for demonising gay people or young women seeking abortions.

Christians have had numerous chances to show how much that they "revere the Earth", and they have failed to do so every single time, and over a period spanning many decades. This is not just the case in the US but in all western countries.

If I seem especially miffed about this, I am. If Christians actually cared about other species and ecosystems that would be a huge boost for the beleaguered natural world - it would be a tipping point that would ensure action. But they will not help. It's too much fun kicking LGBTIQ people.
Malarky! The pope -- who leads the Christian Church with by far the most members -- issued an environmental enyclical five years ago, calling environmental degradation "sinful". In his encyclical he wrote (among other things) that Christians "must forcibly reject the notion that our being created in God's image and given domination over the earth justifies absolute domination over other creatures." Here's a Washington Post article about his encyclical: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... vironment/

Let's not assume that the Evangelical and Fundamentlist wings of the Christian movement represent the entire movement, or, indeed, that they march in lock step on environmental issues.
Shouting "malarkey" adds nothing but amusement, at best. Referring to Dawkins et al as "The New Atheists" betrays an odd hostility for a self-professed atheist, given that RD and the others have often said that they reject that label, and it's thus rarely used by secular people.

Your response ultimately fails to address the issue. A tepid statement by the Pope about the natural environment once per decade does not compare with the regular incandescent attacks on gays and women's choices by those under him, seemingly sanctioned by him.

When I see Christians vote en masse in favour of the environment - rather than against it, which has long been the norm - then I will believe that Christians care about the environment. At this stage, I see a rush away from the traditional churches to rapidly-growing Pentecostalism, that is now very closely tied to Trumpism. Here's a sample of his evangelist "spiritual advisor" (who appears to have no problems with Trump's anti-environment policies, or shamelessly demanding money so people can buy their ticket to heaven).

Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Greta wrote: February 16th, 2021, 1:19 am
Shouting "malarkey" adds nothing but amusement, at best. Referring to Dawkins et al as "The New Atheists" betrays an odd hostility for a self-professed atheist, given that RD and the others have often said that they reject that label, and it's thus rarely used by secular people.

Your response ultimately fails to address the issue. A tepid statement by the Pope about the natural environment once per decade does not compare with the regular incandescent attacks on gays and women's choices by those under him, seemingly sanctioned by him.

I'm sorry I didn't use whatever term (and pronoun) Richard Dawkins prefers. I just didn't know.

The pope's "tepid" defense of the environment is somehow nulified by his "incandescent" attacks on gay's and women's rights. The metaphors don't seem to be the only things that are mixed up. How is the Church's positiion on gay rights relevant to its position on the environment? Must environmentalists march in lockstep on a whole slew of social issues, or is it possible to want to protect the environment, and think that fornication remains a sin?

I didn't watch the video from Trump's spiritual advisor. I watch too much TV already, and I don't see how it could possibly be relevant to the discussion. I doubt that Trump would choose a radical environmentalist as his spiritual advisor.

As an aside about your "New Atheist" crack, here in Eugene, Oregon there's a war memorial. It's a slab of polished stone, inscribed with the names of Lane County residents who have died in military action. They are divided by which war killed them: WW1, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, and then (here's the problem) "Operation Iraqi Freedom" and "Operation Enduring Freedom Afghanistan".

Propagandists want to choose the labels by which they (and others) will be called. But the rest of us need not comply. The idiotic propaganda names for the last two "operations" don't honor the dead, they insult them. Over time, propaganda labels become so instilled in the minds of the public that it makes sense to use them. An example of that is "pro life" and "pro choice". But if the media hadn't capitulated to the porpagandists in the first place, those titles wouldn't have gained traction. I'm not sure why Dawkins objects to "New Atheist" -- he'd probably prefer a propagandizing label of his own choosing -- but we need not comply.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: February 16th, 2021, 11:58 am
Greta wrote: February 16th, 2021, 1:19 am

I'm sorry I didn't use whatever term (and pronoun) Richard Dawkins prefers. I just didn't know.

The pope's "tepid" defense of the environment is somehow nulified by his "incandescent" attacks on gay's and women's rights. The metaphors don't seem to be the only things that are mixed up. How is the Church's positiion on gay rights relevant to its position on the environment? Must environmentalists march in lockstep on a whole slew of social issues, or is it possible to want to protect the environment, and think that fornication remains a sin?
Why are you asking this question? Are you really unaware of opportunity costs? It's obvious that all churches are much more interested in promoting the rejection of gays than promoting environmental protection.

If churches put the same passion into protecting the environment that they pot into attacking gays and women needing abortions, there would be some hope for the next generation. As things stand, the latest generations have no hope for the future at all, and for good reason.
Ecurb wrote: February 16th, 2021, 11:58 amI didn't watch the video from Trump's spiritual advisor. I watch too much TV already, and I don't see how it could possibly be relevant to the discussion. I doubt that Trump would choose a radical environmentalist as his spiritual advisor.
A few minutes of your time. Go on, watch it and see the kind of insanity and corruption that penetrated the corridors of power in the name of the church.

Not sure why you are so hostile towards Dawkins. Many millions of young people have been saved from the fear of hell thanks to his efforts. Until the church's ugly and manipulative teachings were challenged, may young people suffered deep trauma from the idea that they could go to hell. Helping to save people from superstitious fear is a good thing, yes? No?
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Greta wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:03 pm
Why are you asking this question? Are you really unaware of opportunity costs? It's obvious that all churches are much more interested in promoting the rejection of gays than promoting environmental protection.

If churches put the same passion into protecting the environment that they pot into attacking gays and women needing abortions, there would be some hope for the next generation. As things stand, the latest generations have no hope for the future at all, and for good reason.
I don't see that as a reasonable comparison. It's sort of like Christopher Hitchens slamming Mother Theresa for failing to offer medical care at her hospices. Mother Theresa was a nun, not a doctor. Her role as a nun was to offer love and spiritual care, not medicine. Criticizing churches for a failure to preach environmentalism is like criticizing Mother Theresa for failing to practice medicine. It's a non sequitur. I don't practice medicine, either, and neither did Hitchens. If you want to criticize churches for their political activism opposing abortion rights or gay marriage -- fine. But what's the Pope supposed to do about the environment other than what he has done?

A few minutes of your time. Go on, watch it and see the kind of insanity and corruption that penetrated the corridors of power in the name of the church.

Not sure why you are so hostile towards Dawkins. Many millions of young people have been saved from the fear of hell thanks to his efforts. Until the church's ugly and manipulative teachings were challenged, may young people suffered deep trauma from the idea that they could go to hell. Helping to save people from superstitious fear is a good thing, yes? No?

I'm not particularly hostile toward Dawkins When I taught "Introduction to Anthropology" as a grad student I assigned his book "The Selfish Gene". But he (like you) seems to pick the easiest religious targets to criticize. I feel like telling him to pick on someone his own size. Except I don't think he'd be able to. (Hitchens, by the way, was a public intellectual and I blame him for his approach more than I blame Dawkins. He should have known better.)
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

OK. I watched the first 3 minutes of your video (after that I couldn't take it any more). The lady is a lunatic. Is that really whom you want to argue against as representing the Christian worldview? If it is, I'd tell you (as I'd tell Dawkins), "She is not worthy of your steel. Find a more worthy adversary."
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

Like the hound of hell, the monster has many heads.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

popeye1945 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 10:58 pm Like the hound of hell, the monster has many heads.
Good one!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: February 16th, 2021, 10:13 pm
Greta wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:03 pm

I don't see that as a reasonable comparison. It's sort of like Christopher Hitchens slamming Mother Theresa for failing to offer medical care at her hospices. Mother Theresa was a nun, not a doctor. Her role as a nun was to offer love and spiritual care, not medicine. Criticizing churches for a failure to preach environmentalism is like criticizing Mother Theresa for failing to practice medicine.
A false comparison.
While Genesis 1:26-28 suggests that human beings have a special role within Creation, it does not necessarily follow that they have more value than the rest of Creation. One interpretation of how human beings bear the image of God (and the most popular view among Old Testament scholars today) says that human beings are like God because they perform the functions of God and are God’s representatives. As God’s representatives, Genesis 1:26-28 indicates more of a caretaking or stewardship role. Traditionally, these were known as the dominion verses. A more accurate description may be the stewardship verses. Rather than giving human beings rights over nature, these verses give us the responsibility to care for nature in a way that is consistent with God’s will.
Nor do I see how the churchmen can consider themselves to be experts on human sexuality and natural diversity. But they speak about human sexuality more than just about anything else. Meanwhile, homosexuality plays only a minor role in the Bible's admonitions - along with eating shellfish. Also, scholars believe many of these admonitions related to the rape of prisoners or war as an act of degradation.

Ecurb wrote: February 16th, 2021, 10:13 pm
I'm not particularly hostile toward Dawkins When I taught "Introduction to Anthropology" as a grad student I assigned his book "The Selfish Gene". But he (like you) seems to pick the easiest religious targets to criticize. I feel like telling him to pick on someone his own size. Except I don't think he'd be able to. (Hitchens, by the way, was a public intellectual and I blame him for his approach more than I blame Dawkins. He should have known better.)
It's not true that I look for any targets to criticise. They presented themselves to me loud and clear.

As an agnostic, and presumably more inclined towards belief in a deity than you (since you claimed to be atheist) I have less reason than you to look for issues. However, what's happening today is both glaring and a clear sign that there's trouble ahead.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

OK, Greta, you've finally persuaded me. If Jesus, Mohammed and Moses were so smart, why didn't they address problems like global warming, the proliferation of nuclear weapons, and kids spending too much time on their smart phones? Since Moses spent 40 years wandering through the burning sands of the desert, you'd think global warming might have concerned him more than coveting one's neighbor's wife!

Worse, the Buddha never once mentioned the ozone hole in the atmosphere! Where was his head at!?

Since we humans are supposed to be stewards of the Earth, you'd think Jesus would have told us to eschew air travel, which contributes to indecent expense of fossil fuel.

A rational religion would have gotten rid of "Thou shalt not commit adultery" and replaced it with. "Thou shalt commute to work by bicycle, unless it's raining or snowing."

Even God is far from blameless. When he appeared to Moses in that burning bush, he was pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere!

As Moses might have said, "Oy vey!"
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

What are the gods of man? Fearful immaturity, to tell disciples to grow up is futile, not to mention frustrating.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:02 am OK, Greta, you've finally persuaded me. If Jesus, Mohammed and Moses were so smart, why didn't they address problems like global warming, the proliferation of nuclear weapons, and kids spending too much time on their smart phones? Since Moses spent 40 years wandering through the burning sands of the desert, you'd think global warming might have concerned him more than coveting one's neighbor's wife!

Worse, the Buddha never once mentioned the ozone hole in the atmosphere! Where was his head at!?

Since we humans are supposed to be stewards of the Earth, you'd think Jesus would have told us to eschew air travel, which contributes to indecent expense of fossil fuel.

A rational religion would have gotten rid of "Thou shalt not commit adultery" and replaced it with. "Thou shalt commute to work by bicycle, unless it's raining or snowing."

Even God is far from blameless. When he appeared to Moses in that burning bush, he was pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere!

As Moses might have said, "Oy vey!"
Or, they could try this. Take all of the anger and hatred they feel for gays and transpeople and devote it towards responsible stewardship of nature.

Or is that too wild an idea for you?
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Sy Borg wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Or, they could try this. Take all of the anger and hatred they feel for gays and transpeople and devote it towards responsible stewardship of nature.

