Are Transwomen Women?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Name Is Unnecessary
New Trial Member

Re: Are Transwomen Women?

Post by Name Is Unnecessary »

Consul wrote:
do you regard anatomically and hormonally feminized transwoman as a woman
I think I answered - "not definite and absolute women".
Consul

Post by Consul »

Name Is Unnecessary wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 12:57 am
Consul wrote:do you regard anatomically and hormonally feminized transwoman as a woman
I think I answered - "not definite and absolute women".
Well, is "non-definite/non-absolute womanhood" a kind of womanhood?
Intersexuals are neither definitely/determinately female nor definitely/determinately male; but, as I already said several times, transsexuals aren't intersexuals.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Greta wrote: June 1st, 2018, 5:19 pmNo, transwomen are transwomen. They are different. Different upbringing, different genetics, different skeleton. But they are not their original gender either.
So you think transwomen are members of the class of women? This would mean that there are genetically male women who were born as boys; and this would mean that there are two essentially different kinds of women: these ones and genetically female ones who were born as girls.
Moreover, most transgenderist theorists think that neither being genetically female nor being anatomically or/and hormonally female/feminized is a necessary condition of being a woman. If they are right, then there are women who are (unambiguously) both genetically, anatomically (penis, testicles, no female breast [well, some men suffer from gynecomastia]), and hormonally male. Doesn't it sound absurd to you to count such a person among the women?
Greta wrote: June 1st, 2018, 5:19 pmThe current terms are fine. The suggested "transman" is a wildly inappropriate and insensitive term for a transsexual woman (male changed to woman), and vice versa.
I know that "transwoman" is used to refer to a male-to-female transsexual; but, strictly speaking, a transsexual woman isn't a male-to-female transsexual (born as a boy) but a female-to-male transsexual (born as a girl).

By the way, the very terms "male-to-female TS" and "female-to-male TS" are problematic, because they imply that a man can literally become a woman, and vice versa.
Greta wrote: June 1st, 2018, 5:19 pmIf a person feels intensely enough to change their gender then continuing to refer to that person as per the old gender will cause harm. Do you think people have their boobs and wombs removed, and undergo multiple surgeries to construct a rudimentary neo-phallus so as to still be referred to as a type of woman? How undermining would that be to go through all of that and still be called a type of woman?
Much of this comes down to simply allowing outsiders to assimilate into society. So you don't want transpeople who are ostensibly one gender being exposed as trans by the careless use of labels; outing cannot be undone.
My question isn't an ethical or political one, but a metaphysical or ontological one. (This is not to say that an answer to the metaphysical/ontological question doesn't have any ethical, political, or legal implications.)

I reject the transgenderist concepts of femaleness/womanhood and maleness/manhood as very inadequate, according to which biology is totally irrelevant, with sex being nothing but a "social construction" and thus being identical to "gender".
Consul

Post by Consul »

Alias wrote: June 1st, 2018, 6:35 pm
Consul wrote:The question we're discussing here is a matter of truth; and "subjective truth" is just belief (or opinion). The question is precisely whether the belief that transwoman are woman/transmen are men is true!
In my opinion - which, after all, is what we're all here to express - yes, subjective truth is the only legitimate truth regarding identity.
Again, "subjective truth" is just belief, with "p is true for me" simply meaning "I believe that p". Beliefs can be false, including beliefs about oneself and one's identity. Believing to be a woman doesn't entail being a woman, such that this belief isn't self-justifying and necessarily true. So what's the epistemic justication for a transwoman's belief that she (really) is a woman? She might answer "I know I'm a woman, because I feel like a woman". But how does she know what being a woman feels like? Anyway, feeling "like a woman" in the sense of feeling feminine is not the same as being a woman, since a man can feel feminine as well. Moreover, if a transwoman replies "I know what being a woman feels like, because I am a woman", she's caught in circularity.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Consul wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 10:40 am Again, "subjective truth" is just belief, with "p is true for me" simply meaning "I believe that p". Beliefs can be false, including beliefs about oneself and one's identity.
Again, yes, self-identification can be inaccurate.
Identification by an external observer with no access to internal information can be inaccurate.
In the absence of objective, unbiased, comprehensive information,
the former is a more authoritative - and to me, more acceptable - conclusion.
Thus, I have exited the loop in which you seem to have trapped yourself.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Alias wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 11:02 amAgain, yes, self-identification can be inaccurate.
Identification by an external observer with no access to internal information can be inaccurate.
In the absence of objective, unbiased, comprehensive information,
the former is a more authoritative - and to me, more acceptable - conclusion.
Thus, I have exited the loop in which you seem to have trapped yourself.
No, I'm not "trapped in a loop". There are objective biological criteria for (wo)manhood. First and foremost, sex is a biological category.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

By the way Consul you haven't quite cleared up a couple of things.
Let's start with things we agree with.
1. Saying you are a women doesn't mean you are a women.
2. A man who says they are a woman is a man who says they are a woman.
I think that's reasonable. But now for the slightly more complex questions.
3. Can an individual with an unambiguously male physique have a female brain. Can there be such a thing as a female brain? I am wondering what your take on this is?
4. Can a man who says they are female be a female gender?
Unknown means unknown.
Consul

Post by Consul »

I'm still waiting for a logically valid and rationally plausible argument for the view that a transsexual man (born as a boy) who self-identifies as female but is genetically, hormonally, and anatomically (determinately) male is a woman.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eduk wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 12:08 pm3. Can an individual with an unambiguously male physique have a female brain. Can there be such a thing as a female brain? I am wondering what your take on this is?
It needs to be clarified first what a (fe)male brain is, i.e. what neurophysiological criteria there are for attributing (fe)maleness to a brain (rather than to a whole organism).
Eduk wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 12:08 pm4. Can a man who says they are female be a female gender?
"According to Ann Oakley, who introduced the term to sociology, "'Sex' refers to the biological division into male and female; 'gender' to the parallel and socially unequal division into femininity and masculinity' (see Sex, Gender and Society, 1972)."

(Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. Oxford Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. p. 276)

Given these distinctions, "female gender" is a contradiction in terms, because gender concerns (psychological/sociological) femininity rather than (biological/physiological) femaleness. So you may speak of "feminine gender" but not of "female gender" (unless, of course, this phrase is used synonymously with "female sex").
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

It needs to be clarified first what a (fe)male brain is, i.e. what neurophysiological criteria there are for attributing (fe)maleness to a brain (rather than to a whole organism).
Why does it need to be clarified first? If you can't clarify it does that mean you shouldn't consider it? Is it a possibility? For me I'm agnostic, which means I can't simply say it can't be the case.
Given these distinctions, "female gender" is a contradiction in terms, because gender concerns (psychological/sociological) femininity rather than (biological/physiological) femaleness. So you may speak of "feminine gender" but not of "female gender" (unless, of course, this phrase is used synonymously with "female sex").
These are just word games. If someone says they are a woman and they are thinking in terms of gender and not physical attributes then you aren't changing any of their meaning by insisting they say feminine.
Unknown means unknown.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eduk wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
Consu wrote:It needs to be clarified first what a (fe)male brain is, i.e. what neurophysiological criteria there are for attributing (fe)maleness to a brain (rather than to a whole organism).
Why does it need to be clarified first? If you can't clarify it does that mean you shouldn't consider it? Is it a possibility? For me I'm agnostic, which means I can't simply say it can't be the case.
Even if you're agnostic(ally neutral), you need to know what you're agnostic about; and you don't know that unless there is a sufficiently precise definition of "cerebral (fe)maleness".
Eduk wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
Consu wrote:Given these distinctions, "female gender" is a contradiction in terms, because gender concerns (psychological/sociological) femininity rather than (biological/physiological) femaleness. So you may speak of "feminine gender" but not of "female gender" (unless, of course, this phrase is used synonymously with "female sex").
These are just word games. If someone says they are a woman and they are thinking in terms of gender and not physical attributes then you aren't changing any of their meaning by insisting they say feminine.
Semantics matters! Of course, if "(wo)man" is defined as "person who self-identifies as (fe)male", then trans(wo)men are (wo)men. But there are good reasons to reject this definition as very inadequate, because it totally neglects the biology of sex (differences).
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Consul wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 12:07 pm
No, I'm not "trapped in a loop". There are objective biological criteria for (wo)manhood. First and foremost, sex is a biological category.
In which case, you have already answered the question to your own satisfaction.
Why continue discussing it?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

If you like. As I said I think the single best thing you could do is spend quality time with transsexuals. Then you might learn exactly what they do or don't believe and why and for what purpose. You wouldn't have to guess anymore.
Personally I only see it is as a genuine issue in very narrow circumstances such as cheating in Olympic sports.
Unknown means unknown.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:26 pmSemantics matters! Of course, if "(wo)man" is defined as "person who self-identifies as (fe)male", then trans(wo)men are (wo)men. But there are good reasons to reject this definition as very inadequate, because it totally neglects the biology of sex (differences).
Moreover, the definition "x is (fe)male/a (wo)man =def x self-identifies as (fe)male/a (wo)man" is formally improper, because the definiendum is part of the definiens.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eduk wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pmIf you like. As I said I think the single best thing you could do is spend quality time with transsexuals. Then you might learn exactly what they do or don't believe and why and for what purpose. You wouldn't have to guess anymore.
Personally I only see it is as a genuine issue in very narrow circumstances such as cheating in Olympic sports.
The metaphysics/ontology of (wo)manhood is one thing, and the psychology or sociology of transsexuality is another.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream