The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

The Toughest Western Philosophers to Read, Grasp and Master?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Burning ghost

Re: The Toughest Western Philosophers to Read, Grasp and Master?

Post by Burning ghost » June 8th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Personally I found both Kant and Heidegger to be a test of patience. Kant delivered more for me than Heidegger (for more) likely before I arrived at Hussserl before either as a spring board.

The one I completely underestimated was Neitzsche. I assumed after reading Beyond Good and Evil I was ready for Thus Spake. I got a third through and realized I needed to start from scratch after reading some of his other stuff. Then I made a start on Birth of Tragedy and made it halfway with many interesting thoughts and notes before admitting I needed to take a huge step back and address Aristotle and Plato through a different lens.

Now I’ve read the Poetics pretty carefully and made a start of several other bits and pieces dealing with “aesthetics” I am slowing feeling like I am in a slightly better position to try again.

Husserl really does push to the limit. I just happened to find many parts of his work resonate with me (I think he was perhaps too cautious in his attempts?) Heidegger takes on part of what Husserl did, and from my perspective, pushes out way, way, way too far (not cautious enough!) - but did stumble across some interesting ground in the process; Wittgenstein seemed to mop up most of his mess about hermeneutics as some weird authority of meaningful unmeaningness of the meaning of meanings - that was my attempt at a piss take of Heidegger btw :)
AKA badgerjelly