"Anger and hatred"? I thought Christians love gay and trans people. That's why they want to turn them from their sinful ways. Besides, if we are going to criticize people for failing to perform what we see as potentially meritorious actions, who (to quote Hamlet) "would 'scape a whipping"?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: April 27th, 2021, 12:02 pm
Sy Borg wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:18 pmOr, they could try this. Take all of the anger and hatred they feel for gays and transpeople and devote it towards responsible stewardship of nature.

"Anger and hatred"? I thought Christians love gay and trans people. That's why they want to turn them from their sinful ways. Besides, if we are going to criticize people for failing to perform what we see as potentially meritorious actions, who (to quote Hamlet) "would 'scape a whipping"?
Oddly enough, there seems to be less enthusiasm to save child molesters. Less love for them perhaps? That's odd, given that Christian institutions molest children at a far higher frequency than in secular ones, so ideally they would focus on fixing that rather than gays and transpeople who are just harmlessly shlepping along, trying to have a good life.

The scale of the Catholic and Protestant Churches' betrayal and hypocrisy was shocking, after decades of being feed nonsense that those religions were the highest moral authority. They now lost a ton of moral authority.

If religions cared, they would work to help slow extinctions and reduce animal suffering, especially given that their "man is divine, with dominion over the soulless beasts" line resulted in enormous unnecessary animal cruelty, and probably before Descartes' grotesque experiments.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Sy Borg wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:52 pm
Oddly enough, there seems to be less enthusiasm to save child molesters. Less love for them perhaps? That's odd, given that Christian institutions molest children at a far higher frequency than in secular ones, so ideally they would focus on fixing that rather than gays and transpeople who are just harmlessly shlepping along, trying to have a good life.

The scale of the Catholic and Protestant Churches' betrayal and hypocrisy was shocking, after decades of being feed nonsense that those religions were the highest moral authority. They now lost a ton of moral authority.

If religions cared, they would work to help slow extinctions and reduce animal suffering, especially given that their "man is divine, with dominion over the soulless beasts" line resulted in enormous unnecessary animal cruelty, and probably before Descartes' grotesque experiments.
To the best of my knowledge, "Christian institutions" never molested any children. People did. And I'm quite certain that most Christians disappprove and are particularly enthusiastic about saving the transgressors. Also, if God can wipe out all the first born Egyptians, and everyone except Noah and his family, why should we expect Christians to help slow extinctions?

I'm guessing that Christians are just as concerned with the environment and with animal cruelty as non-Christians (on average). We could all care more, and do more, but most of us don't care enough, and even those who do could do more. Therefore, your critique seems nonsensical. It seems silly to disparage Christians as hypocrites for failing to do what atheists and agnostics also fail to do. "There is none righteous, no, not one." (I'll grant that the child molestation scandal in the Catholic Church is beyond the pale, and the Church is blameworthy.)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: April 27th, 2021, 8:40 pm
Sy Borg wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:52 pm

To the best of my knowledge, "Christian institutions" never molested any children. People did. And I'm quite certain that most Christians disappprove and are particularly enthusiastic about saving the transgressors. Also, if God can wipe out all the first born Egyptians, and everyone except Noah and his family, why should we expect Christians to help slow extinctions?

I'm guessing that Christians are just as concerned with the environment and with animal cruelty as non-Christians (on average). We could all care more, and do more, but most of us don't care enough, and even those who do could do more. Therefore, your critique seems nonsensical. It seems silly to disparage Christians as hypocrites for failing to do what atheists and agnostics also fail to do. "There is none righteous, no, not one." (I'll grant that the child molestation scandal in the Catholic Church is beyond the pale, and the Church is blameworthy.)
I'll agree to disagree. I stand by my criticisms of church priorities and their massive hypocrisy and betrayal of trust. Whether there are sincere individuals or not, the actions (and inactions) of the institutions as a whole speak louder than any rationalisation.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream